Birds on Berries

Old Boggy

Whilst watching Gardeners World the other day, Monty Don mentioned that birds (not necessarily pigeons) tend to go for brighter coloured (orange and red) berries before then turning to darker (black and purple) ones.

I'd not previously given this much thought, but it does reinforce what I am currently finding, that the few pigeons that I have shot recently have had hawthorn berries in their crops in lieu of ivy berries.

Obviously pigeons, being opportunist birds will, at this time of year and to conserve energy, feed on any available food nearest to their roosting woods.

This may explain why they have recently totally ignored one of my favourite little woods with trees covered in ivy, for roadside hedgerows where hawthorn berries (or should that be just Haws - JDog to advise).

Anyone else finding similar ?

OB

19 hours ago, JDog said:

Good numbers of pigeon have been feeding on this Ilex all day today. The shrub behind it laden with berries is a Cotoneaster. I have yet to see pigeons eating those fruits.

pigeons on Ilex..jpg

The blackbirds love the berries on the cotoneaster outside our dining room window and are a joy to watch at close quarters. As you note JDog, wood pigeons although quite tame on our bird table and on clover on the lawn have never shown any interest in the cotoneaster.

OB