Joining the PCP brigade..?

wildfowler.250

So I’ve got currently a HW 77k,(had for around 15 years) a .17hmr and a .22lr. The airgun gets occasional use,(mainly branchers but I could do more with it) and the HMR is my go to rabbit gun. I used to use the .22lr for sitting off warrens ect but I think I can easily overlap it’s use with a decent pcp and cover more options.

Can anyone recommend a decent airgun? I basically want something that good/upper end without going into daystate territory. Maybe a HW100 or similar equivalent? 

Do most people just fill up at a gun shop when done? Or use a pump? A divers bottle would be another few hundred quid for occasional use?

Is there much in field difference between .177 and .22? 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

air arms s410/510 good all round,accurate good quality,ive just bought a bsa ultra se dead chuffed lightweight and accurate,theres so many to choose from ,unless you feel like a workout I would suggest a bottle but maybe have a pump just in case,buddy bottle rifle have higher shot count too.bottom line try a few if you can.

jb

Very difficult question to answer as there are so many choices.  I use an airgun probably 50% of my shooting time but that often includes sitting in a hide for hours on end, but they are useful where safety is high on the agenda, around cattle yards for instance.  I have a Mk 2 AA S200 and purchased it second hand and it is a marvelous little rifle and very accurate but your circumstances may require something different.   When you say shooting up in trees, don't forget that things which go up must come down and getting smacked behind the ear even 80yrds down range from a standard 12ftlber is going to wake that person up sharply.

I now have a bottle as well as a pump and all I can say is there must be a lot of weaklings about if they can't pump a rifle up to around 180.  I'm 79yrs young and can get it done without a problem.  The bottle is much quicker and easier till it goes flat, which a pump never does so having the two is a safety feature.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

So I’ve got currently a HW 77k,(had for around 15 years) a .17hmr and a .22lr. The airgun gets occasional use,(mainly branchers but I could do more with it) and the HMR is my go to rabbit gun. I used to use the .22lr for sitting off warrens ect but I think I can easily overlap it’s use with a decent pcp and cover more options.

Can anyone recommend a decent airgun? I basically want something that good/upper end without going into daystate territory. Maybe a HW100 or similar equivalent? 

Do most people just fill up at a gun shop when done? Or use a pump? A divers bottle would be another few hundred quid for occasional use?

Is there much in field difference between .177 and .22? 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

We gave up with .22lr and never used it again after we got AA 510 EXTRA FAC.22 did everything the .22lr did only difference was no ricochetes  and rifle was even quieter ,buy a bottle as well,sell the .22lr and the hw77k.

Some great advice above .

Bsa ultra /air arms s200 .

Bsa scorpion /air arms s410 /510 

Get a pump for £120 ish and a tin of pellets  and a scope on top and you wont ever run out of air .the above guns will give 50 - 80 shots depending on cal .

Thats loads for any situation .

And will be very accurate and reliable and british made.

Oh and if your going for rabbits =.177 Or tree shots = .177  or rats =.177  But  for pigeons = .22 

Imo.

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Some great advice above .

Bsa ultra /air arms s200 .

Bsa scorpion /air arms s410 /510 

Get a pump for £120 ish and a tin of pellets  and a scope on top and you wont ever run out of air .the above guns will give 50 - 80 shots depending on cal .

Thats loads for any situation .

And will be very accurate and reliable and british made.

Oh and if your going for rabbits =.177 Or tree shots = .177  or rats =.177  But  for pigeons = .22 

Imo.

+1 for S200 & get mag conversion, fast & reliable,& a spare mag in waiscoat pocket.

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers guys and thanks for the all the comments and suggestions. 

Happy to look into the second hand market. 

No problems with BSA or Air Arms. Surprised no one is suggesting Weihrauch or any other makes though? Not worth it?

I believe Weihrauch have had some quality issues but its probably just the guys who've replied shoot what they've recommendedd @Longbower shoots a 100 or 110 not sure which.

The new FX Dreamline series could be ideal for you.  They come as a light a bullpup a classic or tactical. You can swap barrels for different calibers. 

No idea of you budget, the basic above can be had under a 1k

Wildfowler the 510 has sidelever and to me is much nicer and easier to use.

Where in the country are you, someone on here might have a suitable gun for sale.

Edited by figgy

not sure of access to all makes back in the UK, I run of PCP's here in Canada.

Crossman Benjamin Marauders in .177" .22" & .25"   all good and accurate guns ranging from 28  UP TO 52 FPE  

very reasonably priced guns with accuracy, tune-able 

Air Arms S510 xtra FAC .177"  backyard friendly in low power 500 FPS and potent  at high power 1040 FPS 

start paying more and worth it

Day State Wolverine 2 in .25"  set @ 70 FPE  Heavy Hitter 

top priced but well worth quality

walther lothar barrels are excellent on the AA & DS   

good glass on the rifle and you have a great combo, i use Hawke mostly.

vermin comfortably taken up to 100 yds with the high power, further with the DayState .25" 

been a while since posting here, nice to see Teal doing well still.

TLE 

11 hours ago, Mr.C said:

S200's are great but I find them very small, I would advise an previously enjoyed AA S410.

But then I'm an AA fan boy.

Now I see the AA S200 from the other direction and that is because it is small and very easy to handle in small spaces  eg out of the Landie window or in the confines of a blind. Mine has the square flat fore end and most of my blinds have a small shelf / table across the shoot window and the rifle just sits there waiting, already pointing to where a tree rat or magpie might appear so reducing any movement which may alert the target.

21 hours ago, Mice! said:

If you get the chance could you start another thread telling us what you use your air rifles for in Canada,  certainly be interesting. 

Cheers

Not too sure it would be that exciting Mice.  short version is i left Bristol in 93 to start fresh in Canada, shotgun and airguns left behind.

started clay shooting in 99 and became competitive in 2000, shot up to master class and qualified instructor and enjoy that more than comps now.

airguns here started with an old favorite HW80 I tuned to 830/840 FPS with Exact  18 grn Jumbo heavy .22" great pellet in all my guns for power and consistency.  started into PCP two years back as an interested Engineer and wanting to pull apart and play, started with the Marauder then Daystate then AA , i fiddle and play, set up and take down, swap glass and put it back again, but  pellet choice is constant in all cal's.

i shoot vermin mainly in the back yard or out on the farms, Gophers cause all amounts of problems with livestock feet breaking in the holes, and as you guys i'm sure, i hate Crows and Maggies in my yard, a black and white free zone for the betterment of other birds and young.

still shoot a lot of shotgun, handgun and rifle .338" lapua LR,  down to .177", its all fun.

the Engineering gets me all the time though, and my shop gives me ample playtime for modifications

https://www.apollomachine.com/machining-services/machining/

hence the name.

TLE

5 hours ago, the last engineer said:

started into PCP two years back as an interested Engineer and wanting to pull apart and play, started with the Marauder then Daystate then AA , i fiddle and play, set up and take down, swap glass and put it back again, but  pellet choice is constant in all cal's.

That certainly qualifies as interesting,  and funnily enough I'm a cnc Turner,  small world.