Extreme pheasant shooting

B725

11 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

it in mind clays are inanimate objects not flesh and blood. And as such deserve appropriate due consideration dedication and respect.

Responsible shooters address all the above points and act accordingly.

100% agree. 

I shoot sporting clays - for fun, not as a serious competition (although loser buys the coffee does apply sometimes).  I am happy to use my gun at a clay any range - even what I regard as stupidly long ranges - where I get the occasional hit.  Clays don't get wounded, so I have no 'conscience' doing this.  I use a 3/4 oz clays fibre wad type load (Hull Comp X) from a game orientated (usually s/s) gun, less than 1/2 choke.

I belong to a small shoot where we shoot pheasants and partridges at very 'normal' ranges (not extreme high bird) - with the occasional 'screamer' high bird (which in reality is probably not in excess of 40 yards).  I use a game fibre wad cartridge having 1 oz of no 6 (Hull Imperial Game) through a game gun which is 1/4 and 1/2 choked.  It does the job at the ranges I use - provided I do my bit.  I won't try at extreme range - unless it is a bird that has been seen to be pricked in which case I believe it is right to make the attempt to finish the job.   I am aware that the cartridge/choke combination I use has it's limitations and is not a 'long range' choice - but it suits what I do and at the ranges I use it at.

I have patterned my gun with the cartridges I use for clays, but a long while ago and the pattern was nicely even and in line with expectations.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

100% agree. 

I shoot sporting clays - for fun, not as a serious competition (although loser buys the coffee does apply sometimes).  I am happy to use my gun at a clay any range - even what I regard as stupidly long ranges - where I get the occasional hit.  Clays don't get wounded, so I have no 'conscience' doing this.  I use a 3/4 oz clays fibre wad type load (Hull Comp X) from a game orientated (usually s/s) gun, less than 1/2 choke.

I belong to a small shoot where we shoot pheasants and partridges at very 'normal' ranges (not extreme high bird) - with the occasional 'screamer' high bird (which in reality is probably not in excess of 40 yards).  I use a game fibre wad cartridge having 1 oz of no 6 (Hull Imperial Game) through a game gun which is 1/4 and 1/2 choked.  It does the job at the ranges I use - provided I do my bit.  I won't try at extreme range - unless it is a bird that has been seen to be pricked in which case I believe it is right to make the attempt to finish the job.   I am aware that the cartridge/choke combination I use has it's limitations and is not a 'long range' choice - but it suits what I do and at the ranges I use it at.

I have patterned my gun with the cartridges I use for clays, but a long while ago and the pattern was nicely even and in line with expectations.

The loads guns and scenarios you describe are what traditional game shooters use / need.

My own personal choice is a tight 1/4 and 3/4 choke and a 28 gram load of english 61/2s  this gives around 340 pellets in a load and yet pellet energy and count match my typical needs the choke combination gives me the slight changes in density i need to reach the requirement /of the ranges i typically shoot.

The shot size choice i came about by trial and error and it just so happens my shot maker throws this size very uniform with a set of nozzles i made.

Bigger or smaller shot sizes will of couese suffice, but in this shot size zone the definitions eng euro usa etc get quite complicated and a hundred pellets can be gained in just a size up etc. so working out in MMs looking at ft lbs typical velocity can dictate a decision.

Buying numbers on boxes is ok but cartridge makers are sloppy and you get what is there quite often, buying a box measuring shot is the way but its yet more work to do and the less discerning will simply not bother, and probably not notice that much difference, but get up around the raggy edge of your combinations range or game species performance levels, and we start to see how being sure of what you are shooting will start to show in the performance.

