Black Fox

stoggieman

Tonight while returning home from visiting my wife who is in hospital a black fox ran across the road in front of my car I have never seen a pure black fox before. If anything it looked to have a heavier coat than a normal fox But it was certainly a fox. I wonder if anyone else has seen a black fox in their travels ?

Some foxes have a lot of black in their coat, especially if its the winter coat but it probably wasn't pure black. There is/was an old dog fox round where I live that I called shaggy, he looked like a german shepherd.. It seems more common in urban foxes 

Round here we have black squirrels in Ruislip woods going down to Northwood golf club,  but when you get up close they are just very dark grey.  

About 15 years ago me and my dad had what looked to be a black cat about the size if not bigger than a fully grown labrador walk across the front of his car just as we pulled away from our house about 10pm on the night driving from our house to collect my sister frim work. We were abit like ok.. what on earth was that... thinking we had lost our minds... few weeks later it had snowed and where we lived we backed onto a forrest with a mill and lake. My dads back garden was great for testing the rifle as it was 100m dead. He had spotted some paw prints infront of each other and came and got me. We followed it to a big 7/8 foot hedge and no prints. Our neighbour had said have you veen the prints as what ever it was had looked like it jumped the hedge.

Again a few weeks later the snows cleared and me and my dad went to the bottom of the garden into the field with a tourch and were looking for rabbits and foxes.. all eyes low level for the foxes untill we hit few 100 me away green glissen frim the tourch.. about 4 feet up. Slowly it kept moving closer and closer. We bottled it and went in the house.

The next night we did the same and this time we covered our corners 3 oclock and 9 oclock as we were entering the field and boom... to our left approximatly 70m away was this animal... it was a black cat sitting down stairing rite at us then got up we ran....

We reported this and were told the week before a pair or black panthers had escaped from x zoo.. and were please they had been spotted for capture.... these sort of thibgs dont go through your mind when hunting etc but just goes to show you should always be aware of your suroundings

P.s never seen a black fox lol

1 hour ago, Arron yeates said:

About 15 years ago me and my dad had what looked to be a black cat about the size if not bigger than a fully grown labrador walk across the front of his car just as we pulled away from our house about 10pm on the night driving from our house to collect my sister frim work. We were abit like ok.. what on earth was that... thinking we had lost our minds... few weeks later it had snowed and where we lived we backed onto a forrest with a mill and lake. My dads back garden was great for testing the rifle as it was 100m dead. He had spotted some paw prints infront of each other and came and got me. We followed it to a big 7/8 foot hedge and no prints. Our neighbour had said have you veen the prints as what ever it was had looked like it jumped the hedge.

Again a few weeks later the snows cleared and me and my dad went to the bottom of the garden into the field with a tourch and were looking for rabbits and foxes.. all eyes low level for the foxes untill we hit few 100 me away green glissen frim the tourch.. about 4 feet up. Slowly it kept moving closer and closer. We bottled it and went in the house.

The next night we did the same and this time we covered our corners 3 oclock and 9 oclock as we were entering the field and boom... to our left approximatly 70m away was this animal... it was a black cat sitting down stairing rite at us then got up we ran....

We reported this and were told the week before a pair or black panthers had escaped from x zoo.. and were please they had been spotted for capture.... these sort of thibgs dont go through your mind when hunting etc but just goes to show you should always be aware of your suroundings

Was that Forge Mill and lake? Think I remember hearing something about big cats around there, a mate who was a lorry driver said he had seen one run across the Chester Road near Stonnall when he was doing some early morning deliveries.

Edited by old'un

10 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Yeah thats the one mate. Not just me then lol

Many years ago I shot most of the farms around there, the farms were all farmed by the Brown’s, think the whole area is now a nature reserve, have you ever put any crayfish traps in the Tame?

1 hour ago, Arron yeates said:

No never tried to get the crayfish. In the summer in the rite lighting there were plenty of carp biggens to near the surface. Where are you from are you local

No, but I know the area well, you have PM.

Edited by old'un

On 09/11/2019 at 10:18, Arron yeates said:

Definitely a reason to keep a couple AAA's in the breast pocket 😂

i shot one about 12 years ago and dumped it in ditch toldl a friend of mine a few days later he said get it and bring it i will get it stuffed for you .iwent to get it but the scavengers had half eaten it in hind sight should have put it in deep freeze as never seen one since