1 For 1 Variation

Blacksheep

So, I have decided i'm not really getting along with my my Remington 783 Varmint  , it's an absoloute tack driver but very front heavy and quite unwieldy and i shoot in very rough country

So would like a shorter lighter rifle in the same calibre .223

I understand i need to do a 1 for 1 variation , But how does it work ? do i sell the rifle first and then apply ? 

Go on line with your Licensing Dept and print a variation form, fill this in and send it off with your FAC and details of what you want to do.....then WAIT  and WAIT and WAIT

Eventually you will get a new FAC back with the request listed.   I have just done this with my 22RF and wish to just simply swop the old one which I have handed to the RFD I am buying the new one from. I gave my (Leicestershire) licensing office the details of the new rifle and the name/details of the RFD where I am doing the deal.   You would think this was a fairly simple transaction but after waiting three weeks for a reply to my first e mail asking for advise with no reponse, the office informed me to do the above and I am still WAITING.

So my suggestion is you get the application off straight away AND call your local office and tell them the application is on the way and se what they say, as all these different force offices seem to have different methods.

10 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

I understand i need to do a 1 for 1 variation , But how does it work ? do i sell the rifle first and then apply ? 

In short, yes... 

You must be able to prove you have sold and no longer have the current 223. Then they will do the variation. I did this last year on my HMR. It took my force 13weeks to do it. I was less than impressed, it is something you could do in the shop, it's basically a trade in / part X 

Hope it's not a long wait for you 

I've always sold rifle then applied for a variation for what I needed. Only ever has taken 2 weeks to come back at the most. My licensing force preferred that way of doing it as it was easier for them. 

Or you could keep rifle, apply for a variation for an additional rifle, and if you can provide good reason, have the 2 rifles. Means you won't be without while waiting for variation to come through.