Jacks Game

Aled

Hello All

Whilst flicking through You Tube last night watching a few Wildfowling & Fishing clips (as you do when the wife is at Choir practise and you have the TV to yourself!) I came across the Jacks Game series. I watched the mink hunting film, and it brought back a few memories. Now then this series was on mainstream TV at some point, and I can remember watching the Beagling  programme on TV as kid, along the way I saw a video of the game fishing and ferreting programme. Can anyone on here remember which TV channel and what year it was on? I seem to remember BBC2 in the early 80's but I'm not entirely sure. Information appreciated.

Cheers

Aled

19 minutes ago, Aled said:

Thanks guys, did Yorkshire TV show it out anywhere else or was it only in Yorkshire? I'm sure I saw it on Terrestrial TV (as was then) at some time.

Cheers

Aled

I am pretty sure it was broadcast nation wide as we saw the series down this way in the sticks and it was either late 70s or early 80s.

It was always local TV, so down our way Southern Television, or Thames TV back in the day,

one of my favorite episodes is when he fishes a cattle drink for Roach on Romney Marsh in the middle of winter, they have to break the ice to fish. 

Just now, marsh man said:

I am pretty sure it was broadcast nation wide as we saw the series down this way in the sticks and it was either late 70s or early 80s.

Yes MM it was 70s 80s  only seems like last week 😎

Some of the ones mentioned above are new to me as I cant say I have seen them , I have got most of the ones shown on the old fashion video , without looking them up , I can remember , Rabbiting with Ferrets , Goose shooting , Game shooting , Grouse shooting , Pigeon shooting and I believe there was one on Deer stalking .  

Great series remember watching the episodes with ferrets and the two men with smart jack Russell's. 

Then there was the great episode with the late Archie coates on pigeons of course. 

Remember there being one on roebucks and another after stags

Plus many more that are well worth looking up on YouTube

Thanks all: Right just done some more research, he did another 2 programmes, one (as mentioned) called salmon run, and another called Go Fishing. Now that one definitely was on mainstream TV, I remember watching that one vividly, I think I mixed up some episodes of that with Jacks Game. According to youtube Jacks Game came out in 1983. Must say a far more honest country sport programme, thoroughly enjoyed the mink hunting programme, wish i'd gone out with the West Wales Mink Hounds now before the ban.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

21 hours ago, Aled said:

Thanks all: Right just done some more research, he did another 2 programmes, one (as mentioned) called salmon run, and another called Go Fishing. Now that one definitely was on mainstream TV, I remember watching that one vividly, I think I mixed up some episodes of that with Jacks Game. According to youtube Jacks Game came out in 1983. Must say a far more honest country sport programme, thoroughly enjoyed the mink hunting programme, wish i'd gone out with the West Wales Mink Hounds now before the ban.

Cheers

Aled

A good friend and shooting mate of mine was the three counties Minkhounds huntsman telling Jack what was going on, in that episode of Jacks game! He was also joint master of the Warwickshire Beagles!.........a very knowledgable fieldsportsman!

Panoma1: Is that IC he was guest speaker at our angling club dinner back in the mid 90's he caught a cracking sea trout the following summer, I've got a picture I need to send to him been meaning to send  it to him for years!

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

2 hours ago, Aled said:

Panoma1: Is that I.C. he was guest speaker at our angling club dinner back in the mid 90's he caught a cracking sea trout the following summer, I've got a picture I need to send to him been meaning to send  it to him for years!

Cheers

Aled

PM sent.

Edited by panoma1

I think it went national on Channel 4. I loved it then and I still do. I remember it being on at (3pm) Sunday afternoon (well before watershed.) Someone (I think it was here on PW) said that after the wildfowling/goose shooting programme,  that Jack tried to pinch some of  Arthur Cadman's shooting grounds. 

I hope it's not true but it could be that our jack was pretty self-serving. 

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

I think it went national on Channel 4. I loved it then and I still do. I remember it being on at (3pm) Sunday afternoon (well before watershed.) Someone (I think it was here on PW) said that after the wildfowling/goose shooting programme,  that Jack tried to pinch some of  Arthur Cadman's shooting grounds. 

That the story I heard!

Most of them I still have on video the one I did not record was the one  on goose shooting , I still think of the one that his two mates and himself made on their rough shoot  quite a few  cock ups and the noise they made I think every pheasant in the next county heard them. but they enjoyed the day

Feltwad

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

Not only is that true, it’s only half the story. When Arthur told him they had shot enough geese, Jack refused to stop shooting and they had a big row. Also, on the stalking programme with Lea McNally, Jack wounded his stag which Lea had to follow up and then Lea had to shoot one properly for the cameras. McNally didn’t suffer fools at all and never had a good word to say about Jack. I used to shoot grouse with Ken Aldridge who took Jack out for the grouse programme. He wasn’t over fond of  Mr. Charlton either. Apparently, a very greedy, poor sportsman.