Get the gat

strimmer_13

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ill redo the seals, unless i can find anybody local to do it and get back to you because i rarely keep guns long. I bought it on a whim as i always fancied a .20. 

Thank you, much appreciated. 

I checked out that catalogue and it looked a good auction, wouldn't have minded being able to go to it. 

Sift through the **** is all. I wanted the goldstar as it was a awful beaten up lump, maybe the worst condition bsa ive seen in recent years, i was out bid to 60. It went for 70. Also a ultra se, rusty but holding air which most gauges dont do in auctions, i left at 170 it went for 180. 

If youve looked, youll see what i paid, its labelled as a crossman. Im not kidding, they are ******* useless at labeling guns, always get it wrong. My fx cyclone was a essex in the catalog. Got that for 260 last year. 

9 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Sift through the **** is all. I wanted the goldstar as it was a awful beaten up lump, maybe the worst condition bsa ive seen in recent years, i was out bid to 60. It went for 70. Also a ultra se, rusty but holding air which most gauges dont do in auctions, i left at 170 it went for 180. 

If youve looked, youll see what i paid, its labelled as a crossman. Im not kidding, they are ******* useless at labeling guns, always get it wrong. My fx cyclone was a essex in the catalog. Got that for 260 last year. 

I guessed that was the one buy only cause it was listed as .20

There seemed to be a lot of cartridges listed, were any actually worth having? 

51 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I guessed that was the one buy only cause it was listed as .20

There seemed to be a lot of cartridges listed, were any actually worth having? 

No not really. I didnt stay for them tbh, i usually do, but they often go close to retail. In all fairness this one there was only 3 dealers i saw, and idiots wernt over bidding. Some people got a bargain. 

My mate got a fully functioning 1959 browning a5 for £100.

IMG-20191110-WA0016.jpg

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

I remember a mate having  a Gat gun taking it up on the downs and seeing the pellet veering off course in the wind

I can watch the pellet in my garage go the 5 yards 😂

15 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

No not really. I didnt stay for them tbh, i usually do, but they often go close to retail. In all fairness this one there was only 3 dealers i saw, and idiots wernt over bidding. Some people got a bargain. 

My mate got a fully functioning 1959 browning a5 for £100.

IMG-20191110-WA0016.jpg

I can watch the pellet in my garage go the 5 yards 😂

I'm only really after the older collectable stuff anyway. 

Now that's a bargain! 

Loving the Valmet and the photos brought back fond memories of my Sheridan Blue Streak. What a great rifle & a great calibre.

Can I tell my Gat gun story?

I was in my second year at senior school when my friend told me he'd bought an air pistol. I had a Relum Rapide but I had never heard of a Gat.

He brought it round to plink with.

We stacked up some tin cans on my back garden "range" and were plugging away with it at about 7 yards to little effect. The stack was about nine tins, with the topmost tin being a little evaporated milk tin.

My Dad came out to see what we were up to.

He said he had owned a Gat gun as a lad & asked if he could have a go.

He loaded the pistol with a Bulldog pellet, threw it up in one hand...

One shot, and that little evap tin went flying off the top of the stack, leaving the rest of the tins standing firm. He passed the pistol back to us and went back inside as we both tried to pick our jaws up off the floor.

16 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

That is a weird looking pellet gun.  Are they co2 or manually operated? 

You push the barrel in about 3'' then when thats done you can access the barrel from the rear of the gun, where a hammer would be normally.

The barrel is smooth bore, and you unscrew a bolt to push a pellet directly in. 

The 'get the gat' thing, to me at least, is a revival of times where i wasnt so fortunate to be able to buy a hw, or a bsa, or if i was really drooling, a original 50,  i couldnt afford darts for it most months. Its called being poor, and a **** load of airgunners started this way. Cheap no frills slug chuckers. Hopelessly inaccurate. Same as smks, you know its not the best, you probably even know that at the time, but 9/10 it got you hooked, then gave you the inclination to strive to a better level of shooting. And quality.

Am i going to deny its junk? No. Am i saying they are dangerous, no again. The person behind it could be. But that could be said about absolutely anything.