Is There A Demand For Wild Rabbits ?

marsh man

Having received the latest B A S C magazine this morning I noticed a advert for frozen Rabbits at £1.50 each , they need to be old Rabbits and they will collect throughout the country .

Nice little earner for you ferreters out there , you wont get rich overnight but a good size freezer should hold a nice lot and a hundred Rabbits for £150 is not to be sneezed at .

I wonder where they will end up ??:hmm:

1 minute ago, captainhastings said:

Dog food would imagine. I would imagine they have a minimum collection but you could stockup 

I would think there are cheaper ways to me dog food.

My guess would be export as I can't imagine demand for any number in this country.

Edd

Blimey, I only used to get 3 Bob from the village butcher for fresh rabbits ! That was in the early 60s though. :whistling: Also used to take the odd one or two to school for dissection in Biology lessons. Got 3 Bob for a healthy rabbit, but 3/6d if it had tapeworm as that was more interesting for us to examine. Funny how the tapeworms were still alive long after the rabbits died. Still able to feed I suppose.  

A good little earner to subsidise the Eley .410 cartridges from the local hardware store. Happy days. The rabbit shooting, not school.:no:

OB

On 08/11/2019 at 21:54, Vince Green said:

I'm not entirely sure how legal it is to sell meat products these days without the right registration. All this overbearing "big brother is watching you" legislation has meant shoots can't sell their pheasants etc 

A lot of shoots now have at least one person registered as having done the Lantra  small and large game course via the NGO which gives you a hunter number allowing you to sell into the human food chain following inspection. It is no different to what we have always done, hanging game up to cool as soon as it is shot in braces, discarding game you would not eat yourself and ensuring it is cooled to 4 c or below at the end of the day and not allowed to warm up. If it is deer the only difference is cool to 7 c  -  but if you have a larder and set it to 4 then you are covered either way and the venison does not mind being cooler. It is such a load of ******** - I reckon pretty much everyone on here is perfectly capable through experience of handling and sorting game of all sorts. Possibly some have not done the deer but it does not take long to learn a few specifics and is not much different to rabbits.

• 1 month later...