Extreme pheasant shooting

B725

3 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I think gd sums it up nicely in this article 

https://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/shoot-pheasants-like-george-digweed-37727

Particularly this bit 

I have seen a lot of high birds shot (and shot at) and, in my opinion, with the modern guns and cartridges available, a true 60-yard pheasant is consistently killable up to that height if you possess the necessary skill. Any higher and you are relying on luck and we need to question seriously whether luck should play any part when it comes to the humane dispatch of a living quarry. 

Yep that sums it up nicely, would have been nice to have seen these supper heroes pattern pictures at 80 yards though.  i have shot patterns at 80 yards with a variety of shot types various guns and gun choke combination. An effective killing pattern for a pheasant at 80 yard is a tough call for anybody.

60yard a bit more with a ten but 12 game gun 35 gram of lead any size. .. I want to see what they got.  **** i guess but hey i am ever open to surprises but i dont think they do surprises these boys its pure fiction.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not ethical and is detrimental to the sport.

1 video of wounded "extreme" birds from packham and you can bet your shoot breakfast that it will go viral and there will be calls and petitions to ban it. Probably within hours.

This is election time in an anti field sports country. What do you think will happen? Boris won't bat an eyelid to win another 500000 votes at the drop of a hat and neither will any of the rest. 

And there you have it,

The recent **** storm that Packham kick off not so long ago (GL), couple that with the dumping of birds, then add this to it & he's on another ego trip.

You would think these cartridge manufactures would be tripping over themselves to get these super duper cartridges out to shooters.

I'm also intrigued to see them patterned at 80yds.

12 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

You would think these cartridge manufactures would be tripping over themselves to get these super duper cartridges out to shooters.

I'm also intrigued to see them patterned at 80yds.

AH1 These is magic cartridges, they don’t need patterning, Patterns would not be any use . look on page 9 or ten its there in black and white.

Just shoot them work out where the shot string goes put the shot string on the bird bird flies into it gets mashed to death jobs a good un. No patterns needed See pure magic. Its there read it for yourself .  Not got a ****** clue how i keep knocking these geese down like i do must be me just liking hard work for no reason.

Lancer425 agree with your comments. A few true facts . Having been Wildfowling best part of 50yrs Deer Stalking 40+ yrs I've a fair idea what ranges look like. Having listen to a bloke in a gun shop speaking as a few on here killing stupid high driven birds with his 36" Barrel guerrinni double choked useing specific made cartridges i went off bought a helium partridge sized balloon anchored it 58 yards high on string took a stuffed cock pheasant from gun shop stood that at 62 yards walked into shop got the owner and driven hot shot " right Sir so you constantly kill partridge and pheasant at these ranges " looking at the hovering balloon and perched pheasant ( polite version ) your off your head that balloon is 100+ yards and the pheasant ain't far off. His face was true picture when lowered the balloon was proved to be 58 yards the pheasant was 62 yards even better when i replied " i walk in plenty when in cattle filled fields as what comes from your mouth " 

I spoke to a team yesterday, a friend brought a laser range finder, he managed to ping a pheasant at 90 metres. (99 yards) seconds later it was it killed stone dead.

I accept this was probably a lucky pellet as did the whole team but he judged it, lead it and it folded. To this gun in front of the full team was the bird of his life.

What's interesting is the difference between what's accepted and people strive for the high bird shoots in UK. 

Watched a video of a driven day with Charlie Jacoby where a German was part of the team and when asked about shooting said I'd be getting told off for not shooting a bird in 25 yards. Done differently over there.

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Lancer425 agree with your comments. A few true facts . Having been Wildfowling best part of 50yrs Deer Stalking 40+ yrs I've a fair idea what ranges look like. Having listen to a bloke in a gun shop speaking as a few on here killing stupid high driven birds with his 36" Barrel guerrinni double choked useing specific made cartridges i went off bought a helium partridge sized balloon anchored it 58 yards high on string took a stuffed cock pheasant from gun shop stood that at 62 yards walked into shop got the owner and driven hot shot " right Sir so you constantly kill partridge and pheasant at these ranges " looking at the hovering balloon and perched pheasant ( polite version ) your off your head that balloon is 100+ yards and the pheasant ain't far off. His face was true picture when lowered the balloon was proved to be 58 yards the pheasant was 62 yards even better when i replied " i walk in plenty when in cattle filled fields as what comes from your mouth " 

😀 I wrote a big reply, but i was told by lads in PMs i was wasting my time, i wanted to try and get somewhere with these people for the sake of the young and easily influenced out there.

Asking for patterns !  Waste of time they dont know they cant see  .... Unbelievable.

35 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

I spoke to a team yesterday, a friend brought a laser range finder, he managed to ping a pheasant at 90 metres. (99 yards) seconds later it was it killed stone dead.

I accept this was probably a lucky pellet as did the whole team but he judged it, lead it and it folded. To this gun in front of the full team was the bird of his life.

That is so sad.   ...Probably a lucky pellet.... Bird of his life...  Give up will ya!

You should all  be  knowing exactly what your doing before ever attempting anything like that , never mind fluking a bird  out with a stray pellet.

48 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

And there is the whole argument in a nutshell!

4 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Who on earth takes a laser range finder to a formal shoot. Haven't they got better things to be doing than trying to range small birds? 

I imagine it was harder pinging the bird than shooting it.

