Aldi food that beats leading brands

Shearwater

People like Aldi don't have cornflake factories, biscuit factories, baked bean factories etc of their own producing their own brands. A little bit of detective work is all that is needed usually to reveal that the packaging is identical to some other big name commercial brand that makes it for them.

I have this discussion over and over again with my stepdaughter who simply wont believe it. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

People like Aldi don't have cornflake factories, biscuit factories, baked bean factories etc of their own producing their own brands. A little bit of detective work is all that is needed usually to reveal that the packaging is identical to some other big name commercial brand that makes it for them.

I have this discussion over and over again with my stepdaughter who simply wont believe it. 

Same with designer clothing labels......

allegedly, obviously only a rumour and I have no first hand experience whatsoever, really, really 😉

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I would agree and get it BUT do the recipes change from say M&S to Aldi ( ie. more sugar/fat/water etc added or taken out) because the taste is sometimes different? Interesting if someone has an inside take on this compared with us guessing?

46 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

I would agree and get it BUT do the recipes change from say M&S to Aldi ( ie. more sugar/fat/water etc added or taken out) because the taste is sometimes different? Interesting if someone has an inside take on this compared with us guessing?

I used to visit a well known chocolate factory in Corby, amongst the products made there were ordinary (Tesco) chocolate and top end stuff for Gordon Ramsey and Fortnum and Mason.

Often the same ingredients in the same ratios, but the packaging was vastly more expensive for the top stuff.

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I used to visit a well known chocolate factory in Corby, amongst the products made there were ordinary (Tesco) chocolate and top end stuff for Gordon Ramsey and Fortnum and Mason.

Often the same ingredients in the same ratios, but the packaging was vastly more expensive for the top stuff.

Totally agree. When I was at uni' (many moons ago) I worked at a malt vinegar bottling plant for a few weeks. When an order was complete, the labels in the machine were changed, from some well known names to never heard ofs,  but the vinegar in the vats was still the same.

13 hours ago, Stonepark said:

My local Aldi has Hogwash at the moment!

Yes I've heard other stores have it as well but for some reason not mine...yet!

As others have said there are some strange food location issues! I too had a student job in a food factory, back in the late 90's Ambrosia Rice pudding and Tesco Rice pudding (if my memory is correct) were made in the same factory with the same ingredients just different labels.....also English Country Life butter was made in a milk factory in Rural Wales!

Cheers

Aled

3 minutes ago, Aled said:

Yes I've heard other stores have it as well but for some reason not mine...yet!

As others have said there are some strange food location issues! I too had a student job in a food factory, back in the late 90's Ambrosia Rice pudding and Tesco Rice pudding (if my memory is correct) were made in the same factory with the same ingredients just different labels.....also English Country Life butter was made in a milk factory in Rural Wales!

Cheers

Aled

You can order it online from the Aldi site with free postage over £30.

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Thanks for that, I kind of knew it happened but wasn't sure

Sun Quench Orange squash from Aldi - growing up my kids would not touch anything else - our local branch keeps running out so we do a 30 mile round trip to stock up - wife actually drinks 3 pints of it during the night? The beautifully buttery marg is also very good - tried it once and could swear it was butter - cheap as chips as well. 99% of Aldi cold meats make Tesco's meat taste like cardboard.

Edited by bruno22rf

Grande Alberone Zinfandel was really good a few years ago 2016 iirc, but still a good wine and I really like their Portuguese red from the Douro valley (can`t remember the name though) and the Sauv Blanc called Makaraka is nice with fish/chicken or on its own. They do some good pies too, the steak pie with black pud is nice as the BP disc is placed at the bottom of the pie and the juices from the meat keep it nice and juicy!

Just because something is made in the same factory as another produce doesn't mean it's the same recipe. Remember when Kwik Save beans were made in the same factory as Heinz beans? No way we're they the same product. The beans themselves were larger and harder in the Kwik Save brand, and the sauce had a completely different taste. 

Having said that, if the ingredients on the packet are in the same and in the same order there's a good chance it will be the same or similar. 

Aldi do incredible copies of biscuits. Fox's Viennese Fingers are a favourite of.my husband. They were £1.50 a packet. The Aldi version were half that. The only difference in the recipe was that the Aldi one used "butteroil" instead of butter. You could taste the minute difference if you got all food critic about it and directly compared the the two makes, but really no noticeable difference at all. 

Fox's have since brought their price down #marketforces.