6 year old and a .410 help

Centrepin

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Yes I only let him have a few shots too. I think static Clay's are a good idea, it'll get him used to the gun.

My local RFD has some .410 in stock single barrel from about £20 upwards. I can afford to cut the butt back on one for a few shots a week for a couple of years and either pass it on, scrap it or let someone have it for parts.

Thanks for all the advice👍

Try looking for a folding 410. Our yildiz was only 80quid or something like that. Chopped a bit off the stock and it does fit him ok with a comb raiser.

The trouble we have is the ear defenders get in the way a bit and he's left eye dominant as he tries to crank his head over the stock.  Really I should try and get him to shoot off the left shoulder.

Some static clays or balloons on sticks keeps them entertained. 

Best of luck. 

A club member wanted to prop Clay's on a box and have his 6yr old grandson break them, so I brought my 9mm flobert garden gun, cut a stick with a fork at one end and sharpened the other so it would hold the guns weight, and he held the butt with both hands like an anti aircraft gunner. Worked great, he was a happy little boy. 9mm flobert doesn't kick at all with the tiny load in a 5lb gun, and the sound is like a champagne cork popping. Chiappa little badger comes in 9mm flobert, and weighs as much as a can of drink.

Edited by tx4cabbie

Cheap small caliber "throw away" gun and take the stock right down, fit a but pad, add an inch at a time as he grows. The left eye right hand situation is the thing that will kerfuffle him.

There are some very good adhesives on the market now that will hold everything together without the need for loads of screws in the stock.

Other option would be something like the very customisable crossman co2 pistol and see if there is a collapsible stock available, think it's the 2240, there's a whole custon industry built up around these little pistols. 

I had a chat with my local RFD yesterday, I'm fortunate that his shop is just 1 minute away from home and like me he's a grandad and understands my problem.

He's now on the look out for what I want in .410. He advised against 9mm as a lot of what he sees that would be ok are section 1 because of the short barrels.

He had in the ideal type gun, near on a perfect size, but, out of proof, so when he next goes to auction early Dec he maybe able to pick me something up. Also says whatever I get, I can sell him back towards the next size for him at no loss. He can shorten the butt on something suitable and fit a plate, rubber, or cushion when he can take some measurements. I can borrow any gun to try for him first.

So nice to have a guy that understands and isn't in it for the huge buck. He's more than likely to have my grandson as a lifelong customer instead.

He's also offered me an almost new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for £1100 or a new one for £1450. If it wasn't for xmas coming fast I'd be shooting one or the other this weekend.