Steel shot

Bigal72

59 minutes ago, Bigal72 said:

Hi how do I tell if my lanber  sporting delux is ok for steel shot am I right in thinking it’s to do with the three symbols on the barrell.

Top of page steel shot what you need to know. It will be fine on normal steel.

Edited by lancer425

56 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

No one was has mentioned chokes? I thought it was only ok half or less ? I picked up a little 30 year old Ugartechea, Ignacio sxs yesterday and would love to use it on duck. But its a half and full choke

Just shoot the one barrel 😊

Im into easy solutions 

Edited by Old farrier

22 hours ago, Shearwater said:

I was told 32g of No3 were the best 'standard' cart to give a decent pattern. . . . Do you all agree?

I prefer 32g 4 and 34g or 36g in 3 shot for patterns.  Your gun and choke may pattern them well. 

Captain Hastings depends on what size your going to out through it. I'd put 32g of 4 through the full choke.

Edited by figgy

The old steel shot only half choke thing has been thrashed to death on here.

Full choke is fine with steel fixed or multi choke, i shoot several multi chokes with way tighter than full choke in them with no issues at all. I use several fixed choke full choke guns with steel routinely have done since it came out.

i do only shoot BB 4.5mm steel or smaller shot sizes  in 12ga. but i am sure they will handle bigger shot its just i chose not to, if i want to use T or F i will use 10ga.

What patterns in a gun can vary barrel to barrel, 32 gram of 3s is just another load, your gun may pattern it well but it may like another shot charge or shot size better.  Some do not bother patterning some do its not the whole deal in shooting, but it shows what your choice of gun and load are doing at a given range regarding spread and shows where your load could be better. Depending on your gun your load availability or choice of load data if you reload give you the option to improve your pattern in that gun.  I have had  shop bought ammo work ok and give some decent performance, but reloading for me offers so much versatility and choice of load add to this the option to adjust details of the load itself to achieve exactly what you want at the range you want it means for me at leat i reload most of the ammo i shoot that is rifle or shotgun.