Getting the long rods out again

henry d

As my wife is off out to Bongo Bingo with friends tonight, the NE`ly is calming down and the frosts have arrived, its time to get the long rods out, scrabble about in the freezer for some shellfish, mackie, sandeel and squid and see if there are any cod along the rock edges tonight.

Hopefully there will be a report sometime tomorrow...?

2 hours ago, henry d said:

If I were coming into sea fishing now I would be looking at LRF. Basically it is tiddler fishing but is great fun and also accessible by children too.

agreed and really good fun, can use the same gear for perch chub and pike as well. seen a few cod laded down south on WSF but dont know about up your way. 

tight lines!

Yeah even as far south as the Tamar according to one report. There are whispers of a few decent fish coming off but I`m just getting itchy fingers as I didn`t get out in the kayak as much as I wanted and there is no way I can know how the weather will be for my next day off,  so as the surf is dropping a little hopefully there will be not too much weed and a few hungry mouths in among the ledges and the kelp.

Not really, my LRF rod is 6ft something and casts 0.5-7 gm and this is the boss with her HRF rod which casts 10-20gm.

Most LRF is fishing for micro species like pollack coalfish scorpion fish blennies and the like some even fish rockpools. My LRF rod was sub £20 iirc from Go outdoors and I had a tiny 1000 size reel from Aldi a few years ago and the rest is consumables so it doesn`t have to cost too much.

3 hours ago, yates said:

LRF?

Light rock fishing.

Nothing to report, some other guys were on the ledge I would have liked to fish so I fished between two rock scars a gully of mixted sand, rock and kelp. Both scars have cut offs and as I was fishing alone I kept to the shore side. There is a submerged reef 200yds out which the sea breaks on from low tide so the gully was calm and I had small bites from the off, probably flatties as they rattled then stopped, and so on.

Once the tide had made to about half way to high the reef could not hold the breakers back and I hoped the cod would come in, but it was like soup, I had what I hoped was a slack line bite but turned out to be a large clump of kelp, back home before midnight.

It has been absolutely rubbish recently! I've been trying to put together a review of my new (to me) kayak and it's just been one strong blow after another. I'm thinking of forcing a weather window tomorrow and hitting Portland Harbour tomorrow. I can find some protection on the walls at least! Reports of Chesil have been pretty good for the shore anglers and it's been tempting me into shore fish, which I've never done properly. Apart from anything the nights spent with the rods out alone in the dark with a head torch seem really appealing!

Less so if the fishing's shocking though...

Where would you start with shore fishing, Malks? multipliers or fixed spools? rod length?

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

It has been absolutely rubbish recently! I've been trying to put together a review of my new (to me) kayak and it's just been one strong blow after another. I'm thinking of forcing a weather window tomorrow and hitting Portland Harbour tomorrow. I can find some protection on the walls at least! Reports of Chesil have been pretty good for the shore anglers and it's been tempting me into shore fish, which I've never done properly. Apart from anything the nights spent with the rods out alone in the dark with a head torch seem really appealing!

Less so if the fishing's shocking though...

Where would you start with shore fishing, Malks? multipliers or fixed spools? rod length?

hello, i have fished the Portland  beach on the right hand side going over about 200/300 yards down from the pub in a good westerly wind can get bass within a good 30/40 yard cast, caught my best bass off west bay, was a good tackle shop on the Portland road and in West bay, king rag if you can still buy, night fishing is the best time but you will need some good thermals, i had an all in 1 thermal suite under a top coat, leggings and wellies, living up in south oxon i use to phone the tackle shops to see what was being caught and where also to order bait, drive down saturday if a good high tide around 10pm so fish 8pm till 12pm,  buy this book, Sea Fishing in Dorset by Hugh Stoker (later edition), gives you all the info on Chesil beach fishing, my beach caster is 12ft with a fixed spool reel but its big, 18/20llb running line and 40/50/60 llb casting shock leader, i made all my own traces, 2 hook flatties/single hook bass/ a good rod rest, i have a 3 legged Ian Golds jobby and a spiky rest with a bottom cup for sandy beaches,  , any more info just PM, cheers, i think there is still a box of casting leads in my sons shed, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

15 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Different kind of fishing here, rock ledges, kelp jungles, short casts and broomstick rods. I use a multi as thats what I grew up on for the rough stuff, but have a shimano FS if the wind is howling as there is nothing worse than a birdsnest and numb fingers. 30/50lb braid with 60 shock leader and a 6/0 sakuma manta pennell pulley, with "canny" rotten bottom link clips and a 5-7oz DCA breakout lead on a 20/25lb rotten bottom. Rod of choice is a Greys Apollo Mk1.

I`m not sure what to suggest for down there but rod wise something lighter and longer (conti rod?) and probably FS, terminal tackle you would know better than me.

6 hours ago, henry d said:

Different kind of fishing here, rock ledges, kelp jungles, short casts and broomstick rods. I use a multi as thats what I grew up on for the rough stuff, but have a shimano FS if the wind is howling as there is nothing worse than a birdsnest and numb fingers. 30/50lb braid with 60 shock leader and a 6/0 sakuma manta pennell pulley, with "canny" rotten bottom link clips and a 5-7oz DCA breakout lead on a 20/25lb rotten bottom. Rod of choice is a Greys Apollo Mk1.

I`m not sure what to suggest for down there but rod wise something lighter and longer (conti rod?) and probably FS, terminal tackle you would know better than me.

Thanks for that, I shall mull a bit more!

Kayak fishing? write off. 35mph winds ruled out even the harbour. booo.

Last time I shore fished off North Blyth /Cambois was 45 years ago Just bought some second hand gear a few weeks ago to get back into a bit of fishing and had a short session today  .

Got exactly the same catch as I did the last time I fished KELP.😁.

Won't stop me getting out again.

• 3 weeks later...