410 reloading questions

BG90

Hi all, me again.

I am rather confused, I am looking on http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun and trying to work out whats what.

step 1: 410
step 2: 3"  [does it matter what 3" cart i use? I was just going to use some spent eley 410 extralong that i have.]
step 3: lead [6,7,8 but not all at the same time]
step 4: 11/16oz [19.5 grams]
step 5: Hodgdon
step 6: H110
Primer: Fed.209A or Win. 209 [can i use a different one eg: cheddite CX50?]
Wad: Fed.410SC or WAA41 [if i cant get ether of them is there a way to know what else i can use?]
Grs: 14.9 or 15

I fully understand how dangerous reloading can be even more so when you don't listen/read the info, hence why I am asking the above three questions and also the ones below.

Wad length i want to use a fibre wad, does the length of the wad affect anything? eg: if i use a shorter fibre wad [5 mm to shorter] can i just cut the cart down by 5 mm instead of using overshot cards?

Do all 410 carts use the same size primer? how do I know what will and wont fit?

Any sites/forums that have good and reliable info for reloading that is relevant for us in the uk?

Sorry if any of my questions are daft but i have never looked at this side of shooting before a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

Edited by BG90

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I reload .410 with Hodgdon 110 with up to 21grm lead too which I put through the Birmingham proof house which I have to say that they are great people there. Anyway, I use Fiocchi hulls which are primed already but when reloading them (replacing the primers) I use cx2000 or cx50 they both seem to work fine 14.5 grains of H110 and with 7.5 lead in at 19.5 grms they break clays at the same range as a 12bore. Why shouldn't they? Its not the gun its what comes out of it and is a product of mass(weight) times velocity so if you fire a 7.5 lead pellet at the same speed out of the barrel as a 12 bore it will do the same job. So many people say its out of range for a .410 that is not correct, failure to break clays in a .410 is more likely down to bigger gaps in the pattern due to the reduced load of lead (compared to a 12 for instance )at a more distant range.

Guest cookoff013

Some new reloaders need to realise that shells work when the powder is pushed hard. This is evident with 410. Faster powders like 12gauge lite powders can perform when not pushed hard.