Menus, get over yourself...

henry d

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

saw a menu the other day that proudly announced "hand carved " turkey....what no laser !! 

many menus seem to be pretentious twaddle

They are and it is all for the ridiculous sensibilities of those with more money than sense.

A good friend of mine is a well travelled Chef and we often point out these oddities, although I will say we both appreciate good cooking, but can't abide the unnecessarily verbose menus.

I was once at a Game Fair - and was invited to lunch in a business enclosure with a well to do, but very plain speaking businessman from Birmingham.  The food was a long cold buffet table and you picked up a plate and waiters/waitresses offered each item as you walked along with your plate, cold beef, ham, sliced turkey, Quiche Lorraine etc.  My Brummie friend, when asked "Would you like a slice of Quiche Lorraine, Sir?" replied in his best Brummie accent, "No thanks, but I'd like a piece of that bacon & egg pie please".

On 08/11/2019 at 13:35, Yellow Bear said:

And the one that gets me more than most is the insistence on calling Bass (I have known it as bass for over 65 years) "Sea Bass"

So you'd like - pan fried Sea bass with oven baked chips with a side of artisan bread? 

I am with you on the Bass, it isn't sea Bass!!!! 

Edited by ShootingEgg

Its like that a lot,  the misuse of French to add some sort of false status or validity, a while back we went into a place in London and the whole menu was in French. Top to bottom.

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I was once at a Game Fair - and was invited to lunch in a business enclosure with a well to do, but very plain speaking businessman from Birmingham.  The food was a long cold buffet table and you picked up a plate and waiters/waitresses offered each item as you walked along with your plate, cold beef, ham, sliced turkey, Quiche Lorraine etc.  My Brummie friend, when asked "Would you like a slice of Quiche Lorraine, Sir?" replied in his best Brummie accent, "No thanks, but I'd like a piece of that bacon & egg pie please".

restararant 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

So you'd like - pan fried Sea bass with oven baked chips with a side of artisan bread? 

I am with you on the Bass, it isn't sea Bass!!!! 

Not a chance ,  I had so much of the stuff for my first 18 years I now cannot stand it.  As a youth one of the main fish we caught was bass but you could not give it away, so at some times of the year we had it 3-4 times a week:crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Edinburgh last year and the food scene has gone mental up there - The quality of produce and methods of serving it are both damn tasty and very inventive - Kitchin in Leith, Forage and Chatter and then Angel With Bagpipes all blew me away.

I'm all over the place with food - I love a bacon sandwich on cheap white bread, a doner kebab and i'm no stranger to KFC, but i do love to go to good Michelin starred  restaurants and have what a lot of people would call poncey food that wouldn't fill a dormouse. The flavours, textures and just the whole experience is sublime - It's not all about stuffing yer face!! If you don't get it, you don't get it and that's fine - If all you want is a plain steak and chips, crack on.