Russian sport cheats

washerboy

21 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I'm not at all anti steroids.. That would be the kettle calling the pot but to see a whole nation being forced to take part in the use of drugs to be able to compete is astounding 

Just look at any competitive sports ... if the people who are getting big pro contracts or making it as pro athlete's are using steroids or PED's then anyone who wants to achieve to that level will also NEED to take them. 

The benefits to recovery, enhancement, speed, power, all play into it. There are lots of athlete's using during off-season as some of those benefits will stick around once stopped for a while.

Just look at the number of athletes' that claim to have asthma, or some other "normal" medical condition, so they then have an excuse when a certain medication shows up in their tests. 

Ephedrine was a prime example in cold and flu medications... "I had a cold and the team Dr prescribed me them for that... I never knew it would give me an advantage" was the line to give. 

Whilst we can say people are "forced" to take them... they aren't really forced, they could walk away from the sport, or they could compete without them, and lose. I think it was a massive sham when Lance Armstrong was caught doping and everyone pretended to know nothing about it and hung him out to dry. As if he had a massive advantage but the bloke hot on his heels was what some sort of superhuman? 

That documentary was one of the best I've seen.  Amazing how it started out, with wanting to see whether he could cheat at an amateur event, and uncovering what he did.

I think with all sports it must go on in one way or another, and when they are taking supplements anyway, I guess it's easy to stray into the illegal side.

This guy is quite interesting in what he does to 'legally dope':

I think he says in another of his video's that he's got his FTP to 5 watts/kg, which is very impressive, and just goes to show what can be done.

I still have to question why they cheat, but I guess when there are vast sums of money/livelihoods at stake, that might be a good enough reason for some.

Hayden