Jacks Game

Aled

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

I think it went national on Channel 4. I loved it then and I still do. I remember it being on at (3pm) Sunday afternoon (well before watershed.) Someone (I think it was here on PW) said that after the wildfowling/goose shooting programme,  that Jack tried to pinch some of  Arthur Cadman's shooting grounds. 

I hope it's not true but it could be that our jack was pretty self-serving. 

At the time as has been mentioned before on here, there was a very strong rumour that Archie Coats was lucky to survive the encounter for the pigeon shooting episode.

Loved Jacks Game. I watched most of them years ago as a friend had them all on VHS and he loaned them to me.I bought the Wildfowling one on VHS and like Steve B Wales,I  transferred it onto DVD. I actually done the same with all my shooting videos.

As for Jack himself. Who knows what really happened and could possibly be only rumours.I always took Jack to be very well mannered and courteous  and complimentary to his hosts on the programmes. A straight talking Northern lad with a deep and understanding passion for the countryside and country sports.

A legend in my eyes.

Edited by SuperGoose75

19 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Loved Jacks Game. I watched most of them years ago as a friend had them all on VHS and he loaned them to me.I bought the Wildfowling one on VHS and like Steve B Wales,I  transferred it onto DVD. I actually done the same with all my shooting videos.

As for Jack himself. Who knows what really happened and could possibly be only rumours.I always took Jack to be very well mannered and courteous  and complimentary to his hosts on the programmes. A straight talking Northern lad with a deep and understanding passion for the countryside and country sports.

A legend in my eyes.

Having met him and picked up behind him, I have to say he was ...................er.......NOT too selective  !

Not just rumours about Jack Charlton. I was told the Lea McNally stalking story by Ken McArthur, a close friend of Lea himself. I was told the Arthur Cadman goose story by a relative of Arthur, John Cadman. Ken Aldridge told me Mr. Charlton was not welcome back on his grouse moor. The stories were similar all the way through.

On 07/11/2019 at 11:13, Aled said:

Hello All

Whilst flicking through You Tube last night watching a few Wildfowling & Fishing clips (as you do when the wife is at Choir practise and you have the TV to yourself!) I came across the Jacks Game series. I watched the mink hunting film, and it brought back a few memories. Now then this series was on mainstream TV at some point, and I can remember watching the Beagling  programme on TV as kid, along the way I saw a video of the game fishing and ferreting programme. Can anyone on here remember which TV channel and what year it was on? I seem to remember BBC2 in the early 80's but I'm not entirely sure. Information appreciated.

Cheers

Aled

Channel 4.

On 07/11/2019 at 19:03, JDog said:

Jack did a very good one with Arthur Cadman who I had the privilege to meet in Banffshire. He was a fascinating and understated man whose knowledge of migratory geese in his area was unsurpassed.

A true naturalist.

On 07/11/2019 at 20:22, Aled said:

Thanks all: Right just done some more research, he did another 2 programmes, one (as mentioned) called salmon run, and another called Go Fishing. Now that one definitely was on mainstream TV, I remember watching that one vividly, I think I mixed up some episodes of that with Jacks Game. According to youtube Jacks Game came out in 1983. Must say a far more honest country sport programme, thoroughly enjoyed the mink hunting programme, wish i'd gone out with the West Wales Mink Hounds now before the ban.

Cheers

Aled

Go Fishing was on BBC2, as was the match angling competition programme, 'Hooked'.

9 hours ago, London Best said:

Not just rumours about Jack Charlton. I was told the Lea McNally stalking story by Ken McArthur, a close friend of Lea himself. I was told the Arthur Cadman goose story by a relative of Arthur, John Cadman. Ken Aldridge told me Mr. Charlton was not welcome back on his grouse moor. The stories were similar all the way through.

Er........neither was Mr. Aldridge   !     😂

On 8 November 2019 at 13:17, steve_b_wales said:

My video's were converted to DVD

The DVD has: Mink,Pigeon,Wildfowling,Rabbit,Hare,Pheasant,Buck,Grouse and Roughshooting on it.

I've got quite a few shooting related videos that I wanted to put onto DVDs but when I enquired at a local shop, was told that they could only put one video on per DVD at about £10 a time. That didn't seem right to me as surely one DVD has at least 2 hrs playing time and each of my videos are about 1/2 hour. Think that they were having a laugh. Any ideas of where I could take them ?

OB

17 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I've got quite a few shooting related videos that I wanted to put onto DVDs but when I enquired at a local shop, was told that they could only put one video on per DVD at about £10 a time. That didn't seem right to me as surely one DVD has at least 2 hrs playing time and each of my videos are about 1/2 hour. Think that they were having a laugh. Any ideas of where I could take them ?

OB

There's a firm near me who charge the same. Plus, if they video's are protected, they won't do it. I had mine from a friend of a friend of a friend. Many years ago, I used to copy video's onto DVD's by means of a combo video/dvd player. I've still got it but lost the instructions. It was simple to do though, insert the video/blank dvd disc and transfer between the two. But, that would only work with non protected video discs. There's a few online companies that offer this facility, but I think the video's have to be unproteced. I'll ask my mate if he knows anyone.

Give me the names of the shooting video's and I'll check if they've been copied onto dvd's.

Steve.

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

There's a firm near me who charge the same. Plus, if they video's are protected, they won't do it. I had mine from a friend of a friend of a friend. Many years ago, I used to copy video's onto DVD's by means of a combo video/dvd player. I've still got it but lost the instructions. It was simple to do though, insert the video/blank dvd disc and transfer between the two. But, that would only work with non protected video discs. There's a few online companies that offer this facility, but I think the video's have to be unproteced. I'll ask my mate if he knows anyone.

Give me the names of the shooting video's and I'll check if they've been copied onto dvd's.

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve. I'll sort them out later and let you know.

Many thanks

OB

4 minutes ago, Big Al said:

If you still have a working video, it could be done at home? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303332586621

I've actually got this device, and a working video, but have never tried to transfer the video's onto my computer.

4 minutes ago, Big Al said:

If you still have a working video, it could be done at home? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303332586621

My old TV and video went to the charity shop a couple of years ago, but thanks for the reply and link though.

OB

Blimey! Some of the stories about Jack are quite surprising, never knew any of those stories. Something did cross my mind though: after watching his salmon run programme where he talked about timeshare groups buying out salmon fishing, it did cross my mind that he only once mentioned angling associations, who were also warily watching timeshare groups at the time.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled