Duck guns

Lloyd90

On 09/10/2020 at 19:57, Big Al said:

I generally shoot a B525 at ducks, but it's taking a bit of a battering. Is 425 waterfowl a similar fit? Or the Winchester 5000 waterfowl.  I can't find any in northern Ireland to try but would take a punt on guntrader rfd  to RFD from the mainland UK. 

Big Al my Mate bought a 425 wildfowling gun couple years back I think it’s 3 1/2 inch chamber he also shoots a 525 not much difference according to him only he’s 425 built like a tank 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 09/10/2020 at 19:57, Big Al said:

I generally shoot a B525 at ducks, but it's taking a bit of a battering. Is 425 waterfowl a similar fit? Or the Winchester 5000 waterfowl.  I can't find any in northern Ireland to try but would take a punt on guntrader rfd  to RFD from the mainland UK. 

I have had a couple of these but the 101 waterfowl always seemed to handle better .prices seem to have come down lately real quality for under £500 if you can find one that’s not been worked too hard .

On 13/10/2020 at 20:49, nic said:

have a couple of 425 waterfowls.... built to last.  handled a 525 waterfowl and felt much lighter and build quality did not feel as good

Thanks guys. Decisions decisions. 

I'll try to get my hands on a non-waterfowl 101 to see. I do like the sound of the 425 though ...

7 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Al have you rung around the local dealers in the North 

Tannyoky have the non-waterfowl 101s. Apart from that, no. I'm waiting for a regrant too - submitted in August and still waiting...

8 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Al, great videos as usual.  Re the gun, I thought you had a semi auto last season and looked at a pump for this year?

cheers

I still have the semi auto, but it's a black Benelli and I'm looking for something to take onto the salt. 

As for the pump, the problem is the pump ...... or rather the idiot who is meant to pump!

17 hours ago, greylag said:

Used  a pump once,after the first shot forgot to pump,brain freeze.Never again.Using a AYA 3 inch may.at the moment,still a have my auto but it's lovely using the s/side.

My pump shot routine. "Gotta pump. Gotta pump. Gotta pump. Bang! What's wrong with this gun! Didn't pump."

In my younger care free days I thought I had hit the jackpot when I handed over a bundle of pound notes for what was going to bring me barrow loads of fowl and if this was going to happen it would very soon pay for itself after a few trips to my local game dealers , and what was this gun that dreams are made of ? , a Beretta 5 Shot Pump Action 12 g , well to cut the story short , the dreams turned into a nightmare , after the first few shots I had more blood on my nose than on most of the ducks I had shot , the ratterling and pulling the trigger when I should have been pumping soon had a very short relationship with my other guns , after a few weeks we went our different ways with no chance of a reunion ,  and for the last half century I have stuck with side by sides , like the ole motto says , if it aint broke then there is no need to mend it :lol:

On 15/10/2020 at 23:01, greylag said:

Used  a pump once,after the first shot forgot to pump,brain freeze.Never again.Using a AYA 3 inch may.at the moment,still a have my auto but it's lovely using the s/side.

😆I’ve been using my aya no3 magnum since season kicked of unfortunately the ducks haven’t read the script yet 👍👍👍

Greyleg it might be just me but the Aya magnum very comfortable gun sitting in the duck hide I don’t know if it’s The beaver tail fore end But just feels Right and as you said mine none ejector so I take a small sandwich bag always with me put empty’s in for taking home 👍

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Big Al cerakote your Benelli or just oil the barrel and put a drop of oil at every point the rib joins the barrel. Should stop rusting with salt water. 

The 425 had chopper lump barrels so more rugged than the later barrels.

😉 Top tip Figgy!

I like the cerakote idea.

Cerakote is what the Winchester SX3 grey shadow was coated in from the factory, very good hard-wearing and praised for it's good saltwater protection.  Lots of colours to choose to suit your shooting location, desert sand earth olive green browns grey's and black. A nice dark grey would be my choice with a black synthetic stock.

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Cerakote is what the Winchester SX3 grey shadow was coated in from the factory, very good hard-wearing and praised for it's good saltwater protection.  Lots of colours to choose to suit your shooting location, desert sand earth olive green browns grey's and black. A nice dark grey would be my choice with a black synthetic stock.

Sounds sexy. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Manish said:

Not too sure if this is the thread for this but whats the score with steel in the AYA 10 bore??

Bang it through and don't worry about it They were built like tanks. I put bbb  steel through my zabala and that's still full n full. The previous owner did the same too and the gun shows no scars whatsoever