Extreme pheasant shooting

B725

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So having put the high birders 80 yard claims to rest as pure  cock and bull stories. 

Purely anecdotal now.   Supposing we needed to kill to 80 yards with  a 12ga shotgun,  I do shoot a lot of foxes rifle but i like sport shotgunning for them  my gun with a sight indian creek BDS choke various shot types i get out there in range. lots of info on this link might put things into perspective a bit, and give an incling what might be needed for real 80 yards consistentlyhttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

Edited by lancer425

26 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

So having put the high birders 80 yard claims to rest as pure  cock and bull stories. 

Purely anecdotal now.   Supposing we needed to kill to 80 yards with  a 12ga shotgun,  I do shoot a lot of foxes rifle but i like sport shotgunning for them  my gun with a sight indian creek BDS choke various shot types i get out there in range. lots of info on this link might put things into perspective a bit, and give an incling what might be needed for real 80 yards consistentlyhttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

Was GD talking rubbish? May be I misheard he said it was 85 yards in which case I stand corrected

20 minutes ago, button said:

Move it to 3.10

Inexperience?

What...? .... top of that ash tree is about 80 yards......  

Sorry but that’s hardly a unquestionable 80 yard claim is it. ?

Nothing i saw in that video was anything other than UNLESS i can see the vitals, ABOUT  roughly.

If we talk shotguns Diggweed or me we both need gun ammo combination that works at the ranges we want to kill. he cant do it if his ammo wont do it.

14 minutes ago, button said:

Was GD talking rubbish? May be I misheard he said it was 85 yards in which case I stand corrected

You heard correctly.

Having watched GD, along with other renown high bird shots shoot with us, I can categorically say his range estimation is spot on. He and others proficient at high birds can and do kill such birds consistently all day long.

I'm afraid to say we will never convince those who have never seen such shots in action. What I take exception to is the fact that they resort to basically calling those who can do so, including GD, liars. What they really need to do is get out in the field and see for themselves rather than venting their prejudice and misguided views on the keyboard. You never know,  one day they may become good enough to shoot such birds themselves.

11 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

You heard correctly.

Having watched GD, along with other renown high bird shots shoot with us, I can categorically say his range estimation is spot on. He and others proficient at high birds can and do kill such birds consistently all day long.

I'm afraid to say we will never convince those who have never seen such shots in action. What I take exception to is the fact that they resort to basically calling those who can do so, including GD, liars. What they really need to do is get out in the field and see for themselves rather than venting their prejudice and misguided views on the keyboard. You never know,  one day they may become good enough to shoot such birds themselves.

100% correct

While this has had some good points raised. Some of the comments on this thread have been quite unbelievable

36 minutes ago, button said:

100% correct

While this has had some good points raised. Some of the comments on this thread have been quite unbelievable

When it comes to pattern testing I find that I can do no other than agree.

" Isn't that just as misguided as ignoring one shot in a pattern test because it spoiled the result? "

" I would call that a reasonable adjustment to give a more accurate picture "

21 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

You heard correctly.

Sorry, how do you know his range estimation is spot on?

By the way, I see no prejudice in this thread. I don't think George Digweed is a liar. All I am commenting on is shooting that is beyond the equipment's ability to perform time after time. People dismissing things like shotgun pattern testing is more alarming.

49 minutes ago, motty said:

Sorry, how do you know his range estimation is spot on?

By the way, I see no prejudice in this thread. I don't think George Digweed is a liar. All I am commenting on is shooting that is beyond the equipment's ability to perform time after time. People dismissing things like shotgun pattern testing is more alarming.

Simply because I know the height of my drives and his estimates of presented birds has been spot on.

On 12/11/2019 at 18:32, button said:

Limiting factor a cartridge? Give a poor shot the right cartridge still won't bring the birds down!

I think you are missing `Motty`s` point on the limiting factor ! 

If you give a poor shot and a real expert a rubbish cartridge, niether will bring the birds down.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

When it comes to pattern testing I find that I can do no other than agree.

" Isn't that just as misguided as ignoring one shot in a pattern test because it spoiled the result? "

" I would call that a reasonable adjustment to give a more accurate picture "

Why not think about the context that it was posted in and what it was referring to, to save you time page 7

Edited by button

2 hours ago, CharlieT said:

You heard correctly.

https://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/shoot-pheasants-like-george-digweed-37727

Please read the article.

2 hours ago, button said:

Some of the comments on this thread have been quite unbelievable

You can say that again, at times I couldn’t tell whether some were on a wind up mission. 

Edited by Hamster

On estimating range, Eley used to have a page with pheasants at different ranges and the the sizes they would appear to your eye. 

One of the gun magazines had a similar thing years ago, you pulled out the page and stuck it to a wall. Place your barrels to it to see how much lead at what distance with again birds sized to what your eye would see.

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

So what gun load/ shot size /choke are the extreme pheasant shooters on this forum using to cleanly kill these 80 yard birds.?

If I was going I'd be using Victory mini magnums 40g of three or four shot. Or similar by another maker no tighter than 3/4 choke. Don't want too much pellet damage passing through the chokes.

5 minutes ago, figgy said:

On estimating range, Eley used to have a page with pheasants at different ranges and the the sizes they would appear to your eye. 

One of the gun magazines had a similar thing years ago, you pulled out the page and stuck it to a wall. Place your barrels to it to see how much lead at what distance with again birds sized to what your eye would see.

If I was going I'd be using Victory mini magnums 40g of three or four shot. Or similar by another maker no tighter than 3/4 choke. Don't want too much pellet damage passing through the chokes.

Ideas on what will get it done clean in a 12ga are for latter, meanwhile we still need to know what these apparently unquestionable 80 yard shooters are using to routinely kill these birds.  . Not expecting a rush of info it has to be said.

28 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Ideas on what will get it done clean in a 12ga are for latter, meanwhile we still need to know what these apparently unquestionable 80 yard shooters are using to routinely kill these birds.  . Not expecting a rush of info it has to be said.

It was stated early in the thread

I think gd sums it up nicely in this article 

Particularly this bit 

I have seen a lot of high birds shot (and shot at) and, in my opinion, with the modern guns and cartridges available, a true 60-yard pheasant is consistently killable up to that height if you possess the necessary skill. Any higher and you are relying on luck and we need to question seriously whether luck should play any part when it comes to the humane dispatch of a living quarry. 

I have no reason to doubt his ability or opinion, he's proven himself more than 26 times.

6 hours ago, button said:

Move it to 3.10

4 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I think gd sums it up nicely in this article 

Particularly this bit 

I have seen a lot of high birds shot (and shot at) and, in my opinion, with the modern guns and cartridges available, a true 60-yard pheasant is consistently killable up to that height if you possess the necessary skill. Any higher and you are relying on luck and we need to question seriously whether luck should play any part when it comes to the humane dispatch of a living quarry. 

I have no reason to doubt his ability or opinion, he's proven himself more than 26 times.