Soggy engine

Bumble

So, like a ****, I went into some water a little too deep in my Shogun (2003 2.5 TDI) on the way home in a flooded lane and she conked out... However, the electrics were absolutely fine and once I’d pushed her out and gave her a minute, she fired up again after some persuasion with rolling it forward on the clutch/starter, belted out a load of white smoke.

I sat it for 10 mins ticking over & until the smoke stopped (only a couple of minutes for that), then she ran absolutely fine for the remaining 10 miles home. I’ve checked the oil & there’s no sign of water in it. 
However, is there anything in need to be doing now? Garage job or just keep an eye on it? 

6 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Diesels are pretty good where water is concerned as said check air filter if it’s wet or damp treat it to a new one , if it’s running then no water in fuel , electrics normally pretty basic on diesels give them a blast with wd40 or similar 

Nice one, cheers. I pooed myself when I did it (my own stupid fault), as I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and just had the cam belt, pulleys, water pump & a few other bits done on it to get it sorted out. 
I was planning on giving it an oil change anyway next week, so will chuck a new air filter on it too whilst I’m at it. 

33 minutes ago, Bumble said:

Just opened it up and the casing is bone-dry inside and the filter feels ok to the touch. Is there anything else to look for?

I expected it to be wet through after you saying it was emitting white smoke from the exhaust (steam) - as said above sounds like you’ve got away with it by the skin of your teeth. 

26 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

I expected it to be wet through after you saying it was emitting white smoke from the exhaust (steam) - as said above sounds like you’ve got away with it by the skin of your teeth. 

I think I’ve been a very lucky chap! Looks like it’ll need a snorkel chucking on it at some point to avoid it happening again (or sending the missus out to check water depths first 🤣

12 minutes ago, Dougy said:

The thing that got me one time was the current, something i didn't account for and that was only 2 feet of water. 

Same here! I remember crossing a ford some time in the late 70’s in my (Mk1) Range Rover. It was only about 18 inches deep but took the vehicle sideways about ten feet in a thirty ish foot crossing.

If you intend wading then a snorkel is a starter for ten but I also think you have to look at breathing pipes for the diffs and gearbox? 

Any water going into the engine is likely to break it. Water cannot be compressed. 

I had a mate some years back with an XR2 that hit a puddle which sucked water into the air intake and it blew the engine apart. He had to argue with his insurer but got paid out as an accident.

I popped a new air filter in there yesterday and had a good look at the old one, and couldn’t find any moisture. What I think happened was it went up the exhaust (which is a lot lower than I thought it was...) and choked the engine out that way. 
The truck is in for new (non-screeching) belts on Tuesday anyway, so I’ll get them to do a quick oil change and check the diffs out too. 

On 17/11/2019 at 07:36, mossy835 said:

i would go 5 miles round then go though water.

You would have to go a lot farther than that if you went Welney way & decided to go the long way round. As I understand it approx 30 miles & I was also told years ago there was a guy that would ferry people through the flood water by boat.

Dan.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:08, Penelope said:

I bet the Lamb & Flag was a welcome sight!! Lucky it didn't float off the Salter's Lode and through Denver.

I think that is where he started off from wasn't it ? As it looks like he emerges at the new Bedford river side.

Dan.

On 14/11/2019 at 19:14, Bumble said:

I think I’ve been a very lucky chap! Looks like it’ll need a snorkel chucking on it at some point to avoid it happening again (or sending the missus out to check water depths first 🤣

A snorkel would not have helped as your air filter was dry, it would be you letting of the throttle and sucking water up the exhaust hence the white smoke, you was indeed lucky as it normally locks the engine solid leading to vent com rods.

On 29/11/2019 at 10:11, Neilsmith said:

A snorkel would not have helped as your air filter was dry, it would be you letting of the throttle and sucking water up the exhaust hence the white smoke, you was indeed lucky as it normally locks the engine solid leading to vent com rods.

Indeed, it was a very close shave!  When the garage replaced the diff & transmission oils, they they were a little bit watery...