Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shearwater

Aldi food that beats leading brands

Recommended Posts

People like Aldi don't have cornflake factories, biscuit factories, baked bean factories etc of their own producing their own brands. A little bit of detective work is all that is needed usually to reveal that the packaging is identical to some other big name commercial brand that makes it for them.

I have this discussion over and over again with my stepdaughter who simply wont believe it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

People like Aldi don't have cornflake factories, biscuit factories, baked bean factories etc of their own producing their own brands. A little bit of detective work is all that is needed usually to reveal that the packaging is identical to some other big name commercial brand that makes it for them.

I have this discussion over and over again with my stepdaughter who simply wont believe it. 

Same with designer clothing labels......

allegedly, obviously only a rumour and I have no first hand experience whatsoever, really, really 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

People like Aldi don't have cornflake factories, biscuit factories, baked bean factories etc of their own producing their own brands. A little bit of detective work is all that is needed usually to reveal that the packaging is identical to some other big name commercial brand that makes it for them.

I have this discussion over and over again with my stepdaughter who simply wont believe it. 

I would agree and get it BUT do the recipes change from say M&S to Aldi ( ie. more sugar/fat/water etc added or taken out) because the taste is sometimes different? Interesting if someone has an inside take on this compared with us guessing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

I would agree and get it BUT do the recipes change from say M&S to Aldi ( ie. more sugar/fat/water etc added or taken out) because the taste is sometimes different? Interesting if someone has an inside take on this compared with us guessing?

I used to visit a well known chocolate factory in Corby, amongst the products made there were ordinary (Tesco) chocolate and top end stuff for Gordon Ramsey and Fortnum and Mason.

Often the same ingredients in the same ratios, but the packaging was vastly more expensive for the top stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Aldi gin is very good, and I wish they would stock Hogwash whisky again, I loved it!

Cheers

Aled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Aled said:

Well Aldi gin is very good, and I wish they would stock Hogwash whisky again, I loved it!

Cheers

Aled

My local Aldi has Hogwash at the moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aled said:

Well Aldi gin is very good, and I wish they would stock Hogwash whisky again, I loved it!

Cheers

Aled

My wife is loving the sloe gin from Aldi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My wife is loving the sloe gin from Aldi 

You mean you don't buy that nice young lady Champagne ????

I'm speechless.

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I used to visit a well known chocolate factory in Corby, amongst the products made there were ordinary (Tesco) chocolate and top end stuff for Gordon Ramsey and Fortnum and Mason.

Often the same ingredients in the same ratios, but the packaging was vastly more expensive for the top stuff.

Totally agree. When I was at uni' (many moons ago) I worked at a malt vinegar bottling plant for a few weeks. When an order was complete, the labels in the machine were changed, from some well known names to never heard ofs,  but the vinegar in the vats was still the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You mean you don't buy that nice young lady Champagne ????

I'm speechless.

We were given a bottle recently for our wedding. We tasted it and tipped it away . She’s more of a cider girl 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, team tractor said:

We were given a bottle recently for our wedding. We tasted it and tipped it away . She’s more of a cider girl 😀

AAARRRGGGHHH .......   a key to the combine harvester then:rolleyes:....... I see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 16:45, ditchman said:

i luuuuuve dunplings with fresh erbs an fresh grated suet....................these were seriously light an fluffy......

 

just for you walker (nev).....shin was perfect and sweet...

 

 

shin 002tn_.JPG

shin 003tn_.JPG

shin 004tn_.JPG

That does look ‘bootiful’ Simon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made a bit of a hash serving it...........i was starving ....and just slopped it in the bowl.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumplings wanted a bit longer with the lid off, taste better, have a better texture and look better with a bit more colour!:P

 

 

Also available as a restaurant critic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Stonepark said:

My local Aldi has Hogwash at the moment!

Yes I've heard other stores have it as well but for some reason not mine...yet!

As others have said there are some strange food location issues! I too had a student job in a food factory, back in the late 90's Ambrosia Rice pudding and Tesco Rice pudding (if my memory is correct) were made in the same factory with the same ingredients just different labels.....also English Country Life butter was made in a milk factory in Rural Wales!

Cheers

Aled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aled said:

Yes I've heard other stores have it as well but for some reason not mine...yet!

As others have said there are some strange food location issues! I too had a student job in a food factory, back in the late 90's Ambrosia Rice pudding and Tesco Rice pudding (if my memory is correct) were made in the same factory with the same ingredients just different labels.....also English Country Life butter was made in a milk factory in Rural Wales!

Cheers

Aled

You can order it online from the Aldi site with free postage over £30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I used to visit a well known chocolate factory in Corby, amongst the products made there were ordinary (Tesco) chocolate and top end stuff for Gordon Ramsey and Fortnum and Mason.

Often the same ingredients in the same ratios, but the packaging was vastly more expensive for the top stuff.

Thanks for that, I kind of knew it happened but wasn't sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun Quench Orange squash from Aldi - growing up my kids would not touch anything else - our local branch keeps running out so we do a 30 mile round trip to stock up - wife actually drinks 3 pints of it during the night? The beautifully buttery marg is also very good - tried it once and could swear it was butter - cheap as chips as well. 99% of Aldi cold meats make Tesco's meat taste like cardboard.

Edited by bruno22rf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the Aldi products are made by subcontract manufacturers that produce for the 'blue chip' big boys as well....this is definitely the case...I know because we do it ...😉😉...atb...misser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grande Alberone Zinfandel was really good a few years ago 2016 iirc, but still a good wine and I really like their Portuguese red from the Douro valley (can`t remember the name though) and the Sauv Blanc called Makaraka is nice with fish/chicken or on its own. They do some good pies too, the steak pie with black pud is nice as the BP disc is placed at the bottom of the pie and the juices from the meat keep it nice and juicy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their New Zealand Pino Gris is lovely too, and for those of you who are or know someone with gluten issues this a good choice of white wine, according to my wife.

Cheers

Aled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M&S and Aldi food might come out of the same factory but m&s have there own recipe , just like JSB make pellets for AA , falcons , daystate but they all have there own dies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because something is made in the same factory as another produce doesn't mean it's the same recipe. Remember when Kwik Save beans were made in the same factory as Heinz beans? No way we're they the same product. The beans themselves were larger and harder in the Kwik Save brand, and the sauce had a completely different taste. 

Having said that, if the ingredients on the packet are in the same and in the same order there's a good chance it will be the same or similar. 

Aldi do incredible copies of biscuits. Fox's Viennese Fingers are a favourite of.my husband. They were £1.50 a packet. The Aldi version were half that. The only difference in the recipe was that the Aldi one used "butteroil" instead of butter. You could taste the minute difference if you got all food critic about it and directly compared the the two makes, but really no noticeable difference at all. 

Fox's have since brought their price down #marketforces. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...