Recent Flooding

TIGHTCHOKE

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm just waiting for the Labour party to stop flooding!

They are going to nationalise it

and pay for it by taxing Amazon and Google (and best of luck getting money out of them - they will simply move offshore if it is cheaper  to operate from there)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm just waiting for the Labour party to stop flooding!

They seem to be promising all sorts of stuff lately!

magic grandpa to the rescue............followed by HRH Kevin the Carrot and his mrs ....Sparkle Markle (the one with the electric teeth)

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

magic grandpa to the rescue............followed by HRH Kevin the Carrot and his mrs ....Sparkle Markle (the one with the electric teeth)

Don't forget the free Unicorns to each household, they say they will use those that they say the Brexieers are offering as they will cancel Brexit:D:crazy:

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

.  One major contributor has been that the drainage (installed perhaps 50 - 75 years ago or more) cannot cope well with the much greater area of fast run off from roofs, drives, patios, car parks etc.  The other problem is much of it doesn't work at all any longer.

In Milton Keynes every development of any significance must provide a sustainable urban drainage system (suds) with each development. This is basically a series of retaining ponds that slow down the rate of run off into the rivers. All designed to avoid flooding. On top of that there are several balancing lakes with spillways that take water from the rivers and hold that again increasing lag time and reducing the water height. 

Just now, oowee said:

In Milton Keynes every development of any significance must provide a sustainable urban drainage system (suds) with each development. This is basically a series of retaining ponds that slow down the rate of run off into the rivers. All designed to avoid flooding. On top of that there are several balancing lakes with spillways that take water from the rivers and hold that again increasing lag time and reducing the water height. 

That's Milton Keynes saved then:good:

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Where I live, the biggest 'development' was of 4 dwellings!  But there have been numerous 'fill in' single dwellings and MUCH more tarmac drives, patios etc.  But the biggest problem is (as my photo showed) many of the drains that are there simply don't work anymore.

39 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Where I live, the biggest 'development' was of 4 dwellings!  But there have been numerous 'fill in' single dwellings and MUCH more tarmac drives, patios etc.  But the biggest problem is (as my photo showed) many of the drains that are there simply don't work anymore.

I suspected that would be the case. 

I drove back from Lincolnshire yesterday afternoon after a drenching and all the way back we came across water lying in the road in dips where the council had put the drains up hill from the low spot by about 20yrds or more.  In a couple of places had they put a couple of run off breaks in the roadside the water could have run away down the fields.  Most of the flooding spots could have been averted with a bit of common sense but have never come across Council road engineers with much of that over many years of dealing with such situations, often needing for someone to get killed before anyhting was done.   Add all of this flooding to the idiot drivers. I saw three in the ditch where the cars had obviously hit the water at speed and been thrown of the road as a result.

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I drove back from Lincolnshire yesterday afternoon after a drenching and all the way back we came across water lying in the road in dips where the council had put the drains up hill from the low spot by about 20yrds or more.  In a couple of places had they put a couple of run off breaks in the roadside the water could have run away down the fields.  Most of the flooding spots could have been averted with a bit of common sense but have never come across Council road engineers with much of that over many years of dealing with such situations, often needing for someone to get killed before anyhting was done.   Add all of this flooding to the idiot drivers. I saw three in the ditch where the cars had obviously hit the water at speed and been thrown of the road as a result.

Is that legal? I would not be happy to have run off on my land. 

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

One of the problems with run off is that it contains a lot of road salt in winter. 

Exactly. I was watching a report on the news of the current flooding where the EA have made a decision to put flood water onto farm land. Four farms had been put out of action, potentially for upto a year and the farmers were talking about compensation. 

Whilst I can sympathise with anyone being affected by the floods, it grinds my gears to see those people on the news having a few cheap shots at Boris🙄  It rains a lot…..Blame the government!  It snows a lot………Blame the government! We get a heat wave……… Blame the government!    

oowee, the regulations on drainage state that you have to accept run off from neighbours above you.  I have ditches running down both sides of my ground and they run with water drained from five different land owners and also the public highway. I just make sure my ditches are kept clean and free running.    I had a slight misunderstanding with a land owner below me who suggested I was responsible for the water lying in her field.  I pointed out friendly like, that as she was a Chartered Surveyor, when she purchased the said property she should have noted that the previous owner/builder of the property had dug up and blocked all the drains when he put in the driveway. I kindly explained how she could get around this problem and now we are good neighbours.

If water isn't allowed to drain from roads, what are they to do?  Pump it away? 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

That has been national policy for the last 10 years. 

Identified Critical Drainage Areas are subject to even tighter controls. 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I drove back from Lincolnshire yesterday afternoon after a drenching and all the way back we came across water lying in the road in dips where the council had put the drains up hill from the low spot by about 20yrds or more.  In a couple of places had they put a couple of run off breaks in the roadside the water could have run away down the fields.  Most of the flooding spots could have been averted with a bit of common sense but have never come across Council road engineers with much of that over many years of dealing with such situations, 

I'm not honestly sure about this nev ,but I would guess that the drains aren't right at the bottom of a dip , so that sediment from the road doesn't settle in them and block them , it's probably better to have a small flood in the dip ,than to have a large one I suppose. 

On my route home from work , I drive through a couple of areas that regularly get flooded , one area that floods after every downpour ,is always littered with plastic belly pans from the cars that don't slow down. 

blocked with sediment ......  we used to see a crew with a tanker through our village two or three times a year sucking out all the drans. Have not seen one for years. Similarly when we moved here 30yrs ago if there was a chance of frost then a spinner wagone would drive through the village and spin salted gravel and also put some on the very steep hill leading out of the village. Now a lorry drives through the village and drops a heap at a couple of junctions in the hope I suppose that raffic will spread it for them. Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

blocked with sediment ......  we used to see a crew with a tanker through our village two or three times a year sucking out all the drans. Have not seen one for years. Similarly when we moved here 30yrs ago if there was a chance of frost then a spinner wagone would drive through the village and spin salted gravel and also put some on the very steep hill leading out of the village. Now a lorry drives through the village and drops a heap at a couple of junctions in the hope I suppose that raffic will spread it for them. Pathetic. 

The local authority that I work for used to run eleven gulley suckers , that got whittled down to one , over a period of about five years , I think that they're back up to three now , but that's still not great , especially when you consider that their is also many less road sweepers now that clean silt from gutters . I'm not totally sure about the gritters , but I think that they only grit major roads(mainly bus routes) these days , your local authority area could be completely different though nev .

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Always looking for ways to reduce their cost and involvement unless it's the enablement of the issue of parking fines that raises income, or the permissions granted to allow building on flood plains to increase council taxes.