Aldi food that beats leading brands

Shearwater

I've been testing a few products on quality only not price ( wife does that bit ) and found these solid winners:

Norpak butter

Dark mint chocolate ( individual wrapped and thin for after dinner )

Carole premium baked beans

Harvest tinned copped tomatoes

Chicken and beef gravy granules

Every bottle of wine I've tried over £6 has been good quality

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aldi everytime and we have two shops each about the same distance.  Their chocolate range is excellent. I use their cheapest dark choc for making my own hazel nut chocs and also use the drained fruit from any soaking in vodka/gin etc. Try it, very good.   The steaks are excellent and only had one bad piece , took it back and imdeatley replaced with offer of refund no argument.  Their big bottles of prosecco at about £13 are perfect for 'elevensies'.   Wild Boar pate ...oh I could go on.      Also purchased a pair of their working trousers with the thermal lining ..excellent value and in green not black which is better.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Aldi everytime and we have two shops each about the same distance.  Their chocolate range is excellent. I use their cheapest dark choc for making my own hazel nut chocs and also use the drained fruit from any soaking in vodka/gin etc. Try it, very good.   The steaks are excellent and only had one bad piece , took it back and imdeatley replaced with offer of refund no argument.  Their big bottles of prosecco at about £13 are perfect for 'elevensies'.   Wild Boar pate ...oh I could go on.      Also purchased a pair of their working trousers with the thermal lining ..excellent value and in green not black which is better.

3 stores for you . 2 in Tamworth and both are stacked out. 
I normally shop there just to say hello to the wife.

we save a fortune shopping there but can’t fault the quality. 

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

3 stores for you . 2 in Tamworth and both are stacked out. 
I normally shop there just to say hello to the wife.

we save a fortune shopping there but can’t fault the quality. 

I know the one in Glascote wheres the other ?

1 hour ago, Fuddster said:

Aldi ribeye's are the go to when its a steak night for me.

f.

100%

Sorry Waitrose or Mark and Spencer. Not so much me but the wife, she wouldn't be seen dead in Lidl or Aldi's 

Bought a few middle isle items in the past, Parkside do a few good tools but thier bench grinder stops just showing it a bit of metal.

Apparently Aldi do some mighty fine Smokey Bacon crisps

Edited by fatchap

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

Sorry Waitrose or Mark and Spencer. Not so much me but the wife, she wouldn't be seen dead in Lidl or Aldi's 

Bought a few middle isle items in the past, Parkside do a few good tools but thier bench grinder stops just showing it a bit of metal.

Apparently Aldi do some mighty fine Smokey Bacon crisps

Aldi and m&s top lines are the same food . Check out the recalls , both the same products with a different label. 

i like both of them.......trouble is they are quite a way a way for me....so i use the local butcher

today im doing shin slow cooked casserole with leeks carrots mushrooms  oinion red wine ...and have made some wicked suet and herb gluten free dumplings to go in it 45mins before serving.am using fresh grated suet what i grated this morning...........

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, quite a few are just labelled to the retailer.  M&S certainly do some of the best take away sandwiches. 

Agree with that M&S best prawn sandwich is the dogs danglies, Their smoked salmon is also very good. The filling is throughout the sandwich, unlike Tesco Sainsbury where the entire filling is put in the middle so when its cut it looks like you have a packed sarnie then you discover there is nothing in there apart from a lump of what ever in the middle and just bread after that. 

57 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i like both of them.......trouble is they are quite a way a way for me....so i use the local butcher

today im doing shin slow cooked casserole with leeks carrots mushrooms  oinion red wine ...and have made some wicked suet and herb gluten free dumplings to go in it 45mins before serving.am using fresh grated suet what i grated this morning...........

OOOOOHH that sounds good enough to eat.  Been many many years since I ate shin of beef and cooked properly it is not to be sneezed at.  Enjoy Simon:good:

Smell ...almost taste it from here:good:

I have New Zealand Venison chips tonight...well thats what I call them.  Copy of the steaks from the loin of the tahr I shot up in the McCauley Basin, South Island and seared in a skillet over an open fire.  These will be muntie with a sprinkle of the inevitable Tony's.  Red cabbage and roasty potatoes followed by an apple crumble and cream, coffee and home made dark chocolate with the chopped up damazenes which I used to make damazene vodka.