Sellier & Bellot .410 Bolt Action Moderated Shotgun

Tin Man Work

My pal picked up a Sellier & Bellot .410 bolt action moderated shotgun at the Midland show a couple of years ago, nice piece with a synthetic stock, and he's using it for squirrels which it's perfect for - yes single shot but a lot shorter than the Mossberg moderated .410 500E pump I have so I have been looking for one for myself.

I cannot find hide nor hair for these shotguns - loads of Sellier and Bellot cartridges and bullets, but nothing these guns at all.

Does anyone have any information on stockists etc?

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-12 at 19.51.01.jpeg

The barrel on these is only 15” long and has no choke, but as the moderator can’t be removed they are still section 2.  The effective range on squirrels is only about 20 yards. They are handy tools a close range though. I’ve had three hushpower/moderated .410’s, two of them had no choke and although they seem to kill rabbits, they’ve lacked the pattern/hitting power to stop squirrels effectively at any distance. I now use a 20 gauge hushpower which is in a different performance league, and not much louder than the .410’s depending on cartridges.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

The barrel on these is only 15” long and has no choke, but as the moderator can’t be removed they are still section 2.  The effective range on squirrels is only about 20 yards. They are handy tools a close range though. I’ve had three hushpower/moderated .410’s, two of them had no choke and although they seem to kill rabbits, they’ve lacked the pattern/hitting power to stop squirrels effectively at any distance. I now use a 20 gauge hushpower which is in a different performance league, and not much louder than the .410’s depending on cartridges.

Same here had hushpower 410 in the past. Although a good tool my o/u 20 g hushpower offers such a wide range scenarios I can we it in. The little 410 was quite limited

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

they look quite nice..:good:...do they do a 3 shot one ?

No. There is a blanking plate underneath that looks like it could take a magazine, but it can't, theres no cut out under the chamber.

12 hours ago, Tin Man Work said:

Mate you have nailed it - thank you, tracking one down now.

Top man!

There not that expensive new. I looked for a while for a used one and in the end bought one new.

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

No choke! Unbelievably quiet though! I believe they were designed for solid slugs? I think the only thing that lets it down is the choke/range. 

Edit- my trigger pull was very hard, but i adjusted it and it is ok now.

4 hours ago, Scully said:

That looks a fabulous little gun. 👍

It is. It is super quiet. My friends cant believe how quiet it is. They think it has misfired when they try it and with the fully moderated barrel, looks like an elephant gun!

Edited by silver pigeon69

I bought the Bretton a few years ago when they first came out, mainly to be used when lamping as I was the driver, I found it a bit tricky to reload at speed especially when your hands were cold, the cartridges needed to be guided into the breech before the bolt would close. Found that after about a dozen shots it would not extract the used cartridge, jammed in tight (Reccuring problem). Took it back to the gun shop and they offered me a full refund, so I took it and bought a second hand pedretti hushpower. It was really quiet even when using magnums, may have been one off, shot plenty of rabbits with it though.