Extreme pheasant shooting

B725

3 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

3 times I've already said 1 gun fired 300 for zero (no dead, no pricked) so that brings the average down to 2000 shots for 300 6.6:1 for the other 8 team members.

Still making things up to suit the agenda really is bitter! As for the wine I'm sure that was to do with something totally different what relevance it has here just displays a degree of contempt on your part.

100% no pricked birds???

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perazzishot - if you ever need a loader I'd be happy to do it, as I for one would genuinely like to see a genuine high bird shoot

I think this has been a genuinely good debate with valid points made on both sides, spoiled by some cheap digs  which I can only assume are driven by envy!

55 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

That is the point wymberley, the idea of this totally horrifies me, and where I was leading with the comments on scatter guns which has been ignored almost entirely and peoples ethics. But when you have coveys of birds sent over guns the likelihood of pricking birds is far higher than high pheasants. Yet this is the stick being used to say high birds shooting causes pricked and injured birds and will get shooting banned. Yet the people going to these shoots are doing everything they can to go with the best of equipment to reduce this risk.

Yet someone going on a driven partridge shoot or pigeon shoot can go out with open chokes 26" barrels 36g/6s  (I've seen it) and shoot at coveys of partridge or flocks of incoming pigeons but this is never mentioned. You will never see 2 or 3 high pheasants fall out the sky for a single shot but have seen it countless times with pigeons, partridges and teal.

Picking a single pheasant in the sky with space all around it, and folding it cleanly is the desire but also having the ability along with the pickers up to see it being hit and ensuring it is picked up.

Well, I must say that I was beginning to think that we'd never get there. You are horrified by the activities of some which we know as "browning". This is one of our two wrongs which can be made right. The other wrong is the one that we've been discussing for  some 6 pages. The only way that this can be corrected is to stop doing it - at least until such time as a gun/cartridge can be found which will as far as is reasonably possible ensure that a truly aimed shot will result in a clean kill.

15 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

3 times I've already said 1 gun fired 300 for zero (no dead, no pricked) so that brings the average down to 2000 shots for 300 6.6:1 for the other 8 team members.

Still making things up to suit the agenda really is bitter! As for the wine I'm sure that was to do with something totally different what relevance it has here just displays a degree of contempt on your part.

How could you possibly know if fellow guns have or have not pricked birds?

That is my main gripe with all this. There is no way anyone can convince me that several pheasants will not go away with a single pellet wound in the rear end. It wouldn't matter if you had 100 pickers up on the shoot, you will not be picking those.

27 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Isn't that just as misguided as ignoring one shot in a pattern test because it spoiled the result?

3 minutes ago, motty said:

How could you possibly know if fellow guns have or have not pricked birds?

That is my main gripe with all this. There is no way anyone can convince me that several pheasants will not go away with a single pellet wound in the rear end. It wouldn't matter if you had 100 pickers up on the shoot, you will not be picking those.

I wouldn't disagree with that but that could happen on any shoot 

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Isn't that just as misguided as ignoring one shot in a pattern test because it spoiled the result?

I would call that a reasonable adjustment to give a more accurate picture

37 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Contempt is too strong a word to use. I simply don't believe that your shooting abilities are as good as you make out.

As for the wine reference, who needs to brag about more than one wine collection?

23 minutes ago, button said:

Perazzishot - if you ever need a loader I'd be happy to do it, as I for one would genuinely like to see a genuine high bird shoot

I think this has been a genuinely good debate with valid points made on both sides, spoiled by some cheap digs  which I can only assume are driven by envy!

I see you are an apologist for Perazzishot and a sycophant. 

There is no envy on my part I can assure you.

Edited by JDog

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

Contempt is too strong a word to use. I simply don't believe that your shooting abilities are as good as you make out.

As for the wine reference, who needs to brag about more than one wine collection?

Because you don't keep, red, white, sparkling and rose together 😉

Button, what part of Scotland are you in? Have you double gun loaded before?

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

I see you are an apologist for Perazziman and a sycophant. 

There is no envy on my part I can assure you.

Apologist? If you say so

Sycophant, your obviously more educated than me as I had to google it guess that makes you better than me but you knew that already

BTW who is Perazziman?

Edited by button

39 minutes ago, button said:

This would suggest a gun/cartridge capable of bringing the high ones down has been found

You don't get it, do you! No one has said that birds can't be cleanly killed at 80 yards - just that luck is playing too big a part.

I haven't seen this film, but I would bet the birds are more like 65 yards up.

As has been said earlier - this is a willy waving exercise. 

Ballastics simply do not allow for consistent kills at these "extreme" ranges. I don't doubt for a second if I fired 300 shots at birds at 80 or 90 yards I'd kill some, wound far more and miss a lot as well. None of it would please me in any way and I'd have to consider what I term sporting. 

The onus is on the shooter to be responsible and wounding birds will add fuel to the antis fire. We know what the result will be. 

I have discussed this "extreme" shooting with a good friend who spends more than my salary on driven days all over the country on some of these estates mentioned and others not.  He said it resulted in pricked birds and inflated egos. He suggested 60 yards was the best one could hope for and after that it was pure chance if the bird came down. I agreed. His shooting abilities can be considered exceptional and his pockets somewhat deeper than most which rules out both ability and kit. 

This article also agrees 

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/how-not-to-waste-a-shot-91293

With nothing better to do and just in case rbrowning2 is right (and what he says makes sense), why not see if Hull can do you some 36g, 415 V2.5, steel No 1 (English - 0.143"). You're under both the 4mm shot/choke and the 15Ns limits and as the steel patterns tighter than lead and you've pretty much the same pellet count, you'll be able to show what you can really do.

11 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

If we can get advanced sales of 12000 I could probably order them. In the meantime I'll mention it and see if they will make some and get figures and try for copies of the 70yd pattern plate.

Don't look at me, I've enough on my plate with my 26" barrels, more open choke and No 7 shot. I'll take my consultancy fee in some 12 bore 30g High Pheasant 7s.

On a positive note and leaving aside extreme vs high birds, is that given the challenges shooting is facing these days to move away from toxic lead shot and plastic wads to non-toxic shot used within environment friendly plastic or fibre wads, 

we all need the not insignificant amount of money the likes of perrazzishot spend on game shooting to ensure all shooting sports can continue at a price we can all afford, because i think it will be game shooting money within the cartridge industry which will drive forward new initiatives that hopefully will benefit all shooting.

we already have one supermarket saying from next season they will only sell game shot with non-toxic shot and you can bet where one goes the rest will follow.  And game shooting is only justified if the shot game enters the food chain and exporting lead shot game will not go unchallenged if it is unacceptable for domestic consumption.

Then the EU are debating on banning all lead from shot and ammunition. And finally you have the likes of wild justice calling for a ban on lead shot, a ban on driven grouse shooting and a review of releasing non native pheasants into the countryside and soon the GLs will be again on their agenda.

like it or not the future is far from certain.