Legal question.

fatchap

I have been asked to make a knife as a congratulation gift for someones son who has made it into the Paras, he wants me to obviously have his sons name on the knife plus the Paras symbol, its this that I'm asking about. He says putting their symbol on the handle would not be a problem, its not a problem technically but the legal side is. I'm not sure without permission you are allowed to copy that symbol, after all I believe it belongs to the Queen. I'm pretty sure his superiors would have something to say about if they saw it.

Anyone on here have any info or is there no problem at all with doing it?

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Send them an email explaining what you have been asked to do and see what they say. All the relevant email addresses are in the document Jtaylor put up.

Thats an idea! I'll drop them an email see what they say, least then I've covered my ****!

The Parachute Regiment logo is used and reproduced regularly on all sorts of nice and nasty things with no repercussions. 

As Ex Para, I'm used to seeing all sorts of reproductions. Shed loads on ebay.

These are just a few I use personally. 

If you're really worried I can give you the Regimental Colonels email, but I can assure you if you ask, he will say NO, not because of the logo, but because the Regiment is against the carrying and use of knives. There is no such thing as a fighting knife, Rambo knife etc. Knives are tools and carried hidden in bergans not carried on the person.

20191107_195904.jpg

Screenshot_20191025-074106_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20191025-074045_Photos.jpg

20191031_192628.jpg

Screenshot_20191025-074033_Photos.jpg

20191107_195936.jpg

20191031_192547.jpg

lifted straight from the publication list above.

Part 4 – Use of MOD Insignia, Logos, and Badges Section 1 – General use Insignia is a general term used to describe an object or mark that shows that a person belongs to a particular organization or group. This term will include arms, crests, badges and banners, other such heraldic identifiers; or logos. More information about insignia is provided in Annex B. The majority of MOD insignia are not only protected by Crown copyright, but are also protected by way of trade mark and/or design registration. This includes all current and many former service and unit badges, and variants thereof. MOD takes its intellectual property, and in particular, use of its insignia very seriously. Legal action can be taken against you if you use any of them without the correct permission. DIPR, and no other part of MOD is responsible for the licensing of its insignia.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 21:05, peck said:

lifted straight from the publication list above.

Part 4 – Use of MOD Insignia, Logos, and Badges Section 1 – General use Insignia is a general term used to describe an object or mark that shows that a person belongs to a particular organization or group. This term will include arms, crests, badges and banners, other such heraldic identifiers; or logos. More information about insignia is provided in Annex B. The majority of MOD insignia are not only protected by Crown copyright, but are also protected by way of trade mark and/or design registration. This includes all current and many former service and unit badges, and variants thereof. MOD takes its intellectual property, and in particular, use of its insignia very seriously. Legal action can be taken against you if you use any of them without the correct permission. DIPR, and no other part of MOD is responsible for the licensing of its insignia.

Christ, good luck taking 1000+ Serving and Ex Paras to court over parachute regiment tattoos. I suspect the lawyer perusing them would end up getting turned inside out like a sock!

Its a knife, crack on. 

18 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

Christ, good luck taking 1000+ Serving and Ex Paras to court over parachute regiment tattoos. I suspect the lawyer perusing them would end up getting turned inside out like a sock!

Its a knife, crack on. 

Yeah tattoos sprang to mind for me as well.

One off gift going to a serving Para, with very little profit. Go for it.