Edited by lancer425

On 26/11/2019 at 08:48, yickdaz said:

you couldn;t repeat that for your life nevermind money, anyway you can't repeat something you haven't done in the first place 

can take you to the same field  spinney to flight to a sitter  tree   85 yrds from shooting position   will do my best to come close to the best day ever   jelly turkey choke 80 tho constriction  so double full  extrema 1  new gun syndrome  you can have a go and I will coach you to kill consistently  given same conditions  no wind pigeons floating to the sitte tree      or come clay busting to wedgeock Warwickshire   haven't been there for over 12 months   a sporting layout ill buy the coffee and bacon sarnie  before win or loose  either way     not shot in 18 mts be gentle  or shoot where you want  ill still buy bacon sarnie and coffee either way  however I don't like to loose  

Edited by Saltings

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

can take you to the same field  spinney to flight to a sitter  tree   85 yrds from shooting position   will do my best to come close to the best day ever   jelly turkey choke 80 tho constriction  so double full  extrema 1  new gun syndrome  you can have a go and I will coach you to kill consistently  given same conditions  no wind pigeons floating to the sitte tree      or come clay busting to wedgeock Warwickshire   haven't been there for over 12 months   a sporting layout ill buy the coffee and bacon sarnie  before win or loose  either way     not shot in 18 mts be gentle  or shoot where you want  ill still buy bacon sarnie and coffee either way  however I don't like to loose  

I hope it gets video'd!

11 hours ago, Saltings said:

ok i.m up for that 

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:51, button said:

Think that is a bit harsh, i see no issue with what he does, If you have the ability

He is an egotist by anyone's standard. I would love to see his claims scientifically verified.  I’ve seen the videos but its even more difficult to judge a pheasants range from a camera than in the field.  I’ve footage of 55 yard plus birds that I have shot but I’d say they were 55 yards not 80 yards although they look very much like David’s 80+ yarders.  David is very fortunate to get to shoot the likes of Llechweddygarth, that shoot produces some awesome birds.  I beat on that shoot, Three Valleys and Long Mountain 6 days a week for four seasons and I can tell you that Llechweddygarth was the one that got me fit/nearly killed me. Beating as we did one day nine drives as nearly the death of the beating team and dogs.  Anyone who wants to see really high birds killed should go and pick up on any one of the those three. I’ve seen the highest birds killed however shot on Llechweddygarth.  Its a shame David is actually doing harm to the sport he actually loves by making claims that he can not verify.  I’ve tried my lazer range finder and a friend’s much superior Swarovski and it seems impossible to be able to hold it on target long enough to be able to an accurate distance.  Perhaps as technology improves then it will be possible.  I would not encourage people to take long shots as they feel that they have to.  Kill the the birds that you are capable of killing and make sure that you are not wounding birds unnecessarily.  Its hard enough for most guns to consistently kill 40 yard birds so concentrate on doing that.

On 10/09/2021 at 01:05, DrStrangeGl0ve said:

He is an egotist by anyone's standard. I would love to see his claims scientifically verified.  I’ve seen the videos but its even more difficult to judge a pheasants range from a camera than in the field.  I’ve footage of 55 yard plus birds that I have shot but I’d say they were 55 yards not 80 yards although they look very much like David’s 80+ yarders.  David is very fortunate to get to shoot the likes of Llechweddygarth, that shoot produces some awesome birds.  I beat on that shoot, Three Valleys and Long Mountain 6 days a week for four seasons and I can tell you that Llechweddygarth was the one that got me fit/nearly killed me. Beating as we did one day nine drives as nearly the death of the beating team and dogs.  Anyone who wants to see really high birds killed should go and pick up on any one of the those three. I’ve seen the highest birds killed however shot on Llechweddygarth.  Its a shame David is actually doing harm to the sport he actually loves by making claims that he can not verify.  I’ve tried my lazer range finder and a friend’s much superior Swarovski and it seems impossible to be able to hold it on target long enough to be able to an accurate distance.  Perhaps as technology improves then it will be possible.  I would not encourage people to take long shots as they feel that they have to.  Kill the the birds that you are capable of killing and make sure that you are not wounding birds unnecessarily.  Its hard enough for most guns to consistently kill 40 yard birds so concentrate on doing that.

Welcome to the forum 

awesome introduction 🤔