Alec Steele

fatchap

Anyone watch his YouTube channel? 

Yes he is a tad annoying, has all the toys, brilliant at damascus, obviously from a well heeled family possibly Surrey or Oxford. 

And now he's sold out, His apprentice does most of the video's now, As Alec Steele has shunned blacksmithing in favour of making jewellery, not sure if there is more money in jewellery. But despite his annoying enthusiasm and use of the phrase "Holy Moly" every thirty seconds, I used to enjoy his video's he made some stunning stuff, swords, knives, made a damascus block with the English and American flags pattern, bloke was a master. 

One thing that always bothered me was how he never caught his barnet on fire, I find having no hair or very little to be quite beneficial while operating a full heat forge. Sporting a Rick Astley mop like Alec Steele has can only really end one way.

He is from Norwich and his dad is just a normal bloke.  

I used to enjoy watching him as he learned the trade and his workshop was a gap between some containers and units on an industrial estate. Then he moved out into the sticks to a decent workshop unit and went mad with flags and sword making. Started getting a name and doing collaborations then became almost unbearable to watch, very dramatic.

Soon as he announced he was leaving to go to America I unsubscribed from his channel and not watched any of his videos since.

No doubt he can make some ok Damacus but there are much better blacksmiths out there to watch. Some of the Japanese are artists at it.

I've been watching him for years and met him a couple of years ago at the world skills show. Nice chap, but he's all about his YouTube business. He's a clever lad and knows he'll not get rich smithing, so he's focused on getting more views, subs, likes and selling merch to build a profitable business and it's working for him. I helped get him some welding sponsorship, listening to him talk about the future of his sponsorship you could tell he'd got a totally business oriented head on him.

The move to the sates was driven by his main viewer base being overwhelmingly American, being over there makes it easier and cheaper to run competitions, sell merch, hammers etc. There are also better sponsorship deals out there.

I'll admit I don't watch as religiously as I used to, though do enjoy the odd video now and then

45 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

listening to him talk about the future of his sponsorship you could tell he'd got a totally business oriented head on him.

Fair play to him, after all, he is doing it for a living.

So many UK Youtubers think so small and limited, and then wonder why they can barely scrape by if they do decide to make the leap to full-time.

They also choose to use peculiarly odd British-specific language, make no attempt to clarify what they mean, and wonder why their viewing figures for the rest of the English speaking world are in the toilet.

That's not to say I don't find him a bit...grating.  But when he wants to, he can bash iron with the best of them.

21 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

They also choose to use peculiarly odd British-specific language, make no attempt to clarify what they mean, and wonder why their viewing figures for the rest of the English speaking world are in the toilet.

I do find that unpleasant.  But I always enjoyed Alex Steel,  The Gun Shop, and that father son that bush crafts all those cool building.  

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Totally awesome outdoors nobodyimportant.

The father's totally awesome fishing channel.is also worth a watch.

The gunshop I enjoy most of the uploads. Mudpatten off here is on his Wildfowling videos.

THanks!  I watch them as they come up in my recommendations.  But I never seemed to remember to subscribe.  The gun shop is a little on the dry side but his reviews are very good.