Petersfield Gun Club

Cumbrian

Can anyone recommend this clay shoot for the average (or worse) clay shooter? An acquaintance has suggested it as a venue but it is a little distant from me, so, frankly,  what I really need to know is how difficult are the targets? If they are designed for proper competition CPSA shooters, then they are very, very unlikely to be  suitable for my mediocre level of skill. I don't mind if some are beyond me, but I would like to be able to hit something like 50% +. If it is any guide, I shoot quite happily at 1. Spitfire, near Stockbridge, 2. Lains, near Andover, and 3. the Acorn shoot on the Compton estate near Kings Somborne i.e. I can hit 50% or sometimes 60% + at these grounds. I also used to shoot at Chalky Hill, near Alton and could score in the mid 30s out of 50 on a good day, until I and others got fed up with the queues and ceased to attend. Hope someone can enlighten me. Thank you.

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

Not what you asked but the queues at Petersfield are often horrendous. Try G and L Clays at Lee on Solent after 1200. A good mix of stands and little queueing later in the day with facilities that improve every shoot.

Very helpful reply - thank you. I really can't stand queues nowadays, esp., to be blunt, if caused by complete novices and family outings taking an excessive amount of time when they ought to be catered for on beginners' stands that the organiser can't be bothered to provide for them. We all have to start somewhere but it's the same as not allowing learner drivers onto busy main roads for their initial lessons.

Totally agree! Whilst talking of pet hates, I can`t abide the ditherers who move like snails and then stand in the cage talking to their mates after they`ve finished shooting. Or those who wait until they`re in the cage to get the gun out of its slip. Or the "Can I see a pair" time wasters. No! you`re a carp shot and you`ve been stood behind the cage for the last twenty minutes. Pay attention!

Thank you - yes, I have been there and liked it. Agree about the layout and choice, and I could hit some of the targets, too! But that was mostly when they were able to open on a Tuesday, no longer possible, alas. Otherwise, I have been put off by reports of really bad queueing. Has it really changed?

22 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Totally agree! Whilst talking of pet hates, I can`t abide the ditherers who move like snails and then stand in the cage talking to their mates after they`ve finished shooting. Or those who wait until they`re in the cage to get the gun out of its slip. Or the "Can I see a pair" time wasters. No! you`re a carp shot and you`ve been stood behind the cage for the last twenty minutes. Pay attention!

I so know what you mean, and its the same the world over. The thing that's always puzzled me is how the organises don't realise they are losing money by being inefficient. Where I used to go a few years back I would have happily paid for a double round if I could have shot it but as it was I struggled to do one. Mind you this is London and the home counties, demand is high, clubs are few.

Its one of the reasons I drifted away from clay shooting a few years ago  

Edited by Vince Green