Antique Fishing Tackle Collection

norfolk dumpling

Several years ago an elderly neighbor - now in her 80s - gave me her late father's collection of rods and other gear. There is a 12ft salmon rod (Edgar Sealey), a greenheart pike rod (Martin James), a 9ft trout rod (Milwards) a Hardy box of flies, a centre pin reel (no obvious name) for the pike rod and lots of end tackle for poking. I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any easy way to assess value and possibly sell these items. We are having a bit of a clear out of our box room and 'her indoors' suggested putting them into auction.

Tthe former owner was a gamekeeper to a titled guy and he used to accompany his boss to the Highlands every year to shoot, fish etc.

41 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Several years ago an elderly neighbor - now in her 80s - gave me her late father's collection of rods and other gear. There is a 12ft salmon rod (Edgar Sealey), a greenheart pike rod (Martin James), a 9ft trout rod (Milwards) a Hardy box of flies, a centre pin reel (no obvious name) for the pike rod and lots of end tackle for poking. I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any easy way to assess value and possibly sell these items. We are having a bit of a clear out of our box room and 'her indoors' suggested putting them into auction.

Tthe former owner was a gamekeeper to a titled guy and he used to accompany his boss to the Highlands every year to shoot, fish etc.

And pinch his rods!:P

Pictures would be nice.

Ok I've got to photo them soon for some guy up north who is interested. I think the boss was loaded and treated the guy to a few items so they could fish together. Local knowledge says guy was a big gun dog trainer 60-70 yrs ago so this could have been reward for a field trial champ?? Lady who gave them to me is a little 'gaga' these days so can't check but 3 of the rods - those with 'good' names are in very good order.

Look at Ebay prices for antique tackle, named stuff goes for silly money. Edgar Sealey will fetch just for the name.

I still use some tackle that my grandad left me, unfortunately I was broken into in the 90s and lots went.

If you put a picture of the centrepin  up, I'll try and identify it for you. I have several, in wood,  bacolite, brass and even some that have porcelain edges. I currently use one that's a mere 50 years old and still better than the mass produced poo of today. 

Good luck with it all