Broadband suppliers

paul1966

I am currently with BT and my contract is coming to an end, they want an extra £3 a month to keep the same service i have now. i currently pay about £53 a month thats for unlimited fibre plus unlimited landline calls, looking at plusnet they do simillar for £35 for 18 months contract. any one on plusnet or have any other recommendations?

Plusnet are owned by BT but run as a separate company. They even use BT re-branded routers.

You can also use John Lewis, which is owned by Plusnet (ta da!) and also use a BT style router.

Like you - I'm rural and those are my only 3 choices. I'm currently with John Lewis.

As the freebie router is a bit rubbish and not dual band and the fact they they all use BT routers, I got a BT HH6 Business version for £20 off eBay (£100 new) and it's so much better.

Ultimately, your BB will come down BT copper cable and you just pay someone different, although technically, they are all BT.

Simples.

Wait until Black Friday (29th Nov) in previous years BT have done some cracking deals.   

1) The 'challenging' Indian call centres are closing and everything will be back in the UK by end of January 2020

2) As you are in a rural location (so no chance of Virgin Fibre for example) BT will always own the copper cable to your property if use another supplier and something goes wrong you can absolutely guarantee the provider will blame anything they don't own i.e. BT's bits.

Edited by Cosmicblue

1 minute ago, Cosmicblue said:

Wait until Black Friday (29th Nov) in previous years BT have done some cracking deals.   I do Cloud/Internet/IT stuff for a living and can truthfully say that BT is the best of a not brilliant bunch:

1) The 'challenging' Indian call centres are closing and everything will be back in the UK by end of January 2020

2) As you are in a rural location (so no chance of Virgin Fibre for example) BT will always own the copper cable to your property if use another supplier and something goes wrong you can absolutely guarantee the provider will blame anything they don't own i.e. BT's bits.

trouble is a lot of the good deals are for new customers not existing.

1 minute ago, Cosmicblue said:

Nope - I think I got mine down from £58.99 to £44.50 last Black Friday - I've been with BT at this property for the last 19 years.   Have Virgin fibre at another place (because BT's bandwidth is feeble there), Virgin customer service is non-existent.

in that case i'll wait and see what deals they do.

The biggest problem you face is that unless you know how to work it out, BT are the only ones that know how much you use and won't tell you.

As above plusnet is a no frills BT which also throttle your BB at busy times, BT stand firm that they don't.

Virgin is the best but their top service is only in cities/large towns.

The rest are all about the same.

I would respectfully suggest you Google 'how to monitor your bandwith usage' then in a weeks time will know what you use-ish and will then have the upper hand and with a carefully planned conversation get BT to drop the increase.

Black Friday may also pop up some deals

Earlier this year when my contract with BT was due for renewal I spoke with BT and asked what was the best they could as I was considering moving elsewhere After a bit of bargaining I got £12.50 knocked off the price.

Our BT deal is unlimited calls and broadband plus other extras using fibre to the cabinet. Our broadband speed is 73 whatsits. We currently pay about £53/month depending on overseas calls.

Vic.

NowTv broadband is cheap - fibre unlimited, Line rental, unlimited calls - £24 per month - use Quidco and you can get cash back 

I will say that we are having issues with speed dropping to almost old dial up rates and I am finding their tech support - although Irish based - is totally ineffectual. They spout a load of BS at somebody who is ex telecoms and has worked in IT for 20 years - and after I have I have stopped them to qualify my knowledge with them. 
I spent 1hr20 on the phone yesterday evening and got no where - eventually hanging up after the second round of BS

NOW Broadband £25pm which gives me line rental, any time calls and 36mbs fibre broadband, you could pay £30 pm if you want 65mbs broadband. NOW are owned or part of the SKY group of companies so they do not share the network with BT and the likes. Down our way they are the best to go with for reliability and speed.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

We are with BT fibre, 148-9 mbps download and 20+ mbps upload. Not cheep but fast!

Question if I may , after you have had it a while , does it still feel fast . I was wondering if it was like when you buy a new large TV   or a new faster computer , do they only seem big for so long , and do you get used to the faster  computer and it does not seem so fast.