Menus, get over yourself...

henry d

Someone just posted this on faceache from one of their local restaurants;

Lindisfarne mead smoked salmon with fresh crab and caviar (?)

Wood pigeon with wild mushrooms and whisky preserve (are the mushrooms preserved with whisky...sugar? or is the whisky preserved...and what with?)

Celeriac cappuccino with black pepper and truffle (Coffee and celeriac?)

Mixed seafood paella of pork, crab, mussels... (I like pork and seafood, and its certainly mixed)

The mind boggles

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

Wood pigeon with wild mushrooms and whisky preserve (are the mushrooms preserved with whisky...sugar? or is the whisky preserved...and what with?)

Mixed seafood paella of pork, crab, mussels... (I like pork and seafood, and its certainly mixed)

The mind boggles

At a restaurant in France last month even my French colleagues were struggling to understand what the menu actually meant, what chance did I have, none.

29 minutes ago, henry d said:

The mind boggles

Menu sounds great 🙂 What gets me about eating out in Scotland is the kitchen's shut so early. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Have you booked a table?

A bit far away

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

Menu sounds great 🙂 What gets me about eating out in Scotland is the kitchen's shut so early. 

Tell me about it, even in England! We went to a tapas bar in Newcastle and were happily enjoying a meal, wine and chat and they asked if we wanted anything else as they were shutting the kitchen...9pm! We hadn`t even finished our pre-meal drinks in Spain at that time of night last month and the menus were easily understood, calamares a la plancha (grilled squid), gambas pil pil, patatas bravas, entrecote, perdiz.... no cappuccinos, foams, preserves and if there is mixed meats in paella its mixed!

Edited by henry d

Whisky preserve = whisky jam or marmalade.

The mead is a marinade and the coffee is just as it states. 

The thing which annoys me about many Scottish pub restaurants is that children aren’t allowed in after 7pm, unless things have changed in the last five or six years. 

Edited by Scully

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

The thing which annoys me about many Scottish pub restaurants is that children aren’t allowed in after 7pm, unless things have changed in the last five or six years. 

That to me is an excellent idea, there is nothing quite like having your evening spoilt be some screaming brat who is going to throw their food all over the place because they are tired. This is one of the reasons I go to grown up pubs and restaurants and avoid places like Weatherspoons and Hungry horse pubs along with the fact the food is ****.

58 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

That to me is an excellent idea, there is nothing quite like having your evening spoilt be some screaming brat who is going to throw their food all over the place because they are tired. This is one of the reasons I go to grown up pubs and restaurants and avoid places like Weatherspoons and Hungry horse pubs along with the fact the food is ****.

We can only blame the parents for unruly brattish behaviour. Neither of mine were like that. I used to find it annoying that while in East Lothian we had to sit outside if we wanted a meal after 7ish, and if you had a dog with you you couldn’t even go in! Not very family friendly. 
Have never been in a Weatherspoons or a Hungry horse so I’ll have to take your word for the food quality. 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

We can only blame the parents for unruly brattish behaviour. Neither of mine were like that. I used to find it annoying that while in East Lothian we had to sit outside if we wanted a meal after 7ish, and if you had a dog with you you couldn’t even go in! Not very family friendly. 
Have never been in a Weatherspoons or a Hungry horse so I’ll have to take your word for the food quality. 

Agreed, very many Scottish pub restaurants could learn a lot from how it is done in England and it is not all down to licensing laws either.

Whenever we've seen young kids misbehaving in restaurants I've pointed out to my spawn that they did that ONCE, and similarly when we get held up by old folk fumbling along or forgetting what they want to order at the bar I point out that they too might be lucky enough to reach that age one day. It's called tolerance, something seemingly lacking in today's society.

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Whenever we've seen young kids misbehaving in restaurants I've pointed out to my spawn that they did that ONCE, and similarly when we get held up by old folk fumbling along or forgetting what they want to order at the bar I point out that they too might be lucky enough to reach that age one day. It's called tolerance, something seemingly lacking in today's society.

👍

I love a bit of pretentious food! I bet the celeriac cappuccino is a soup with lots of foam on top, served in a cup.  

I do pigeon with sherry and pomegranate syrup. I bet the whisky jam would be a similar combination of alcohol and fruity sweetness. 

One of my favourite things to do in restaurants is to ask the wait staff to clarify what the menu items are. Usually they know and are happy to explain, once they get over the surprise that someone will admit to ignorance.

18 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

So if you are so tolerant why do you feel the need to point anything out .

Some friends of ours took us to a lovely restaurant in Spain with an amazing menu.  I ordered what I thought was something really exotic. Special potatoes from somewhere in the world, And line caught fish from only one part of the Atlantic. Cooked in a special way. I forget the exact wording. I was exited until it came. What had I ordered? FISH AND CHIPS. Was nice though.

9 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Some friends of ours took us to a lovely restaurant in Spain with an amazing menu.  I ordered what I thought was something really exotic. Special potatoes from somewhere in the world, And line caught fish from only one part of the Atlantic. Cooked in a special way. I forget the exact wording. I was exited until it came. What had I ordered? FISH AND CHIPS. Was nice though.

Merluza frita y patatas bravas....?

The thing that bugs me on menus is the insistence in referring to gravy as Jus, cheese as artisan, or chips as fries. Fish is always pan fried and line caught, I just want to eat it, how you caught it or cooked it is of no interest to me.   

Edited by Vince Green

31 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The thing that bugs me on menus is the insistence in referring to gravy as Jus, cheese as artisan, or chips as fries. Fish is always pan fried and line caught, I just want to eat it, how you caught it or cooked it is of no interest to me.   

And the one that gets me more than most is the insistence on calling Bass (I have known it as bass for over 65 years) "Sea Bass":mad:

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

And the one that gets me more than most is the insistence on calling Bass (I have known it as bass for over 65 years) "Sea Bass"

A pet hate of mine.

Sea Mackerel, anyone, or perhaps some sea cod?

Sea Bream (a perciform) I can get, to differentiate from the Common or Bronze and Silver Breams (cyprinids) which inhabit fresh water.

24 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

And the one that gets me more than most is the insistence on calling Bass (I have known it as bass for over 65 years) "Sea Bass"

20 minutes ago, Penelope said:

A pet hate of mine.

Sea Mackerel, anyone, or perhaps some sea cod?

Sea Bream (a perciform) I can get, to differentiate from the Common or Bronze and Silver Breams (cyprinids) which inhabit fresh water.

Yup, my Mrs usually pipes up "I knew you were going to say that..." when I shout; "It`s a BASS!!!!!!!!!" at some chef/critic/personality on the TV!

Hopefully there will be a nice plump sea cod that fancies some sea squid, sea clam and sea mackerel cocktail just 75mts out in the surf tonight!

On 08/11/2019 at 17:38, Vince Green said:

In Scotland you don't see much "illegally netted salmon" or "poached venison" on the menu but you get to see quite a lot on your plate. 

Hotel on Tweedside had,@poached salmon' on dining room menu.  A visit from the bailiffs ie river police ensued who began to question, (almost said  grilll) the chef about the source of his salmon. Chef  in turn asked,"had they never heard of poached eggs".