Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BG90

Question on Crop dammage [from a beginner]

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I have never really targeted birds/rabbits that cause crop damage before but I am looking into it a bit more, I have done most of my shooting on hill farms, woods and rough ground. Never had much to do with crops and when I have done I cant say that I ever took note of what the damage actually looked like as I was with someone else who knew what they were doing in that respect.

I was just wondering what crop damage looks like from an aerial view? as I was taking a look at farms near me.

 

[ I know that photos like this are out of date by a few years, but I was just wondering what to look out for. I am more interested in rabbits than birds but info on both is welcome.]

https://imgur.com/a/CWCX9mS I have 3 photos, please could someone try to explain what might have caused the lack of crops/ patchiness?

1 is a planting problem maybe??, 2 I am not sure about, and 3 looks like bad ground [this is me guessing]

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the square bare patches look like a machinery/drill malfunction............didnt see the other photos....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the square bare patches look like a machinery/drill malfunction............didnt see the other photos....

Thanks, are the other 2 not showing up? should be lower down the page. I will repost them if not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible excessive water stood in the areas on the second one either washing seed away or causing it not to germinate/rot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BG90 said:

Thanks, are the other 2 not showing up? should be lower down the page. I will repost them if not.

nooo......they are showing up....but i cant see them unless i click on an agreement...which i refuse to do ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will post it up later.

Edited by JDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nooo......they are showing up....but i cant see them unless i click on an agreement...which i refuse to do ......

ohh ok sorry about that, I understand and ye that's totally fair on your part.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know you want to see the others.

go on click the I agree to sell my soul button.

Think the last 1 shows a large lady sunbathing in the field.:hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Possible excessive water stood in the areas on the second one either washing seed away or causing it not to germinate/rot.

Thanks, is there something I should be looking out for?

 

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

The link just takes me to the default bbc page sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the pictures show poor crop establishment rather than pest damage. Heavy or wet land can look like this from aerial views. The first pic looks like either drilling problems or sections of black grass have been sprayed off with weed killer, a common sight these days in june/july.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aga man said:

I would say the pictures show poor crop establishment rather than pest damage. Heavy or wet land can look like this from aerial views. The first pic looks like either drilling problems or sections of black grass have been sprayed off with weed killer, a common sight these days in june/july.

Thanks for the info, was hoping to be able to spot some damage to see what it looks like so I could try to target farms better. Guess I will have to come up with a different plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BG90 said:

Thanks for the info, was hoping to be able to spot some damage to see what it looks like so I could try to target farms better. Guess I will have to come up with a different plan.

A walk of the ground will give you a good idea of what pests are present, maybe not that helpful but here is a picture of some fairly bad rabbit damage on a crop of spring barley.

DSC_0113.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, thank you for that photo aga

I will have to have a drive around and see what I can find, if not I will just have to drop some letters into farms around here and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

go on click the I agree to sell my soul button.

Think the last 1 shows a large lady sunbathing in the field.:hmm:

I bet Ditchy would click the button if it was Fat Sally :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As previously said,,the first pictures are of black grass patches sprayed off with glyphosphate or equivalent. All my farms on the lower edge of North Yorks suffer from this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Velocette said:

As previously said,,the first pictures are of black grass patches sprayed off with glyphosphate or equivalent. All my farms on the lower edge of North Yorks suffer from this.

Thanks, I take it we cant shoot that? ;D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No,,not the Black grass we can't,unfortunately,,,,,but the patches can be useful later in the year when corn is ripe and pigeon may use the gaps and patches to get access to the grain. I used them frequently this last harvest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Velocette said:

No,,not the Black grass we can't,unfortunately,,,,,but the patches can be useful later in the year when corn is ripe and pigeon may use the gaps and patches to get access to the grain. I used them frequently this last harvest.

Nice tip thank you. This is why I like good forums, people are always willing to give pointers and help those with less knowledge :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, martinj said:

I bet Ditchy would click the button if it was Fat Sally  

You mean fat Sarah, she causes mass crop damage if she urinates in a field.

Good at keeping all manner of creatures away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, figgy said:

You mean fat Sarah, she causes mass crop damage if she urinates in a field.

Good at keeping all manner of creatures away.

she had a tiddle in yorkshire ............its on the news.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ditchman said:

she had a tiddle in yorkshire ............its on the news.......

Ha ha 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...