Recent Flooding

TIGHTCHOKE

Okay, heartless ****** alert!

I have just been watching the ITV evening News.

A tearful business woman being moved in a small boat is moaning that her Insurance does not cover her home or her business (same place)for flooding.

In the background, her large detached house complete with Range-Rover and Mercedes sitting in the thigh high water!

How/why did she skimp and save on her insurance and now expects someone to help her?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a few in South Yorkshire affected by floods and have been excluded from flood damage on their insurance due to the floods in 2007.

Many of the same houses that were flooded before flooded again.

Same roads in same areas. My opinion is that the large firms along the rivers and places like Meadowhell learnt in 2007 and spent big money beefing up defences that contained the river and pushed the floods into other areas. This is why many of the older terraced houses are flooding, the working man can't build flood defences several hundred yards away on a public riverbank. Even though some have sandbags in place to help, water comes into cellars and rises.

I live around a mile up a steep hill, above the snow line. My garage flooded with the run off of water from the hills and moors still above me. It must be awful even lower down knowing that it's still running off. Despite my garage now being dry, that water is still making it's way into the various watercourses as the drains are full. 

2 hours ago, bobt said:

if your house/area has a history of flooding, you cannot get insurance.

would you cover them?

Not strictly true. We lived right next to the Severn with the vyrnwy maybe 1/4 of a mile behind us. We bought the place believing it had never flooded on the previous owners say so. Turns out back in 2000 when we had the bad floods our place had indeed flooded. If anyone remembers the it being on the news about the water buffalo farmer taking his buffalo calves into the house well he was up stream from ours. Anyway we had flood insurance. Can't be anymore precise with the details but we were definitely insured for flooding. The flood defences failed in varying degrees over the years, anyone who shoots at Haimwood will know about the main road and then the TV junction to Haimwood and where the argae over tops by where they used to orepresent still do the bolting rabbit.

What I don't get is why you wouldn't move your car somewhere if there's been a history of flooding and also why not have a stock pile of provisions and move all your valuables upstairs then it's just new carpets and dehumidifiers everywhere not ideal but not the end of the world either. 

Lets all be fair, this week has been horrendous for many. I know that the ground around me is waterlogged and still water is just running off into lanes. One in a village nearby I have never seen flooded before and have lived here for 30yrs and my parents since 1962 before that.    Local authorities have a lot to answer for allowing building on known flood areas.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Lets all be fair, this week has been horrendous for many. I know that the ground around me is waterlogged and still water is just running off into lanes. One in a village nearby I have never seen flooded before and have lived here for 30yrs and my parents since 1962 before that.    Local authorities have a lot to answer for allowing building on known flood areas.

We’ve given up on the splash. It’s that high in polesworth it’s a joke just washing food away. I guess the square was flooded again ?

I live about 7 mile from the floods in fishlake, we are ok here being on higher sandy ground, the ground round here is saturated and all the drainage ditches are full all this water has to go somewere as well as what's coming down the Don. The river Torne runs through part of the land I shoot on and has gone over in several places but only into flood meadows. 

That village is well known to me. 

That part of the river Don was artificially straightened in the early 1600s by a Dutchman named Cornelius Vermuyden. He didn’t quite get it right and in the 1630s there was extensive flooding in Fishlake, Sykehouse and Snaith. As a result a relief river called the Dutch river was built which runs for several miles as straight as an arrow to Goole. Both the Don and Dutch rivers are tidal even so far inland which is part of the problem.

As a boy I shot many ducks along those river banks.

Edited by JDog

19 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve had flood paperwork come through to my house. I live on top of the hill . I’m the highest point in the area 

Is your middle name Noah?

I'm another with a small river at the end of my garden,  hadn't flooded in 60 years till we moved in, insurance is available but you pay a premium,  so far we've been lucky. 

I understood that we all paid a small premium on top of our house insurance to cover those in flood risk areas. It was part of a deal done between the government and the insurers to allow all to get reasonable insurance post the 2007 floods. I heard it said the same again today on the radio. 

flood-home.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by oowee

19 hours ago, henry d said:

I was flooded in early 90's, have had either expensive or difficulty getting insurance. Most insurers ask if you are within 300/400m of a watercourse...

Surely the correct answer is...........................................................

............................................................Not at the moment!:whistling: