Soaked through!!

Lloyd90

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I don't believe so but my friend in Galveston Texas did say the the material was invented by the space industry for suits.

Well as I understand Mr Gore and his son started to stretch PTFE in 1969 and discovered the breavable nature of the material, patented it and started production in the 1970s.

It is reputedly used in space suits, presumably to allow moisture away from the body, but was not invented by NASA or the space industry.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well as I understand Mr Gore and his son started to stretch PTFE in 1969 and discovered the breavable nature of the material, patented it and started production in the 1970s.

It is reputedly used in space suits, presumably to allow moisture away from the body, but was not invented by NASA or the space industry.

I think they may have had a monetry input somewhere but only going on what I was told at the Space Centre.  Indeed a pretty remarkable bit of developement and now readily copied by other manufacturers. 

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't believe so but my friend in Galveston Texas did say the the material was invented by the space industry for suits.  I know I know there are those who believe they never went but I visited the Galveston facility at NASAand saw the bits and pieces they used, suits etc.

Ahh you must be in on the conspiracy then! 

Ive got percussion rambouillet bottoms which have never let water in, been out in all sorts in them, walked through wet long grass etc, keep the wind out too. 

I know top quality waterproof clothing is expensive, but if it’s proper waterproofing you want then I’m afraid it’s to pay for. 
Musto, Barbour, Country Covers, Laksen are the ones to go for in my experience. None have let me down so far, and mate swears by Harkila gear. Anything Gore-tex is good in my experience , but I’m not too convinced of its ‘breath ability’. 
One pair of leather boots I have are waterproof to within an inch of going over, one has a gore-tex membrane, the other thinsulate! 🙂

36 minutes ago, Penelope said:

You sure? PVA melts in water.

PVA is used extensively in the building trade as both an admix and a sealant. Does Nikwax have polyvinyl acetate as an active ingredient? 
I have used PVA to seal boards prior to painting on. 

Edited by Scully

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

PVA is used extensively in the building trade as both an admix and a sealant. Does Nikwax have polyvinyl acetate as an active ingredient? 
I have used PVA to seal boards prior to painting on. 

I use and have used in various guises for angling.

https://www.banktackle.co.uk/pva-products-80-c.asp