Pheasant, pigeon , duck

I know subject of cartridges are something that come up time and time again but just intrested to see what people are using for the season on the aforementioned birds ? 

For me I use  a variety for different circumstance  and places I shoot 

Pheasants (all sxs) 

Clear pigeon 30g 6s 

Hull high pheasant 32g 5s 

Hull high pheasant extreme 32g 5 

All are  fantastic cartridge and do their job in the situations 

Pigeon 

For decoying 

Clear pigeon 30g 6 (auto + sxs) 

For roosting

Clear pigeon 32g 6 (auto + sxs)

Duck

For flight ponds (close mallard and teal )

Eley vip steel 32g 5s (auto)

For larger waters 

Gamebore bismuth 32g 4s (sxs)

Eley vip high performance 3inch 36g 3s (auto) 

Ferret 

Edited by Ferret664

for all your pigeon shooting you could / pheasants you would get away with using 30g of no 6 ( unless were talking high birds) 

ill probably get some stick for this , i used lyvale english sporter 28g 7 1/2s for almost all my pigeon shooting this year and would use them over most other cartridges by choice !

Pigeon select is a great cartridge and I have used many of them before and got on really well with them. I just find the clear pigeon pattern so very nicely in my side by side and I actually seem to find the 30g slightly better then the 32g ? Have taken a good few pheasant with both on the beaters day and guest days when I'm lucky enough to get invited but I must say I haven't seen anything take birds (pheasants)  as cleanly as the 32g 5s and I am very selective to what I take as my old fixed choke side by sideis very heavly choked . 

On 12/11/2019 at 18:14, raphael262 said:

Ill probably get some stick for this , i used lyvale english sporter 28g 7 1/2s for almost all my pigeon shooting this year and would use them over most other cartridges by choice !

Nope i use the cheapest 7 1/2 i can find. And thats from advice off here. English sporter used to be my cheapest but eley selects are now. 

Hi Folks 

For decoying pigeons I use the cheapest 28g 7.5 I can get. Recently that has been Trust, Prima & LA Joker which all do the job well.

I have recently bought some Trust super star game which are 30g No 6 ( so a UK 5.5 ) which I am going to use on pheasants.

If anyone has any experience of these heavier Trust shells please post your feedback.

Cheers

Hitman.

4 hours ago, the hitman said:

ive used the trust in a 32 5.5 on the pheasants at the end of the season as i was given some, i thought highly of them !

Hi Folks 

For decoying pigeons I use the cheapest 28g 7.5 I can get. Recently that has been Trust, Prima & LA Joker which all do the job well.

I have recently bought some Trust super star game which are 30g No 6 ( so a UK 5.5 ) which I am going to use on pheasants.

If anyone has any experience of these heavier Trust shells please post your feedback.

Cheers

Hitman.