rememberance sunday

welsh1

Generally I parade in my village. Always a good turn out including vintage military vehicles. My daughter used to come with me, wearing her great grandmother's Red Cross medal. Usually see a few neighbours. Stand there in the cool Autumn air remembering those who gave their lives.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Cenotaph Sheffield City Centre, or if I'm not up to it,  the small cenotaph in the village close to where I live.

20191107_195904.jpg

The Royal British Legion is the one and only charity I support and as said above EVERY DAY IS REMEMBRANCE DAY for me.  I am sad to say I have met a few younger people who have no memory,thought or feelings to what was sacrificed both in the first and second World Wars and in conflicts since that time.  They seem more interested in the garbage being pushed out every day on TV.  Makes me very angry sometimes.  Like my grandfather would do when working the fields back in 1944 - 45. He would stand silently for a few moments and pause what he was doing as an aircraft of some sort would pass over. I was only 4-5yrs old at the time and remember wondering what he was thinking, but today I know and still stand and pause today when one of our fighting aircraft pass over our home and wish them well.

Edited by Walker570

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The Royal British Legion is the one and only charity I support and as said above EVERY DAY IS REMEMBRANCE DAY for me.  I am sad to say I have met a few younger people who have no memory,thought or feelings to what was sacrificed both in the first and second World Wars and in conflicts since that time.  They seem more interested in the garbage being pushed out every day on TV.  Makes me very angry sometimes.  Like my grandfather would do when working the fields back in 1944 - 45. He would stand silently for a few moments and pause what he was doing as an aircraft of some sort would pass over. I was only 4-5yrs old at the time and remember wondering what he was thinking, but today I know and still stand and pause today when one of our fighting aircraft pass over our home and wish them well.

There will always be some that are ignorant of the sacrifices made for them to remain ignorant and able to do what they want, but on the whole i see more and more youngsters at my local parades as each year passes, i think on the whole the younger generation have a respect for what was done in their name.

2 hours ago, Zapp said:

I don't parade anywhere.  My beret and medal havent been out of the drawer in years.  I stop and remember those I knew and lost and all the rest quietly, and on my own. 

I fully respect that Zapp, i don't wear a poppy until sunday, for the simple fact that i remember all year round that's not to say that both me and the wife both put a large note each in a poppy tin  , but i do find it cathartic to go and parade, it's more of a ritual, stand and chat to a few others who i only see on remembrance sunday, then 1 pint in a certain pub, and then a couple of others in a few other pubs, all for their own reasons and meanings, the wife knows i will be back about 5 pm as always.I can't explain it but it puts closure to all the thoughts that accumulate on the run up to the sunday.

I suppose we all have our way of dealing with things, mine have become patterns throughout the year, my wife knows and recognizes them , and i have little things in place to get through them.

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

Tamworth town centre for me. I’ve been taking the kids since they were born. In the 14 years I’ve gone I’ve noticed it’s gone from 30-50 people to hundreds outside the church.  

The same in Leyland thankfully,  each year I've been there, there seems to be more and more people, especially youngsters.  That makes me happy knowing that they will ask why.

24 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

suppose we all have our way of dealing with things, mine have become patterns throughout the year, my wife knows and recognizes them , and i have little things in place to get through them.

It must be far harder for those of you that have served and lost friends,  hope the day goes well for you. 

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

I fully respect that Zapp, i don't wear a poppy until sunday, for the simple fact that i remember all year round that's not to say that both me and the wife both put a large note each in a poppy tin  , but i do find it cathartic to go and parade, it's more of a ritual, stand and chat to a few others who i only see on remembrance sunday, then 1 pint in a certain pub, and then a couple of others in a few other pubs, all for their own reasons and meanings, the wife knows i will be back about 5 pm as always.I can't explain it but it puts closure to all the thoughts that accumulate on the run up to the sunday.

I suppose we all have our way of dealing with things, mine have become patterns throughout the year, my wife knows and recognizes them , and i have little things in place to get through them.

Respect to your plans too, sounds like a good and dignified way to do justice to the day.

None of us who walked that particular walk need justify anything to anyone.   

It's great to see the guys and girls proudly doing their stuff on the day and even nicer to see the huge affection from the wider public.

6 hours ago, Zapp said:

I don't parade anywhere.  My beret and medal havent been out of the drawer in years.  I stop and remember those I knew and lost and all the rest quietly, and on my own. 

I'm the same Zapp, and I only wear a Poppy on Sunday and the 11th but I support RBL all year round.

Like others, every day is remembrance day.

I know there's so many who have given so much in many different ways but I would also ask for my comrades to be included. In order for there to be a nuclear deterrent then someone has to develop it and maintain it, whether it belongs to our nation or anothers.

Many servicemen and civilians have died of cancer, leukemia and other radiation linked illnesses or still live with the effects because of their involvement with nuclear weapons.

For those affected by our own then I consider that they were subject to 'friendly-fire'.

Please give a thought to those who have given and are still giving to our security in this way.

Thanks.

My father served in Europe 1944 - 46. He always left the room or hid behind his newspaper when anything about Remembrance Day came up. He never really talked about it, but I think his view was that he’d spent enough time thinking about it and would rather forget.

I have every respect for the feelings of those involved in war and always observe the 2 minutes silence somewhere quiet.

Just returned from the war memorial in my village of Westbury on Trym. The turn out each year seems to rise with more and more youngsters, Air cadets, Scouts etc.

My other half dos`nt  come with me, she knows I have to be on my own.

Glass raised for All the boys and girls who have kept us safe, some times at huge costs to themselves and their families.

We will remember them.