WICKED LIGHTS REKON TRIPOD SYSTEM

jonesbach

I have been looking at these myself. Look to be very good for shooting of. My issue would be they look very bulky to carry around stalking, foxing at night etc. I have had a set of viper flex quad sticks from when they first came out. The question is would they tripod be better than my quad sticks?

I've been using a set of these for about a month now. Normally use a set of quad sticks and I think you will struggle to match the stability of quad sticks. My problem with the quad sticks was the are not the easiest thing to use while tracking a moving fox. This is where the rekon sticks come Into their own. So much easier to track a moving target. Handy to just slot your rifle in, track your target, tighten up and shoot. Easy to carry, light, and stable enough to shoot rabbits at 300 yards +. Never marked the rifle with the pig saddle. If you are shooting from a static position they are worth their weight in gold, as your rifle is ready to go as soon as you see your target.. Also very handy to leave your rifle on them when you need to take a leak or have a smoke or use your spotter.. These are Definately a keeper for me... 

54 minutes ago, jonesbach said:

Bullet is bitten.....see what they're all about on the weekend hopefully! Main reason for me is for sole foxing, it's a juggling act with quad sticks, rifle, thermal etc. The fact I can now place rifle in a "locked" cradle should really ease the juggling act.  

Or just relax a bit. Keep the rifle on your shoulder get the foxes attention and mount the rifle when he commits or if he stays out. Pre mounting on sticks trying to reach for the thermal and call at the same time is tempting but as you say its then a juggling act.

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Wish you had not put that review up lol

Could be costly for me

They will be for sale on here within 6 months I reckon. 

Your foxes must be a little more relaxed than the ones on my permissions...the minute I have any kind of "attention", shot window is not long enough to set quads, unshoulder rifle, mount on sticks, switch from thermal to NV, line up and take shot..🙈

Never know..mine may end up on here, but I'm very much hoping they aren't😁

14 minutes ago, jonesbach said:

Your foxes must be a little more relaxed than the ones on my permissions...the minute I have any kind of "attention", shot window is not long enough to set quads, unshoulder rifle, mount on sticks, switch from thermal to NV, line up and take shot..🙈

Never know..mine may end up on here, but I'm very much hoping they aren't😁

:lol: yep they don't always go to plan. Will be interested to see what you think of them. I had one of those drop down tripod set ups at one point. It was great for ambush. 

I bought a set  about two months ago, Rangey  is pretty much spot on with his review,  I was using quad sticks as well have been for a few years,  they’re not quite as stable as the quad sticks but there’s not a lot in it  and as said they come into their own for tracking,  The thing I like about them is they are fully adjustable so you can shoot  prone sitting or standing  ideal if you’re static  and they’re quite lightweight and easy to carry like everything they took a bit of getting used to but then  so did my  quad sticks!!!  I wouldn’t be without them now I’ve even used them off the back of my pick up 

• 11 months later...
On 07/11/2019 at 09:18, rangey said:

I've been using a set of these for about a month now. Normally use a set of quad sticks and I think you will struggle to match the stability of quad sticks. My problem with the quad sticks was the are not the easiest thing to use while tracking a moving fox. This is where the rekon sticks come Into their own. So much easier to track a moving target. Handy to just slot your rifle in, track your target, tighten up and shoot. Easy to carry, light, and stable enough to shoot rabbits at 300 yards +. Never marked the rifle with the pig saddle. If you are shooting from a static position they are worth their weight in gold, as your rifle is ready to go as soon as you see your target.. Also very handy to leave your rifle on them when you need to take a leak or have a smoke or use your spotter.. These are Definately a keeper for me... 

Hello, I hope you dont mind me bothering you but I shoot the odd rabbit and do a wee bit of target shooting and im having great difficulty finding a means of keeping steady while shooting from a standing position, I have a bipod which I can manage ok, I have a benchrest and can work ok with that too but recently the rabbits have moved and I dont have the luxury of trees or fences to lean on when taking a shot any longer. I got a lend of a set of quad sticks at the weekend but I was still wobbling all over the place while trying to hit a target at 50m and I was thinking of buying the wicked lights tripod until I read your comment above about struggling to match the stability of quad sticks, I imagined that with the tripod you just locked onto the target, tightened everything up and took the shot which would hit the bullseye but if the quad sticks are more stable than this tripod then that probably isint the case, I understand that it could probably take a bit of time to get used to using quad sticks or to even get to know how to use them properly but if the tripod doesnt provide near benchrest stability from the off then Im probably wasting my time looking at that option, any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated if you would be so kind please.

To be honest I sold the tripod 

Although it was very useful at times it just didn't give me the stability I wanted so I'm back to using quad sticks. These do take a bit of getting use to but they are so stable, tripods are OK but it's the lack of rear support that makes them more unstable than the quad sticks.. Practice with quads... 75% of my shooting is done from sticks

I have a set of these and find them really good for when you are sitting on a bait point and waiting. You can lock the rifle in them and stand back and stretch out and wait then it also gives you your hands free to spot with your thermal ect.  The down side is they are quite big and bulky to walk around with. If they could match these with the primos trigger sticks so fold down and actually work for more then 3 months I would be a happy man

• 1 month later...

Over the 1 year anniversary of using these sticks, and I must say they are the first item in the boot for a night out! Incredible stability when you learn to use them properly, easily allowing shots to 300 yrds (personal limit with .223) with very little movement. The fact that the rifle can just 'sit' on the sticks allowing the thermal scanning just makes them invaluable.  Maybe not everyone's taste, but I'd buy again.

Hi All  i’ve had my recon pod for over a year now still going strong with no problems, I use them all the time for foxing and zero my rifle  off of them too, I  regularly take foxes between 90 and 200 yards with no problems  I would feel confident at taking a 300 yards shot just that situation hasn’t arrived yet, Are they more stable than quad sticks probably not  but  I found them to be really good like anything practice makes perfect.