Anyone make a stick seat

team tractor

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Oooo good idea

get a can of matt kahki spray paint and spray it up..........ive often seen old boys at the race track with those type of seats...and have always thought that they look better and more comfortable that the shooting stuff ..let us know how you get on ..

google "walkers disability seat"....amazon....there are about 20 different models....some are seriously good    from £25-£70 quid...

you have to scroll thro all the wheeled walkers ...7 or 8 pages...:good:

Edited by ditchman

4 minutes ago, team tractor said:

The thing is they’re normally really low. This is for while I’m waiting for ducks so I’d like to be almost standing up 👍

hello, yes TT some are, can you not find an empty drum and leave by pond, just take a cushion or ? thats what i did many years ago, had a lid so kept barley in to.  

I'm reliant on a walking stick and unable to walk very far even on a good day.

Mobility aids and the seats available are generally too heavy to lug around unless you have a helper or are very close to your vehicle. They also need flat ground, tarmac, concrete etc, or they sink into the ground. They can be comfortable used correctly.

If you're shooting you don't need the extra weight or by the time you arrive you'll need a proper rest.

My son bought me a good branded strong shooting stick. I can use it as a walking stick and rest as needed. It has a strap so it goes over the body if required when shooting.

They do take a little getting used to as a degree of balance is still required. Most definitely worth the outlay. Mine also has a screw on rubber foot so I can use it on a solid base too. Don't look out of place either. (Important to me as I don't like to be seen as disabled or singled out)

Can be adjusted to fit any height

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes TT some are, can you not find an empty drum and leave by pond, just take a cushion or ? thats what i did many years ago, had a lid so kept barley in to.  

We keep loosing everything at the moment due to the floods. It’s washing everything away

2 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm reliant on a walking stick and unable to walk very far even on a good day.

Mobility aids and the seats available are generally too heavy to lug around unless you have a helper or are very close to your vehicle. They also need flat ground, tarmac, concrete etc, or they sink into the ground. They can be comfortable used correctly.

If you're shooting you don't need the extra weight or by the time you arrive you'll need a proper rest.

My son bought me a good branded strong shooting stick. I can use it as a walking stick and rest as needed. It has a strap so it goes over the body if required when shooting.

They do take a little getting used to as a degree of balance is still required. Most definitely worth the outlay. Mine also has a screw on rubber foot so I can use it on a solid base too. Don't look out of place either. (Important to me as I don't like to be seen as disabled or singled out)

A few of us have said we want one so I won’t look odd  at least . It’s the 2-3 hours standing around by the splash in the cold that’s a pain.

I made a couple of the tripod style seats used by Continetal shooters. I will get them out of the Landie and take a photo.  I carry mine to and from my stands on shoot days and they are remarkably comfortable. I have one of those proprietory folding sticks but not half as stable as mine and in comparison the usual shooting sticks you see are not in the same street.

Here you go. Braved the pouring rain to fetch them rom the Landie.  Legs made from pitchfork handles, leather top on one and Nilgai hide on the other. Both have been in use now for over five years and the extensions on the legs are so I can get one in my bag when I fly to Slovenia then screw the extensions on when I get there.  Have sat on them on plough and seriously soft ground and the pads on the bottom and nature of the spread legs seems to stop them sinking.  The hinge in the middle is just a piece of threaded rod and another piece welded on at the appropriate angle.  Some three inch wood screws make sure the seat stays attached. 

Ill bring them over for you to try tomorrow Nathan.

002.JPG

Edited by Walker570

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Here you go. Braved the pouring rain to fetch them rom the Landie.  Legs made from pitchfork handles, leather top on one and Nilgai hide on the other. Both have been in use now for over five years and the extensions on the legs are so I can get one in my bag when I fly to Slovenia then screw the extensions on when I get there.  Have sat on them on plough and seriously soft ground and the pads on the bottom and nature of the spread legs seems to stop them sinking.  The hinge in the middle is just a piece of threaded rod and another piece welded on at the appropriate angle.  Some three inch wood screws make sure the seat stays attached. 

002.JPG

They look spot on, I saw some for sale very similar in Lanzarote a few years ago and was tempted. Expensive too if I remember right. 

I like the idea of the mud feet, nice and stable.

Extend one leg up high, put on an ergonomic handle and I could walk with it and sit.👍

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

The thing is they’re normally really low. This is for while I’m waiting for ducks so I’d like to be almost standing up 👍

there are several models ....that are extending and are available in stainless steel or aluminium....they are sold as described "for the walker"

These shown cost me a splash of varnish and a few screws. I had the fork stails anyway.  Yes the ones I have seen have been a lot of money, £70 to £80.  These cost a bit of time and maybe a couple of quid, a bit more if you had to buy a couple of fork stails.  The ash is very strong and recommended.  I'm 79 closing on 80yrs and carrying one to my peg, maybe 3-400yards is no problem. There is a strap and clip to hold the legs closed and a sling for the shoulder.

Regarding height, then you can make these as high or low as you wish, made to measure. I use both of these for sitting at a peg on shoot days and sitting when the old sciatica hits when we eat lunch or elevensies in the field.  Having one in Slovenia when some pig drives can be an hour or more long worth the weight in gold.   They are set so I can stand up quickly if needed but on occasion have shot birds whlst still sitting. 

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

They look spot on, I saw some for sale very similar in Lanzarote a few years ago and was tempted. Expensive too if I remember right. 

I like the idea of the mud feet, nice and stable.

Extend one leg up high, put on an ergonomic handle and I could walk with it and sit.👍

As you sit with one of the pointy ends forward you would have to be carefull sitting down with the extended handle:whistling:

Had not thought of that idea though, it would add a bit of weight but might just work.  You would probably have to put a steel inner shaft to make it strong enough on that corner but it would only require about a 7-8 inch extension  to work.

3 hours ago, snow white said:

I think there is on in shed will have look later you can have it for price of postage 

Very generous 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

002.JPG

Thank you nev 😎👍

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

As you sit with one of the pointy ends forward you would have to be carefull sitting down with the extended handle:whistling:

Had not thought of that idea though, it would add a bit of weight but might just work.  You would probably have to put a steel inner shaft to make it strong enough on that corner but it would only require about a 7-8 inch extension  to work.

I found this advert in BASC mag, Nov/Dec 19.

https://www.iconicare.co.uk/Catalogue/Walking-Sticks/Ta-Da-Chair

Silly money for something that they've complicated and has no mud feet. Set me thinking about adapting your design with this handle, £7.00 from Ebay that I just glued onto an existing trekking pole.

20191111_200422.jpg