Extreme pheasant shooting

B725

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Numerous requests for pictures of pattern plate results, but up till now nothing..?

Is there a reason, or have you not got round to it yet.?

Patterns these chaps? Not going to happen. they have fluked a few convinced themselves its doable at least now and again so bang away praise the flukes ignore the wounded  all good in their world and they are rolling with it.

Very sad in my opinion .

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I don't shoot bits of paper, got far better things to do with my time.

You don't have to.....get Hull to take a photo at 80yds, Watsapp it to you then bang it up on PW.

That way you wont have to lower yourself to shooting bits of paper...

With all the info/bumf you've posted on this thread I'd thought you'd be falling over yourself to prove the ney sayers wrong...

Some are being a tad harsh here 

Perazzi has said a few times that he mostly shoots 60 yard birds it’s the videos posted showing 80 + birds with no mention of cartridge load or chokes that some seem to beraave him for

im sure if he posted a pattern picture some would disbelieve it was real 

the best plan is to patterern them yourself

the high bird shooting is there book a day

or give the chaps who want a challenge that shoot small bores at normal birds the equivalent stick  is it any different 

19 gramms at a 30 yard birds

36 gram at a 60

just my thoughts

of  

2 hours ago, dipper said:

Dont have to pattern at 80yds to have a approximate idea of pattern.After 40 yards you lose 10% pattern every 5yds.Pellets in load 167 .So at80yds your left with 10% of original load about 17pellets in30 circle not a pattern just a few odd pellets.Unless guy from hull cartridges can work magic.

Not sure your maths stacks up there, but it could be me, I would have thought it's more like 70 pellets?

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

or give the chaps who want a challenge that shoot small bores at normal birds the equivalent stick  is it any different 

36 gram at a 60

just my thoughts

of  

18g No 7 at 35 yards with Briley Light Mod Choke..... 136 pellets in 30 inch circle

No7_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Some are being a tad harsh here 

Perazzi has said a few times that he mostly shoots 60 yard birds it’s the videos posted showing 80 + birds with no mention of cartridge load or chokes that some seem to beraave him for

im sure if he posted a pattern picture some would disbelieve it was real 

the best plan is to patterern them yourself

the high bird shooting is there book a day

36 gram at a 60

just my thoughts

of  

Well said👍

it’s the videos posted showing 80 + birds with no mention of cartridge load or chokes that some seem to beraave him for

Earlier in the thread;

They are Hull High Pheasant Extreme 34/4 fibre, going through Miroku 32" 18.4 bore barrels

We have tried 40/4s, 36/4s, 34/4 HPE Fibre this year and during extensive testing with Hull on pattern plates at 70yd and out in the field the 34/4 have performed the best with 5/8th choke in 18/4 barrels.

I'll leave this here. As it is only 122 yards which the neyseyers will choke on, but proves the developments in cartridges that the conventional dinosaurs will dismiss but under the mis sale of goods act and false advertising would be banned if not true.

How you can dust a clay at 122yds with no pattern maybe they would like to explain. 

I've just quoted in all this that you can kill pheasants at 80yds! I've been called a liar. Please contact Eley for your thoughts on this!

2 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I'll leave this here. As it is only 122 yards which the neyseyers will choke on, but proves the developments in cartridges that the conventional dinosaurs will dismiss but under the mis sale of goods act and false advertising would be banned if not true.

How you can dust a clay at 122yds with no pattern maybe they would like to explain. 

I've just quoted in all this that you can kill pheasants at 80yds! I've been called a liar. Please contact Eley for your thoughts on this!

How many times does it have to be said?

No one doubts clays can be broken at silly ranges or that pheasants can be killed at 80 yards. 

Read that bit again to make sure you understand it. 

What is causing the issue is that some, myself included, do not believe that shooting pheasants at 80 yards is ethical , humane, or in anyway sporting and will cause unnecessary injury and suffering to many more birds that you bring down cleanly. 

This is due to the pattern and power being somewhat lacking at that ridiculous distance. The shots will not be consistent and you rely on luck. 

Missed clays don't fly on to flap about and suffer. 

I could go into the ballastics as others have done but you don't care for it and won't shoot bits of paper to actually see if your guns and cartridges perform at such a range. I highly doubt they do and predict lady luck is relied upon heavily. This is Something that would take just minutes and you can post the pics up here for us all to examine.

