Tree trunk discs

hodge911

10 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Just wondering if anyone has lying around any tree trunk discs say 20cm / 30cm round suitable to make clocks with .

Just an idea I'm playing with

Have a look for tree surgeons in your area,sure there will be someone who can help.

Can find you a few. BUT, you must realise that once cut to say 1 1/2 inch thickness there is little doubt they will crack.

I have a 15 inch yew log lying in the yard which has been there two years. I have cut a few slabs off but your welcome to have a slab or two if you can collect. Also have some oak, ash as well but a bit smaller...12 inch ish.

the way to stop it splitting is to coat it with pva glue but leave a few small holes about 1/4 inch to allow the air to dry the wood out 

also and strap the outside using very large hose clips and keep tightening them as it drys out and it still may split will still a few years i did a clock a few years age but made a feature of the splits  // cracks 

hope this helps 

So then would it be more sensible to get pre-cut discs from planking.

Any info on what type of wood is best would be good .

My idea is to use a battery mechanism and use .243 case ends for the 12   3   6  and 9 and .22 lr case for the other numbers 

2 hours ago, hodge911 said:

So then would it be more sensible to get pre-cut discs from planking.

Any info on what type of wood is best would be good .

My idea is to use a battery mechanism and use .243 case ends for the 12   3   6  and 9 and .22 lr case for the other numbers 

What about old chopping boards, or even new from b+m or some such store. Tough as ****, dry and can get any thickness with a bit of shopping around. Also cheap. Ive one here made of bamboo, lovely grain and when she decides its going, instead of it going into my fishing bag it'll be made into something else. 

Ive made a few novelty clocks before, if you're buying the mechanisms from the bay, its worth remembering that the hand 'stem' isnt that long and a lot of mortising will be required in the rear. Then once thats done you'll probably find the hands are not straight and you'll spend hours making them look right or they rub each other and stop every hour. Ive used £3 ones and ill be honest, the only time they are out is when the battery dies. Bargains. 

So after all that, and a bit of oil or varnish it'll all be worth it 👍

46 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

no rush he'll have time on his hands !   

i'll get my coat .

lock the door 🚪🔒😂

Edited by strimmer_13

On 15/11/2019 at 21:33, Walker570 said:

Can find you a few. BUT, you must realise that once cut to say 1 1/2 inch thickness there is little doubt they will crack.

I have a 15 inch yew log lying in the yard which has been there two years. I have cut a few slabs off but your welcome to have a slab or two if you can collect. Also have some oak, ash as well but a bit smaller...12 inch ish.

Whereabouts are you mate ?

Unfortunately I can't drive at the moment (see my post in off topic "well peed off") but depending on your location I may be able to get a mate to collect for me 

On 17/11/2019 at 14:56, Walker570 said:

I'm a long way away but if someone is travelling the M42/A42/M1 route then I am just 10 minutes off at the junction A444/M42/A42. 

DAMN TOO far {as my luck always goes} 

if there is anyone closer to me got some let me know please 

On 19/11/2019 at 13:42, hodge911 said:

DAMN TOO far {as my luck always goes} 

if there is anyone closer to me got some let me know please 

Where in Newcastle are you hodge I might be able to sort you out I've got about 8 ton of logs and some discs,in my back garden, 

hi mate thanks for taking time to reply .

I,m in Swalwell  [ metro centre ] .

I am going bloody stir crazy not been able to drive until I get the all clear from the hospital.

even going to miss this season driving the game cart on the shoot that iv,e been on for the last 18 years 😭😭.

10 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

pm sent 

Got to take  my chainsaw  back to still again, to get fixed, tomorrow  on my way to farm hopefully pick up on my way back,let me know what sizes your after and I'll have a look, or I can cut the size for you, 

1 hour ago, ladyjack said:

Got to take  my chainsaw  back to still again, to get fixed, tomorrow  on my way to farm hopefully pick up on my way back,let me know what sizes your after and I'll have a look, or I can cut the size for you, 

about 1" thick and about 12" round or near to ………….. idea of making a couple of clocks to see how they go … [no tick tock comments ]

14 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

about 1" thick and about 12" round or near to ………….. idea of making a couple of clocks to see how they go … [no tick tock comments ]

Ok I'll check 2morrow morning 

Hi  hodge,I've  been trying to look back at my messages, but can only go back so far, I think we were going to go shooting together a few years ago, when my l200 was off the road, unfortunately I had an operation that left me unable to walk for 1 year, and unable to get a out for a further 2 years, this would have been about 2015, I think, hopefully everything works out for you with liscence, and  you are back on the road soon, all the best Dave 

Edited by ladyjack

11 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Ok I'll check 2morrow morning 

Hi  hodge,I've  been trying to look back at my messages, but can only go back so far, I think we were going to go shooting together a few years ago, when my l200 was off the road, unfortunately I had an operation that left me unable to walk for 1 year, and unable to get a out for a further 2 years, this would have been about 2015, I think, hopefully everything works out for you with liscence, and  you are back on the road soon, all the best da e

yeah mate

I cant remember the exact details bud but something on those lines  . its a proper pain in the but not been able to jump in car & go out …

……. funny how the coin flips ….. lads that I have taken out and can drive haven't been in touch to see if I want a look out  now that I cant 

Edited by hodge911

1 minute ago, hodge911 said:

yeah mate

I cant remember the exact details bud but something on those lines  . its a proper pain in the but not been able to jump in car & go out …

……. funny how the coin flips ….. lads that I have taken out and can drive haven't been in touch to see if I want a look out  now that I cant 

Give me an hour and I'll message you when I get in house  mate

6 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Yeah hodge been there  done it, taken people out and never  returned the favour, also went behind my back and tried to get on farm,tends to leave you wondering if its worth it, even though it's a bit  of a drag  by yourself, 

Yep ... took a so called "mate" out on my permission 3 times then I had an accident and had to have an operation on my shoulder which meant I couldn't drive or shoot for 6 weeks . I rang him to see if he fancied going out & I'd lamp for him but always got the answer "can't just now m8 got a lot on ".

Fast forward 6 weeks I drove to the farm to apologize for not being up as I couldn't drive . Farmers reply was "oh I thought you had as I've seen the lamp on the fields a few times.

Couple of weeks later my "mate" called in with his young son who during the chat dropped into the conversation "hodge there's loads of rabbits on your farm me & dad have shot loads lately"

Needless to say he's now an ex mate ....

6 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Yep ... took a so called "mate" out on my permission 3 times then I had an accident and had to have an operation on my shoulder which meant I couldn't drive or shoot for 6 weeks . I rang him to see if he fancied going out & I'd lamp for him but always got the answer "can't just now m8 got a lot on ".

Fast forward 6 weeks I drove to the farm to apologize for not being up as I couldn't drive . Farmers reply was "oh I thought you had as I've seen the lamp on the fields a few times.

Couple of weeks later my "mate" called in with his young son who during the chat dropped into the conversation "hodge there's loads of rabbits on your farm me & dad have shot loads lately"

Needless to say he's now an ex mate ....

Well I would not go behind your back,you can come up to the farm with me if you want,and see how things go,( see if we get on) there is no rabbits where I  shoot  but plenty of birds I've  never actually set up to shoot crows/pidgeon, as farmer asked me to try and clear sheds first ferail pigeons, air rifle in sheds shotgun around the yard both farms are about 1 hour from my house, just picked up a rifle from Weldon guns,so going up 2morrow (weather permitting)if you fancy a look your welcome ,bring a shotgun you will probably get a few shots around yard, cheers dave ps  had to leave chainsaw in  shop again for the 6th time,so your discs will take a little bit longer

Edited by ladyjack