Broadband suppliers

paul1966

16 hours ago, hedge said:

Ultimately, your BB will come down BT copper cable

Not all are copper, some are aluminium alloy due to the copper shortage way back when.

I had NowTV installed just last week, even had a new drop wire installed from the telegraph pole as we were not connected, no charge.  I got the £25 deal for BB and calls.  Tested the speed at over 100Mb up and 20Mb down.  The router only has 2 ports so need to add a switch to get all my hardwired points operational, Wi-Fi seems fine, but prefer a hard connection for gaming and streaming.

I was with Virgin, previously NTL, previously Comcast, so been on cable for 25+ years.  They upped my bill from £48 to £62, just like that, no benefit or anything.  I just phoned them up and cancelled I was that cheesed off.  Not regretting it yet, but you never can tell,

RS

42 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Not all are copper, some are aluminium alloy due to the copper shortage way back when.

I had NowTV installed just last week, even had a new drop wire installed from the telegraph pole as we were not connected, no charge.  I got the £25 deal for BB and calls.  Tested the speed at over 100Mb up and 20Mb down.  The router only has 2 ports so need to add a switch to get all my hardwired points operational, Wi-Fi seems fine, but prefer a hard connection for gaming and streaming.

I was with Virgin, previously NTL, previously Comcast, so been on cable for 25+ years.  They upped my bill from £48 to £62, just like that, no benefit or anything.  I just phoned them up and cancelled I was that cheesed off.  Not regretting it yet, but you never can tell,

RS

Wait until you have a problem like us - you will get the following

"Well you have 15 devices connected to the router, and you are getting 35Mb - so that is 35/15 so each device will only get 2.33Mb - regardless of if it is accessing the internet or not!!! so when you are not using a device turn of the wifi or unplug the network cable"

Their Technical support is **** and apparently they only have first line 😞

I am just steeling myself to call them again about exercising my rights to cancel (30 days and they can't resolve it). I don't mind there being problems - everything will have problems - but it is their inability to deal with it - just reciting a mantra. I feel sorry for the people that don't know better and get that thrown at them

I guess the one advantage  (there has to be one) of living in ****sville, sorry Bristol, is that I can have cable and not be reliant on a crusty 30+ year old piece of copper/ally alloy dangling off a pole sold as 'fibre'.

Virgin is expensive, but thus far the uptime has been excellent.  I've never had to call tech support, in the same way as I haven't had to call Western Power or Wessex Water, it's a utility coming into the house, and a even a vaguely competent person can check for a healthy supply. 

Any problems 'downstream' are your own problem.  If you are expecting an el-cheapo router given to you by the ISP to provide seamless Wifi coverage through your old masonry-built house, then I'm afraid you're at best naive.

Plusnet used to be good years ago, but I found when BT took over they went really down hill. Speeds declined, customer service was useless.

Now with Zen internet, and they're good. They do use BT copper, but they are competent and the customer service is good. Prices not too bad, think I pay £35 per month for phoneline and fibre to the cabinet. (So fast fibre connection to the street cabinet, then slow copper from cabinet to house). We get about 12Mb downstream, but we do live the middle of nowhere.

20 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Plusnet used to be good years ago, but I found when BT took over they went really down hill. Speeds declined, customer service was useless.

Now with Zen internet, and they're good. They do use BT copper, but they are competent and the customer service is good. Prices not too bad, think I pay £35 per month for phoneline and fibre to the cabinet. (So fast fibre connection to the street cabinet, then slow copper from cabinet to house). We get about 12Mb downstream, but we do live the middle of nowhere.

So how far would you say you are from the cabinet,  we have one in our village , but I am two miles out , they say I am to far away .

I'm with Virgin and get around 410mbs its advertised as 500 but I've never got it that fast, The problem I have with Virgin is their customer service, it sucks in all honesty. Online all you deal with is a talk Bot which is about as much use as a one legged man in an **** kicking contest. And if you are prepared to wait on hold indefinitely on the phone you may get transferred to completely the wrong department and when they finally put you through to someone who may be able to help, the line goes dead and your back to square one ringing the options.

The only thing that keeps me with Virgin is the internet speed, its seriously fast. 

The Tivo V6 box is pretty useless, freezes a lot, records stuff you don't want it to. And as for the remote, when the batteries are running low, all sorts of **** starts happening.

Edited by fatchap

21 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I'm with Virgin and get around 410mbs its advertised as 500 but I've never got it that fast, The problem I have with Virgin is their customer service, it sucks in all honesty. Online all you deal with is a talk Bot which is about as much use as a one legged man in an **** kicking contest. And if you are prepared to wait on hold indefinitely on the phone you may get transferred to completely the wrong department and when they finally put you through to someone who may be able to help, the line goes dead and your back to square one ringing the options.

The only thing that keeps me with Virgin is the internet speed, its seriously fast. 

The Tivo V6 box is pretty useless, freezes a lot, records stuff you don't want it to. And as for the remote, when the batteries are running low, all sorts of **** starts happening.

We get around that by using the online chat facility, you are still engaging with a foreign call centre but they type in English and you can have a record of your "conversation".

Last time I questioned a bill it took 4 hours, but I got a full refund.

46 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

So how far would you say you are from the cabinet,  we have one in our village , but I am two miles out , they say I am to far away .

I’m 1.1km away from the nearest cabinet according to the Openreach engineers who have recently provided a line to our place.

Getting 22mb download and 5 upload with Plusnet