Heta multi fuel burner.

harrycatcat1

I pay £16  a bag for those coal / cement thing . Two bags last me 3 weeks , so around £10 a week , and it's running 24/7  . It's a good stove and very efficient  . . I have a little a little electric  heater for in the hall .( That may go on if it gets really cold ) As all our rooms are of that,  it's a bungalow.   . That is all the heating I have .

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

I pay £16  a bag for those coal / cement thing . Two bags last me 3 weeks , so around £10 a week , and it's running 24/7  . It's a good stove and very efficient  . . I have a little a little electric  heater for in the hall .( That may go on if it gets really cold ) As all our rooms are of that,  it's a bungalow.   . That is all the heating I have .

Is this the type of stuff you mean?

Is it like homefire? Some sort of hardened slurry mix?

Screenshot_20191112-142404.jpg

2 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Burnwell is its name . A shovel full seems to last for ever,  and it keeps my stove ticking over all night . 

Thats good 👍👍

38 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

I have an aarow ecoburn 11 in my bungalow as my main source of heating. It gets fed oak only as I get it for free and once the fire is filled up it lasts 3-4 hours before it needs feeding again. Very little ash only needs emptying once a week.

You are very lucky getting oak for free 👍👍👍

We burn a mix of hardwood and ovals called ‘supertherm’. The wood is great and the boss likes it for the flames - I like it as it burns down to virtually nothing with very little ash.  The supertherm banks up and provides a constant heat for donkeys - with the vents closed it’ll stay in for ever.  The only (very slight)downside is the ovals produce a lot more ash - and because they burn for ever, it can sometimes be a faff trying clean it out with still hot coals in the grate..... you definitely need a metal ash bucket.

Burn everything on our wood burner,all off cuts from work new or old timber,small 2nd fix cut for kindling,bigger 1st fix bits cut as logs,then an old conifer 4 years old and as light as a feather,butterfly bush,plumb tree,.New flue is only £200 and I have saved that 10 fold.as long as its dry/seasoned.

On 11/11/2019 at 16:45, oowee said:

I am using lots of horse chesnut in a 5kw stove and its good but it is been down for a couple of years. I tried anthracite (as the stove has multi fuel capacity) but it just went way too hot. To the point I was concerned for the stove 😞 

Reduce the internal capacity with firebricks if burning anthracite, it gives off so much more heat its incredible but its also the best and most cost effective  fuel if you are buying it. It has an energy yield of approx. 30 MJ /kg. Its what was used to be called Welsh Steam Coal, it was what they used on Locomotives back in the day. As well as having the highest energy yield it also has low pollution content.

South Wales has the best quality coal in the whole world, best energy yield, lowest pollution. Is anybody out there listening? I don't think so...………….. They would rather buy Polish low grade dirty coal to power UK power stations.

I will keep banging on in the hope that one  day maybe, just maybe, somebody will listen

Edited by Vince Green

We have a Morso Squirrel multi fuel burner (4.5 KW) in our small cottage and I get large bags of kiln dried oak (mainly) off cuts from a Kentish company that makes rocking horses. Burns really well and hot and cutting down the vents etc we can keep in overnight if necessary but normally just have it going during the evening. Works out really cheap with two big bags (4 foot tall by about 2 foot diameter) at £5 per bag lasting a month.

OB

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Reduce the internal capacity with firebricks if burning anthracite, it gives off so much more heat its incredible but its also the best and most cost effective  fuel if you are buying it. It has an energy yield of approx. 30 MJ /kg. Its what was used to be called Welsh Steam Coal, it was what they used on Locomotives back in the day. As well as having the highest energy yield it also has low pollution content.

South Wales has the best quality coal in the whole world, best energy yield, lowest pollution. Is anybody out there listening? I don't think so...………….. They would rather buy Polish low grade dirty coal to power UK power stations.

I will keep banging on in the hope that one  day maybe, just maybe, somebody will listen

Polish coal, New Zealand lamb, add in transport costs and quality and the associated jobs its mad.

I am not buying fuel at the moment as I have a couple of years of timber in but thanks for the tip on the anthracite. 

There coal industry demise is complicated.

In South Wales it was the change over from steam locomotives to Diesel locomotives on the railway and the same move away from steam power on ships that steadily reduced demand to the point that the mines became unviable. That because Welsh coal was used predominantly for steam. Even the steel industry was moving away from coal.

In Yorkshire, the Midlands and Kent coal was mined by the old Coal Board, a Nationalised quango who's main customer was the Electricity Generating Board, another Nationalised Quango.

Demand for coal was going down anyway as homes switched to gas central heating.  Pits were  already closing all through the 60s.under labour

The already grossly inefficient coal board, just put up prices to compensate until some accountant at the Electricity Generating Board realised that they could buy heavily subsidised coal from Poland for much less than they were getting it from the Coal Board. So they did, the rest is history

The basis of the decision was a disaster for the country but it was nothing to do with Maggie.  

Edited by Vince Green

On 13/11/2019 at 23:06, Vince Green said:

Don't waste your remaining breath Vince, nobody will ever listen to common sense? 

Our idiots have just decided to declare a climate emergency to lead the unknowing into the myth that loud noise and frantic activity on their part means common sense and progress?

On 14/11/2019 at 07:07, Old Boggy said:

We have a Morso Squirrel multi fuel burner (4.5 KW) in our small cottage and I get large bags of kiln dried oak (mainly) off cuts from a Kentish company that makes rocking horses. Burns really well and hot and cutting down the vents etc we can keep in overnight if necessary but normally just have it going during the evening. Works out really cheap with two big bags (4 foot tall by about 2 foot diameter) at £5 per bag lasting a month.

OB

That much wood would be about £40 here.

I found anthracite difficult to light and maintain in mine.