Soaked through!!

Lloyd90

As I set off from home the weather looked good. 

That changed just as we all arrived on the shoot and we had a day of heavy rain. 

We did a few drives but called quits early as the birds weren’t flying well once it really started raining so we left them alone rather than shoot low poor flyers. 

Anyways, at one point I stuck my hand in my jacket pocket and found a puddle 😣... and some of the water was making it through both trousers (jack Pyle) and my coat (Percussion) ...so I am looking for advice on how to wash coat and trousers and re-waterproof them please 👍🏻.

Also what do you do when your carts get wet? My cart bag was absolutely soaked and a load of carts were a bit wet as well. At present they are stacked out with space between them all on the counter top with a fan heater blowing across them all - is that ok?   

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

As I set off from home the weather looked good. 

That changed just as we all arrived on the shoot and we had a day of heavy rain. 

We did a few drives but called quits early as the birds weren’t flying well once it really started raining so we left them alone rather than shoot low poor flyers. 

Anyways, at one point I stuck my hand in my jacket pocket and found a puddle 😣... and some of the water was making it through both trousers (jack Pyle) and my coat (Percussion) ...so I am looking for advice on how to wash coat and trousers and re-waterproof them please 👍🏻.

Also what do you do when your carts get wet? My cart bag was absolutely soaked and a load of carts were a bit wet as well. At present they are stacked out with space between them all on the counter top with a fan heater blowing across them all - is that ok?   

If you are talking about today lloyd then we have had clear Blue skies with not a breath of wind , in fact it was to nice , this afternoon the sun was low and it certainly saved a few Pheasants lives as the guns were looking straight into it.

As for wet cartridges , if they are plastic you can put them in the airing cuboard ,or give them a wipe with a piece of paper kitchen towel and they are then ready to use, paper ones are a bit more difficult but only posh people use them :lol:

I was joking, but I had been shooting 7 years then. If I remember correctly, the first Eley plastic cartridges were 1969, and labelled as Grand Prix Waterproof, or Alphamax or Hymax, whatever you bought. Actually, last week I used a belt full of old Grand Prix I had been given by a widow, 20 were paper and 5 marked GP waterproof. Her husband last shot in 1969. I fired them off at clays and was not a bit surprised that they all worked.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Or people that have not yet finished the box they bought in 1967!

Make you wonder how we ever managed , all the Eley ones were paper when we first bought them , for wildfowling we bought Hymax and Alphamax when we could afford them and they would soon swell up if left in the old wax jacket , I think the only ones that are paper are Impax and maybe some of the Grand Prix .

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

I was joking, but I had been shooting 7 years then. If I remember correctly, the first Eley plastic cartridges were 1969, and labelled as Grand Prix Waterproof, or Alphamax or Hymax, whatever you bought. Actually, last week I used a belt full of old Grand Prix I had been given by a widow, 20 were paper and 5 marked GP waterproof. Her husband last shot in 1969. I fired them off at clays and was not a bit surprised that they all worked.

Not forgetting super game 

I try to use paper case cartridge for all my game shooting 

I just get them dry and pop them through a sizeing ring before the next outing 

A goodly selection of sprays you can use for reproofing these days, just be sure you choose the correct one. Just done my shooting coat and it stood up well a few days ago in fairly wet conditions.  It is a Deerhunter and has been through the washing machine twice and whilst still damp I use a water based proofer and then let it dry or put it in the dryer on low.

Fortunately as I shoot a 410 I can put a whole days shells in my pocket and don't take a cartridge bag to the stand.  The pocket is waterproof so no problems there.

It might be worth remembering that the likes of Nikwax only replaces the outer water repellency on the surface of the jacket. This can in any event, be quickly overwhelmed in heavy rain.They have no beneficial effect on the waterproof membrane and only last a short while until they need replacing.

After time some waterproof membranes can become compromised and fail at which point you might want want to replace the entire jacket because theres nothing you can do if the membrane has become porous. It does help to wash the garment periodically in line with the manufacturers instructions since ingrained dirt, sweat etc. can cause a capiliary action right through the membrane.

It pays to examine how the jacket has failed in heavy rain. Sometimes the sheer volume of water running down the neck or entering the sleeves and back by capilliary action can allow you to get wet, but theres nothing actually wrong with the jacket. At other times the problem lies with shoddy manufacture and the point of ingress is at the seams or, especially with goretex type material, at points of stretch or pressure.

Many of the wash in type proofers whilst temporarily improving surface water beading can actually reduce the effectiveness of some membranes by clogging the pores.

In my experience some of the 'Gore-Tex' clothing (and it's variants) will let water in, if the item is compressed. I have known overtrousers leak in the seat when er..........sat on  ?  I have had otherwise really good jackets,  leak at the shoulders where straps from whatever I was carrying have compressed them.  This does not seem to happen as much,  if the wear areas are made of a double thickness of material.  I have a Shimano bib and brace suit which I use for boat fishing and that is TOTALLY waterproof, I just would NOT want to walk very far when wearing it. I believe that it is all a compromise, if an item is totally waterproof then expect to feel like a boil in bag chicken if any exertion is required.  If it has excellent breathable qualities, expect to get a bit damp  !

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

It might be worth remembering that the likes of Nikwax only replaces the outer water repellency on the surface of the jacket. This can in any event, be quickly overwhelmed in heavy rain.They have no beneficial effect on the waterproof membrane and only last a short while until they need replacing.

After time some waterproof membranes can become compromised and fail at which point you might want want to replace the entire jacket because theres nothing you can do if the membrane has become porous. It does help to wash the garment periodically in line with the manufacturers instructions since ingrained dirt, sweat etc. can cause a capiliary action right through the membrane.

It pays to examine how the jacket has failed in heavy rain. Sometimes the sheer volume of water running down the neck or entering the sleeves and back by capilliary action can allow you to get wet, but theres nothing actually wrong with the jacket. At other times the problem lies with shoddy manufacture and the point of ingress is at the seams or, especially with goretex type material, at points of stretch or pressure.

Many of the wash in type proofers whilst temporarily improving surface water beading can actually reduce the effectiveness of some membranes by clogging the pores.

Gortex was only designed to bend about 50 times or some such as it was only supposed to go to the moon and back.  It has proved to be far more capable and other similar products are now available.  My Deerhunter has never let water in and I just help it out after each wash with a spray coat and after close to ten years it is still A1.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Gortex was only designed to bend about 50 times or some such as it was only supposed to go to the moon and back.  It has proved to be far more capable and other similar products are now available.  My Deerhunter has never let water in and I just help it out after each wash with a spray coat and after close to ten years it is still A1.

Does it rain on the moon?

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Does it rain on the moon?

I don't believe so but my friend in Galveston Texas did say the the material was invented by the space industry for suits.  I know I know there are those who believe they never went but I visited the Galveston facility at NASAand saw the bits and pieces they used, suits etc.

Edited by Walker570