One for the electrians

steve_b_wales

A couple of years ago, I asked on here, about fitting a permanent light up my attic. At the moment, I just have a strip light connected to a lead/plug. I seem to remember that a live power source can be taken from the rose on my bedroom ceiling. But I'm not sure where the actual live supply is on the rose?

The problem these days is 'rules and regs';  I don't believe you are 'allowed' to do this.  Anything not to regs would be liable to be picked up in a survey (for example if you were selling or had an insurance claim).

I would also suggest that if you don't know - or have any way of finding out what is live - it would be better to call in an electrician.

I don't think there's anything against regs to do it as you suggested. As above, if you aren't sure, get a pro into do it.

*Purely for information purposes*, inside a ceiling rose you'll usually see 3 connector blocks. 2 blocks of 3 and 1 block of 2. The 2 block is for the switched live from the light switch and to the light fitting. The block of 3 with blue (black if very old) wires going to it is for the neutrals and the other 3 block with brown wires (red if old) going to it is the permanent live. There's also a connection for the earths. 

Hope this helps whoever does it for you. 👍

29 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Just make sure when or if your working on this as u say. That no one turns the light switch on whilat your up there working on it unless you kill the upstairs lighting circuit first. However if your not sure get some one in. 

Turning the light switch off will only cut the switched live not the supply. 240v will still be present. Always switch the circuit off.

Test before you try I used to fit fish chip shop ranges years ago asked the owner where fuses were I pulled them out went to disconnect range had a nice surprise bloody shock somebody body had wired the lights on range to a plug upstairs bypassed the fuse board I went fxxxxg mad at the owner.

Check the lighting juice is off from the RCD and if necessary run a temporary light from a socket to work by. Check the rose has been correctly wired and test for live with a meter just to be sure - be prepared for a surprise or 2 as numpties are everywhere and some think they can work with electrics. If in doubt pull out and get someone in.