best Rat poisons

paul1966

at the minute we have lots of rats at the bottom of the garden, we keep two chickens and bring the food in at night but next door have a few more and leave the food out all the time so its that that is attracting them i think. I have unbaited fenn traps set which have caught a couple but also have bait stations down, to start with they took the bait but for the past few weeks they have hardly touched it. I use roshield bait blocks that are Bromadiolone and also switched to rodex2 bait blocks, i did put some rodex whole wheat grain in a box which was taken to start with but now even that is not taken. I feel like i am losing the battle at the minute. I am thinking of baiting the traps but that will only make a small dent to the bigger problem i feel.  Any advice??

I had a recent rat problem and got some of the difenacoum based wax blocks...put a hole through them/tied them down so they couldn't be carried away and they seem to have done the trick...also put a few of the larger rat traps down baited with peanut butter and that also worked....atb...misser  

We use the stuff from these people

https://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/rats-22-c.asp

but the biggest part of the tactic is to eliminate all other food sources or you are just trying to do a King Canute

They wise up to poison, traps etc very quickly because they are incredibly savvy

On the other hand you have endless free air rifle shooting - look on the bright side

Edited by Vince Green

More fenns baited with peanut butter. They prefer chunky stuff but they can steal it to easily, they learnt to lick it off. So I switched to cheap nasty smooth stuff. It was harder for them to lick off the traps. Also if you've got a lot of little young ones about they won't set the traps off which in the short term is a pain but long term they end up getting splatted because they don't realise they're too heavy and set the traps off. I caught 48 in 3 months at the old place. They are neophobic BUT if you move the traps about on their runs and they're used to the smell of the traps you will catch them. Also another trick I use is to bury the traps slightly and then cover with a light, thin layer of soil, sand or shavings depending where they're set. Obviously you have to make sure you have them in a cage or a tunnel so you don't catch stuff other than rats! 

16 hours ago, misser said:

I had a recent rat problem and got some of the difenacoum based wax blocks...put a hole through them/tied them down so they couldn't be carried away and they seem to have done the trick...also put a few of the larger rat traps down baited with peanut butter and that also worked....atb...misser  

this

Fenn traps and peanut butter worked well for me. I made some homemade tunnel traps.

They are very wary to start with but will soon get used to them.

I've also tried poisons but when the rules changed regarding the over the counter stuff, I found it less effective.

I'm a big fan of body count, so prefer traps/air rifle when possible.

As has been said - removing or limiting access to the food source will help. They'll also tend to defer to that first rather than poison. I find that a hungry rat will eat poison, a well fed one won't.

I have used loads of different meathods over the years traps tracking powders baits and they all work to a degree ,when feeding bait if you can find the holes that is the best place to start put a small amount in each hole you can get to  and keep feeding the holes as it is eaten making sure non targeted species can’t get access one other big point if the chicken food has maize in it this is the antidote to rat poison so you will just be feeding the rats use as many methods you can starting with the traps then move on to first generation baits then if they don’t work go to the current poisons there is also a single feed poison brodifacoumb but I doubt you will be able to get it without a ticket hope this helps 

1 hour ago, hedge said:

Fenn traps and peanut butter worked well for me. I made some homemade tunnel traps.

They are very wary to start with but will soon get used to them.

I've also tried poisons but when the rules changed regarding the over the counter stuff, I found it less effective.

I'm a big fan of body count, so prefer traps/air rifle when possible.

As has been said - removing or limiting access to the food source will help. They'll also tend to defer to that first rather than poison. I find that a hungry rat will eat poison, a well fed one won't.

like you say  need to get rid of the food source if possible ! years ago I did some work at an old fashioned maltings and couldn't get my head round the way  The Ratman used to turn up and put down poisoned grain in little card trays when there was tons & tons of grain all over the place !

I just put a bag of traps in the car for tomorrow i guy at work reckons hes got a rat in his loft i like the plastic snappers they come pre baited but i like to tie them down in case i get a foul catch ,For  fen trap melt some chocolate over the plate , Body gripper i use stuff like hazel nuts threaded on to the trigger , but as said place them round the outside of the trapping area and rats are wary of new things and can take up to a fortnight to get caught  so i usually say just have a look at them every day and when somethings caught give me a shout .

but i also say the need food , shelter , and somewhere to hide break the cycle and they move on