Right, I broke down near Nigg bay,the head gasket blew on my L200, I was stuck, on a minor road, after a hump back bridge,& a blind bend, the car was a real hazard, one of the party, was given a lift to nearest garage ( no phone signal!), friendly garage bloke, took vehicle to a place of safety, listened when I turned key,"blown head gasket" quoth he., I phoned AA, after 20 minutes got through to a call handler,when I explained, he told me that as a garage had been  involved, they would not relay me home!So I have hired a car transporter, & am off to bring back on Wednesday.Any views ? i have cancelled membership after many years, & also car insurance & will do same with house insurance ( all through AA)

Edited by guzzicat

That’s appalling. These companies do anything they can to wriggle out these days.

i can remember years ago I got stuck and had no recovery, phoned AA and joined and called them out straight away. 

The guy arrived and tried charging me £150 immediate callout charge. They had said nothing about this on the phone, luckily they listened back to their recorded phone call and had to refund me as they hadn’t mentioned it at all...

If you had your car moved because of safety reasons it might be argued that, as you also had car insurance thru them, you were simply attempting to mitigate their loss - as per their own Insurance terms dictate.You were, in fact, doing what they have told you. 

I'm with Green Flag and have been for over ten years. To date they have never failed me.  Must admit their service recently has not been as sharp as it has been but never left waiting more than an hour at most.   Had friends who have been marooned for hours by the AA and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Unreal, the garage took your vehicle to a safer point as not to cause potentially a very bad accident. How can that then void your cover on that occasion.. 

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely that is unacceptable, worthy of a challenge?

Otherwise it is pointless having the cover.

This^^^^ Sounds like you had a jobs worth on the phone. 

Bearing in mind it took me 40 minutes to get through their "Help"line, & add a couple  of hours for help to reach me, where I was an accident was more or less a surety.

Edited by guzzicat

moved over to greenflag this year the RAC auto renew was taking the ****,same cover half the premium cost.

Blimey I never had that issue I found the AA pretty helpful, I broke down in barmouth they recovered me and the caravan and family back home I even told them what was wrong they still sent a service van no issues. I would contact them speak to a superior and try to get compensation bit of a p### take 

I have Vw assist on my van for 3 years which is part of AA and I’ve never waited over 20 minutes to be fair. I ring them over anything :) 

change the wheel save me getting dirty etc. Cable came off the side  door release catch and it’s quicker than booking it in :).

i cancelled my rac as it was £180 a year in the end and terrible service