If a cartridge performs sufficiently to kill birds at 80 yards I can almost guarantee all others will be obsolete. I'd certainly buy some safe in the knowledge it was my skill being tested and not the performance of the cartridge at range. I can certainly improve my skill on clays if found to be lacking at those ranges but the cartridge performance is  Something i have no control over. Hence I limit my shooting to ranges I know will, provided I do my part, kill a bird without relying on luck. 

The damage to the sport this outlandish shooting causes is huge, it  creates the wrong image to those who neither understand it or want to. 

You can bet the likes of cp will use it in their crusade to ban all shooting. 

I’ll believe a picture of a “decent” pattern posted by a manufacturer is true in the same way I believe all their other marketing blurb, you know, like low recoil coupled to high velocity.

It would be a brave (read daft) manufacturer who would do such a thing in any case because it would open them up to all kinds of well deserved criticism. Turning driven pheasants into target practice is not how our sport should be defended or presented to the public. 

5 hours ago, GingerCat said:

How many times does it have to be said?

No one doubts clays can be broken at silly ranges or that pheasants can be killed at 80 yards. 

Read that bit again to make sure you understand it. 

What is causing the issue is that some, myself included, do not believe that shooting pheasants at 80 yards is ethical , humane, or in anyway sporting and will cause unnecessary injury and suffering to many more birds that you bring down cleanly. 

This is due to the pattern and power being somewhat lacking at that ridiculous distance. The shots will not be consistent and you rely on luck. 

Missed clays don't fly on to flap about and suffer. 

I could go into the ballastics as others have done but you don't care for it and won't shoot bits of paper to actually see if your guns and cartridges perform at such a range. I highly doubt they do and predict lady luck is relied upon heavily. This is Something that would take just minutes and you can post the pics up here for us all to examine.

If a cartridge performs sufficiently to kill birds at 80 yards I can almost guarantee all others will be obsolete. I'd certainly buy some safe in the knowledge it was my skill being tested and not the performance of the cartridge at range. I can certainly improve my skill on clays if found to be lacking at those ranges but the cartridge performance is  Something i have no control over. Hence I limit my shooting to ranges I know will, provided I do my part, kill a bird without relying on luck. 

The damage to the sport this outlandish shooting causes is huge, it  creates the wrong image to those who neither understand it or want to. 

You can bet the likes of cp will use it in their crusade to ban all shooting. 

As I've said before birds get injured at all ranges. That argument is not valid.

Public perception is horrified when they see birds being blown out the sky in a cloud of feathers, which is where the damage will be done! Yet this what folk on here seem to think we should be doing.

22 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Nobody here believes birds should be pillowcased, you’re making thing up to suit your own weak argument. 

No that is what the naysayers have been doing throughout this debate.

Various ratios have been mentioned less than 2:1 for instance.

Which means a layman member of the public will see bird after bird falling out the sky, as they call it "mass slaughter". Comments like "they didn't stand a chance, a line of guns surrounded the wood and as soon as they appeared the were blown out the sky", "hardly anything got away" "dogs chasing after injured birds" 

That is what will stop driven pheasant shooting, as the general public would see that as barbaric.

Public perception seeing lots of birds going over a well spaced team of guns and only the odd few falling looks far more ethical in THEIR eyes.

The antis couldn't care less what range a pheasant is shot, its the notion that people get pleasure from killing something that they care about. This will never alter and people like packam can use this to gather support for there own agenda's via social media. There is a movement to to ban eating all meat which is gaining support especially from those that want to save the planet, You can argue about ethics and patterns for as long as you like,  but it wont alter the fact that we should pointing out the benefits of proper countryside management before these fools get their way and destroy it..  

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

OF was doing fine until his final option which would have been better unsaid.

Are you agreeing that there is no difference between the two loads/distances specified? If so, you seemed to have missed the evidence which was supplied showing otherwise.

Probably a equal chance of wounding although easier to see at the shorter range 

10 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I just draw your attention to claims made by motor manufacturers, such as the VW emissions scandal! How long was that going on before the lies were exposed?.....manufacturers claims mean little, independent tests are more believable!

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

OF was doing fine until his final option which would have been better unsaid.

Are you agreeing that there is no difference between the two loads/distances specified? If so, you seemed to have missed the evidence which was supplied showing otherwise.

Read everything he put - if you have an issue take it up with OF