I do 

find it useful to see exactly how far in front hedges trees markers are 

it sharpers up your estimated distance accuracy 

wouldn’t want to be shooting at stuff to far away for my capabilities 

11 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

This is exactly what I mentioned within the first 10 posts on this subject. 

Put just sky around a object and it is a lot harder to judge  than distance along floor or tree.

9 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I assume when he put his gun to the bird, he believed it was a pricked bird?

In my opinion it is NOT good sporting practice to put up your gun at a bird at that range which may get killed by (or wounded by) "a lucky pellet".

No one should shoot at live quarry on the basis a "lucky pellet" might make a clean kill.  The exception would be a bird that has clearly already been wounded.

This thread is remarkable.

On the one hand Perazzishot and his acolyte Button and surprising support from other quarters are promulgating the idea that 80 yard pheasants can be consistently killed with a 12 gauge shotgun, and on the other hand sensible and practical information given by those who have regularly pattern tested loads for different gauges of shotguns and who have great experience in the field whether it be shotgun or rifle shooting including George Digweed.

My take on it is simply that some of the ‘long distance’ shooters cannot judge range.

11 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

What model range finder was it ? I’m genuinely not aware of hand held ones that can realistically ping flying pheasants, come to think of it pinging the pheasant is infinitely more skilful than shooting it down “stone dead” with a stray pellet. 

Remember, to fold a pheasant down stone dead at that range it would have to have received the single pellet strike (with 1 ft lb of kinetic energy) in the neck or the brain - I don’t believe even no. 4 would have the energy left to penetrate the skull.

15 minutes ago, JDog said:

This thread is remarkable.

On the one hand Perazzishot and his acolyte Button and surprising support from other quarters are promulgating the idea that 80 yard pheasants can be consistently killed with a 12 gauge shotgun, and on the other hand sensible and practical information given by those who have regularly pattern tested loads for different gauges of shotguns and who have great experience in the field whether it be shotgun or rifle shooting including George Digweed.

My take on it is simply that some of the ‘long distance’ shooters cannot judge range.

Your right it is remarkable

GD is on a video saying the pigeon he shot was 85 yards and we see it!

Surprising support? I presume you are referring to Charlie T and Dave at Kelton, people that have seen and are involved with extreme shooting and know what experienced high bird shots are capable of, yet their comments are just rubbished 

If all this was not so sad for the poor birds it would be funny.

I got my gammel.  and sat at a desk so  gentlemen 70 yards any advance on 70 in the corner 80 yards  i have 80 with you sir 85 with mr diggweed do i have 90 on the phone i have the 90 any more one last time 99 yards perazishots mate thank you sir any more!

This could end up ;like the trotters Harrison lesser watch at this rate by 4pm today. 

27 minutes ago, button said:

Your right it is remarkable

GD is on a video saying the pigeon he shot was 85 yards and we see it!

Surprising support? I presume you are referring to Charlie T and Dave at Kelton, people that have seen and are involved with extreme shooting and know what experienced high bird shots are capable of, yet their comments are just rubbished 

How many more times? Someone saying something on a video, doesn't make it so!

Out of interest, have you ever patterned any cartridges at 80 yards and above?

9 minutes ago, motty said:

How many more times? Someone saying something on a video, doesn't make it so!

Out of interest, have you ever patterned any cartridges at 80 yards and above?

Ok, someone saying something doesn't make it so, I accept, you saying it's not possible does not make it impossible

Lets just leave it there 

37 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

If all this was not so sad for the poor birds it would be funny.

I got my gammel.  and sat at a desk so  gentlemen 70 yards any advance on 70 in the corner 80 yards  i have 80 with you sir 85 with mr diggweed do i have 90 on the phone i have the 90 any more one last time 99 yards perazishots mate thank you sir any more!

This could end up ;like the trotters Harrison lesser watch at this rate by 4pm today. 

It's like other threads where someone head shoots rabbits at xxx yds, with. 22lr, way beyond the the accuracy of the gun. 

It doesn't matter if you're an Olympic grade shot, if the equipment isn't capable of CONSISTENTLY hitting and cleanly killing at these 'extreme' ranges, why on earth are they taking the shot? 

When you start hearing about 'lucky' shots, then they mention consistency in the same argument, I truly wonder what's going through their heads. 

And what's this about lazing a flying bird? Totally impossible 😂

Edited by Rewulf

12 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

This one is great...

I find hard to belive someone is able to consistently kill pheasants at 80 yrds (even IF GD pigeon was at 85 yrds, he's probably THE BEST gun in the world) but it is nothing compared to be able to ping a bird at 99 (!) yrds with a range finder. 

I'm from overseas and driven game is not my thing. I prefer 1 hard-earned  chance for a goose on the foreshore (35-40 yrds, not more) and send my dog for a retrive than 150 brace driven grouse day.

That said I have the biggest respect for a 100s year old tradition but I think the birds deserve RESPECT. Isn't that the reason why you dress smart and follow an etiquette on driven days? Shooting 80-90 yards high birds hoping in 1 lucky pellet is the opposite of respect.

When I want to test my skills, impress my friends and boost my ego, I go to the the clay ground. Real distances and no wounded birds.

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Surely live quarry shooting is about efficiency and consistency? Cleanly killing what you shoot at and minimising wounding.....shooting quarry at excessive ranges is cruel and unsporting, because you cannot maximise these positives.

Precisely; if you wish to push the limits of what a gun can do - please do so on clays.  Pushing ranges out to the point where results are declining (whether due to the gun, cartridge or operator limitations) should not be done on live quarry.