Morning at the Beach

Clodhopper

This week my wife and I have been looking after a friends dog whilst they are away. This dog lives in the city and although well exercised does not often get the chance to get his feet wet.

This mornings tide peaked just before dawn, this also fell a couple of days after a full moon which would bring in woodcock. So off I went in the pre dawn darkness to give the dogs a run and take in the sights of the foreshore. 

As we ventured through the dunes the dogs disturbed a woodcock that rose and was silhouetted against the lightening sky. It only flew a short distance and dropped back down into the sea buckthorn, no doubt tired from its journey across the North Sea. Onto the foreshore and the little dog was beside himself with excitement as I think he had never seen such a wide open space to gallop. We walked along for a mile or so in the ankle deep water with both my dog and our new companion having a great time. He was no longer the pristine white colour he arrived at out house in! We saw numerous waders and large skeins of pinkfeet geese called out overhead. Not another soul was seen as another day started. I do not get out onto the foreshore as often as I should despite it being only a few miles from my house, it certainly is a magical place to be.

The dogs thoroughly enjoyed themselves with my little black cocker having another surprise later as I am going to flight a teal or two on a friends splash just inland a little.

image.jpeg.4a7498dcabc664d041a4c9d5295f88e2.jpeg