High fibre food

Davyo

1 hour ago, figgy said:

You going hare coursing with a long dog Davy?

Mates dad use to add soaked brown bread to his lurchers food.

Figgy my son rescued him of a smack head.We were out for a drive & this Guy was lacing into this puppy so Josh put him on the bottom while I bundled the dog in the car.We called the Police and they were happy for us to take the dog.The guy tried to get Josh arrested for assault but the officers agreed he must have just fell over.The dog was in very poor health and covered in fleas & sores.He's recovered really well considering the beating he'd taken.We took him straight to the vets and had him treated. Max is looking healthy now and he has had his vacinations and chipped.He' s one happy dog now who just wants to be loved.I swore I'd never have another dog after I lost my faithful  Spanial,Aspen 20 years ago.I called him Max (Vestapen) because he just runs around crashing into things.Loves the beach and the dog Cafe at Roker where he gets spoilt every morning.

Took him to get a new coat this week lolooks a bit big but he will grow into it.

20191102_155835.jpg

1015201904918.jpg

Edited by Davyo

8 hours ago, Davyo said:

Figgy my son rescued him of a smack head.We were out for a drive & this Guy was lacing into this puppy so Josh put him on the bottom while I bundled the dog in the car.We called the Police and they were happy for us to take the dog.The guy tried to get Josh arrested for assault but the officers agreed he must have just fell over.The dog was in very poor health and covered in fleas & sores.He's recovered really well considering the beating he'd taken.We took him straight to the vets and had him treated. Max is looking healthy now and he has had his vacinations and chipped.He' s one happy dog now who just wants to be loved.I swore I'd never have another dog after I lost my faithful  Spanial,Aspen 20 years ago.I called him Max (Vestapen) because he just runs around crashing into things.Loves the beach and the dog Cafe at Roker where he gets spoilt every morning.

Took him to get a new coat this week lolooks a bit big but he will grow into it.

Fantastic story, I love the reason for the name 😁

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Lovely story, good on you and your lad.

Back on topic though, why do you need a high fibre food?

He had a stinky (fishy smell) bum last week but only the once.Googled it and read that it may be the anal glands.Max's stools are usually on the soft side so I think I need to change his feed.I read that to help his glands work better is for a dog to have firm stools.

I've had him to the vet today just to be on the safe side.She milked them and very little if anything came out.She was confident there was no infection.She also showed me how to locate and milk them if he starts to smell again.She confirmed that a high fibre food would help However Ive had him on Bakers  small dog,and just moved him onto Bakers Adult because he's growing so fast.Both are 3% fibre,Vet says just to add like green beans,sweet potatoes or pumpkin.I want to get him on a good all rounder feed if there is such a thing.

3 minutes ago, Davyo said:

He had a stinky (fishy smell) bum last week but only the once.Googled it and read that it may be the anal glands.Max's stools are usually on the soft side so I think I need to change his feed.I read that to help his glands work better is for a dog to have firm stools.

I've had him to the vet today just to be on the safe side.She milked them and very little if anything came out.She was confident there was no infection.She also showed me how to locate and milk them if he starts to smell again.She confirmed that a high fibre food would help However Ive had him on Bakers  small dog,and just moved him onto Bakers Adult because he's growing so fast.Both are 3% fibre,Vet says just to add like green beans,sweet potatoes or pumpkin.I want to get him on a good all rounder feed if there is such a thing.

Give him a raw chicken wing / drumstick now and then the bone will make his poop very firm - careful not to give too much though and monitor the poop.

I think slippery elm bark powder is also very good to add for this, just add a small half teaspoon to each meal, you can get a pot of it cheap enough off amazon.

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Give him a raw chicken wing / drumstick now and then the bone will make his poop very firm - careful not to give too much though and monitor the poop.

I think slippery elm bark powder is also very good to add for this, just add a small half teaspoon to each meal, you can get a pot of it cheap enough off amazon.

Thanks, I've picked up a bone at the butchers today and he's munched on that this afternoon.I will pick up some wings/drumsticks tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Davyo said:

Thanks, I've picked up a bone at the butchers today and he's munched on that this afternoon.I will pick up some wings/drumsticks tomorrow.

Be careful with what bones you give, I gave mine big beef bones from the butcher and I think the meat / richness upset his stomach as he was very loose afterwards.

Duck, turkey or chicken wings or drumsticks are good as not too rich. I avoid pork with mine as again upsets his stomach.

I feed mine on a raw based diet with some terrier biscuit mixed in recently as he was rubbish on kibble and too loose.

• 2 weeks later...

With the greatest respect - I would not feed my Dogs that garbage if it was the only food available. Try Naturo or Forthglade (Akela if you buy in bulk from the importer is about as good as you can get) or a decent complete dry food from a reputable outlet. You can make your own if you have the time - Turkey Mince, Brown Rice, .Tomato Juice and mixed frozen veg (no onions) with a bit of pasta

Edited by bruno22rf