Jump to content

Extreme pheasant shooting


B725
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was talking to someone yesterday who had been shooting driven pheasant at up to 80 yards high, just under 2000 shots for 350 birds they were using 35g 4s as they wasn't allowed anything less. I'm just wondering what others think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, B725 said:

I was talking to someone yesterday who had been shooting driven pheasant at up to 80 yards high, just under 2000 shots for 350 birds they were using 35g 4s as they wasn't allowed anything less. I'm just wondering what others think. 

The team that were shooting must have been very good shots to get 350 birds , my only concern would be if they were that good at shooting birds at that range , how many more were hit that didn't come down with the other 1650 shots ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Field sports did a page on high bird shooting..April 2017. A picture of a pheasant at approximately 43 yards high.They picked 100 shooters asked them how high the bird was.35%said 61 to 7o yd’s  .25% said 70 to 80 yds.20% said over 90 yards.So the guns who talk about shooting 90yd birds😁.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have taken a few non believers with me this season and last as loaders, they were shocked at the height that pheasants and partridges were being killed cleanly.

They were also impressed how far the pickers up were behind the line sweeping back towards the gun line in some cases over 500m behind to ensure pricked and bleed out birds were recovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The team that were shooting must have been very good shots to get 350 birds , my only concern would be if they were that good at shooting birds at that range , how many more were hit that didn't come down with the other 1650 shots ?

That's what I thought as he was telling me, but I didn't want to start an argument 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I pick up on an estate that presents partridge and pheasant at these ranges and that is pretty much the cartridge used in most of the ou’s. Some teams, like the one I picked up behind on Saturday, killed pretty consistently. Other teams who think they can kill high birds really do struggle. Height is relative to the competence of the gun and the estate. In my experience some teams that ask for high birds clearly do not realise quite what they will get on this estate. Fortunately there are enough drives to offer a range to suit all abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes I pick up on an estate that presents partridge and pheasant at these ranges and that is pretty much the cartridge used in most of the ou’s. Some teams, like the one I picked up behind on Saturday, killed pretty consistently. Other teams who think they can kill high birds really do struggle. Height is relative to the competence of the gun and the estate. In my experience some teams that ask for high birds clearly do not realise quite what they will get on this estate. Fortunately there are enough drives to offer a range to suit all abilities.

Think I have met you then Dave if you are part of Rab's team, and back in a weeks time. You will know most of the team that I shoot with also!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Think I have met you then Dave if you are part of Rab's team, and back in a weeks time. You will know most of the team that I shoot with also!

Yes we have met then. I work the yellow labs. Not sure what days I will be picking up when you are booked in but would be pleased to say “Hello” if I am about. Have a great time nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes we have met then. I work the yellow labs. Not sure what days I will be picking up when you are booked in but would be pleased to say “Hello” if I am about. Have a great time nonetheless.

Yes I know who you are and you were there last year when your team picked up 34 of our partridge on Clugh 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many shooters will recognise this quote:

The maximum range of a gun in relation to a given kind of game is the greatest range at which it is reasonably certain that a clean kill will be made by a truly aimed shot.

As we're talking pheasant here, we'll give the shooters in question the benefit of the doubt and assume cocks only (larger vulnerable area). In view of the above quote, we're going to need c1.5 ftlbs of energy for penetration and 93 pellets in the 30" for a  sufficient strike rate within the central effective area. It might be worth pausing at this point. 35g is a somewhat unusual load weight. 36 would up the ante on pellet count a tad. An advantage. However, many of the "extreme" load shot sizes are over size and 3 & 1/2 for 4s is more usual. Another advantage here for energy but also a loss of strike rate.

But, we'll stay with what we've been given. No 4 loses it (1.5) at 68 yards and at 80 is down to 1.1. Not looking good. Full choke will give the required pellet density out to c52 yards. Up against it now and super duper full plus+ is not going to stretch another 30 yards.

One thing that I've always appreciated is skill no matter what form it takes and would be delighted to watch the shooters cleanly killing pheasant at the specified height. All I would ask is that if someone could explain how these sportsmen are able to do it in view of the figures just given while remaining within the sporting definition given above ( - by Gough Thomas for those who didn't know or weren't quite sure ).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

5 sec from shot to impact on deck at 30ft drop a second is 50 yards.

Really you have measured the speed a pheasant falls from the sky at 30-80yds? With wings open, closed, head first, tail first, in low pressure, high pressure?

Meaning from a video you can accurately tell the height? 😂😂🙈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many shooters will recognise this quote:

The maximum range of a gun in relation to a given kind of game is the greatest range at which it is reasonably certain that a clean kill will be made by a truly aimed shot.

As we're talking pheasant here, we'll give the shooters in question the benefit of the doubt and assume cocks only (larger vulnerable area). In view of the above quote, we're going to need c1.5 ftlbs of energy for penetration and 93 pellets in the 30" for a  sufficient strike rate within the central effective area. It might be worth pausing at this point. 35g is a somewhat unusual load weight. 36 would up the ante on pellet count a tad. An advantage. However, many of the "extreme" load shot sizes are over size and 3 & 1/2 for 4s is more usual. Another advantage here for energy but also a loss of strike rate.

But, we'll stay with what we've been given. No 4 loses it (1.5) at 68 yards and at 80 is down to 1.1. Not looking good. Full choke will give the required pellet density out to c52 yards. Up against it now and super duper full plus+ is not going to stretch another 30 yards.

One thing that I've always appreciated is skill no matter what form it takes and would be delighted to watch the shooters cleanly killing pheasant at the specified height. All I would ask is that if someone could explain how these sportsmen are able to do it in view of the figures just given while remaining within the sporting definition given above ( - by Gough Thomas for those who didn't know or weren't quite sure ).

Wymberly, if you can, speak to Robert Everett at Hull about his most recent developments and his 70yd patterning/impacting of his HPE. Choke and pattern have come together resulting the best pattern and impact using 34/4 fibre in 18.4 barrels is 5/8ths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stonepark said:

5 sec from shot to impact on deck at 30ft drop a second is 50 yards.

It actually looks more like a 45 yarder, great kill no doubt but an “extreme” shot no way.

The lovely thing about this Ground hog Day subject is that the exponents are steadfast in their refusal to believe the science of it all, i.e, the sparsity of the pattern and of course the puny energy levels of individual pellets at those kinds of ranges.

Place a 5’ wide cardboard at 80 yards and see how many pellets make it inside the magic 30” - then offer up a pheasant silhouette around that 30” circle and see how likely it is that in a given position it would have received multiple strikes to vulnerable areas of the body, not many you’ll find hence “kills” at REAL 80-100 yard ranges are nothing but lucky strikes. Someone shoot at a fresh but dead pheasant and see how far these no.4 shots make it into the body, I’ve always believed a great number of tumbling lightly injured birds are actually killed (or dazed long enough for a retrieve) by the fall itself.

The unlovely (read tragic, immoral, detestable, abhorrent) thing is that these “countrymen” will in time be responsible for our sports collective demise. I pity souls who need to test their luck so desperately that they’re prepared to accept the inevitable price of hundreds if not thousands of pricked and injured birds - and NO I don’t believe you get the same proportion of peppered birds with more ordinary ranges such as 30 yards, for a start you’re more likely to kill it with a follow up than the random luck needed on a 85 yarder.

I’m no doubter just a sciencer.

Edited by Hamster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...