Pre-war BSA guns

Blackpowder

20 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

My faithful Army and Navy hammer gun has given up the ghost so to speak and I am looking for a replacement knock about gun.   I like the idea of the pre war BSA  SX S guns do any memebrs on here shoot them and how reliable are they.

Blackpowder

Why a bsa ? Only curious 

id have thought you more a webley type 😊

A mate in our syndicate was shooting a 12 bore Joseph Curry sxs sidelock on our first day last weekend. He did very very well with it. It is a gorgeous gun and was once owned by my nephew, who is now regretting selling it.🙂

I think pre-war BSA guns may be very well worn by now; much better guns out there which will keep their value much better. 

To answer the OP question, pre-war BSA’s are still around and are to be found for sale occasionally. I don’t currently know anyone using one but a mate was using one when I first met him in 1967 and he used it until he made his fortune and ordered a new English gun twenty years ago. The BSA never missed a beat whilst he had it. He gave it away to a young under keeper just starting out. The pre-war BSA was a very strongly made gun,  not over refined perhaps, but very serviceable.

2 hours ago, Blueflame said:

A long time back in the 70’s I had a BSA 30” boxlock 3” Magnum. Weighed just under 8lbs and was a Wonderfull gun to shoot. The barrels on all the BSA’s were Joseph Whitworth fluid pressed steel, very high quality. If you can find a sleeper then you will have a great gun.

My grandad had a BSA as you describe, it was bored cylinder and full and came that way was 5 tons per Square inch and was not joseph whitworth fluid steel in this case but Jessops fluid steel.

Not sure if that dates the gun or what, but it was awesome, a semi pistol grip stock made the same way the old 2.5 inch BSAs were with that little brass pin in the stock that i was told was there from machining the stocks but never knew for sure but they all seemed to have this pin.

Good heavy gun i used 1 1 &7/8ths supper xx winchesters in it through much of the 80s.  I got my grandads 8s and four but my uncle was determined he was having that BSA and  he had chopped 6 inch off the barrels in less than two years of grandad being burried. What a waste it got sold at weller&dufteys sales in the early 90s think it did £3 less comission, the death of a good gun that had been a regular gun for an old wildfowler for 50 years or more.

Rant over but that really peeved me that did i loved that old gun.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 18:08, Blackpowder said:

My faithful Army and Navy hammer gun has given up the ghost so to speak and I am looking for a replacement knock about gun. 

Border Gun Room had a Carr (Huddersfield) hammer gun when I called in a few weeks ago.    Looked to be in sound condition, I think it had 70mm chambers and fairly recent proof (but I might be mistaken there).